Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Whats your view on other writers finishing books/series

A writer has been hired to pen a fourth instalment to the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series by author Stieg Larsson, its Swedish publishers have said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25419214

I hope this lives up to the other books in the series.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't like it, and I never read them. I think of the original author's work as the "canon", and don't even acknowledge the existence of other books in the series. To me, no subsequent author can exactly match the tone and style of the original author. I've tried a couple, and found that to be true.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
That's how I feel, too.

The possible exception would be Brandon Sanderson completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, because Sanderson, as I understand it, worked with Jordan when the latter was terminally ill. I say that, but I've been in no great rush to read the last few Wheel of Time books, so I'm not sure I really believe it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Without the ability of other writers picking up where Keith Laumer left off on his excellent Bolo series, it would have died a sad and lonely death. So I completely support the option of having other writers pick up where the original writer left off.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm all for it if the author left substantial notes/work on those last works ESPECIALLY if it was part of the series. Most fans, including myself, would like to see how the author was going to wrap it up. The bigger problem is to find a writer of enough substance in the genre to actually take up that work. They'd rather be writing their own work.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Depends on the writers used... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... and occasionally it works very well. For series where there feels more left to do, I will usually give a follow-on writer a chance...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm all for it if the author left substantial notes/work on those last works.
That was my first thought on this book, until I read the writer did not have access to the original unfinished manuscript.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought the new Jeeves & Wooster book was fairly close to Wodehouse's original series.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't approve of authors dying before their series are finished. It's unprofessional.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not a fan of the concept.

While I absolutely adore the works of both Robert Ludlum and Eric Van Lustbader, I find it dopey beyond comprehension to have Lustbader continuing to write Jason Bourn novels. Lustbader does action scenes better. Ludlum does complex conspiracies better. It just feels like advanced fan fiction.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't like it, and I never read them.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't approve of authors dying before their series are finished. It's unprofessional.
And inconsiderate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Not a fan of the concept.

While I absolutely adore the works of both Robert Ludlum and Eric Van Lustbader, I find it dopey beyond comprehension to have Lustbader continuing to write Jason Bourn novels. Lustbader does action scenes better. Ludlum does complex conspiracies better. It just feels like advanced fan fiction.
Same sentiments on both authors. My best friend read a couple of the Lustbader Bourne books and she loathed them. I told her it served her right for reading them in the first place
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I personally was not a fan AT ALL of "And Another Thing..." the supposed sixth book to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, written by Eoin Colfer. He had no idea how to write a book in the spirit of Douglas Adams. It is possible other authors could finish off other peoples' series's properly; I suppose it depends on who is doing the writing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
LOL! That's the first thing I thought too

I think it's stupid to keep writing and writing and writing.... AND WRITING.... without an end in sight, especially if you're a bit older already. Up to this time, is has prevented me to read The wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth, because I'll be reading that has no ending (yet?).

Yes, it might keep readers coming back, but it may also wear them down. "Are we EVER going to see a conclusion?"

If one wants to write a long series, it would be best to do it in trilogies, making each trilogy one cohesive story, and finishing the trilogy in such a way that a reeader can either keep reading the next trilogies, or stop reading without having to wonder how it would all end.

So, in short:

- Approve if another writer finishes a series as not to leave readers hanging forever.
- Don't approve if a writer picks up the series and keeps going and going.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'm for it if I like the book. Some are good some are bad and probably more are so-so.

I read some Robert Goldsborough Nero Wolfe books, and liked them. Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone books by Michael Brandman - good, Spenser by Ace Atkins - so so and the Christmas book finished by his editor deteriorated quickly.

The one I have a hard time dealing with is the Robert K. Tanenbaum Butch Karp books which I love, but they were actually ghostwritten from the beginning by his cousin and then they had a falling out and supposedly Tanenbaum is writing them now.

Lot of series are written by different authors - coauthors and many I have enjoyed, many I haven't. thieves World and Wildcards come to mind.

As long as there is no trickery involved, and perhaps even if there is, I don't get all nutso about it. If I like the book, good, if I don't, I don't have to read the next one although sometimes I will. After all I have read some less than stellar books by authors I love, and it doesn't affect how I view the books that caused me to love them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The possible exception would be Brandon Sanderson completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, because Sanderson, as I understand it, worked with Jordan when the latter was terminally ill.
Sanderson never met Jordan. He was working from notes left by Jordan.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote