Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Talking Get "Infected" by Scott Sigler

Just dropping a note from twitter-land to let everyone know that Scott Sigler has gotten permission from his publisher to give away electronic copies of his new hardcover book, Infected. (For those not familiar with Scott Sigler, he is known for his horror/sci-fi audiobooks)

From his blog:

Quote:
Crown Publishing is letting me give away the PDF of INFECTED from March 27 through March 31, leading up to the hardcover in-store release on April 1. So download it! Feel free to email the link to anyone you know.
Please do not email the PDF, email the LINK.
This is so I can prove to Crown the value in giving away content, and if your friends click on the link, that counts on their server stats - emailing the PDF doesn't count on the stats.
THANKS & ENJOY!
Get Infected here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2365522938_a132c2e8d5_m.jpg
Views:	1511
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	11796  
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the info. Downloaded..
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i certainly will *not* read this novel (my imagination is far too overactive, no horror for me thank you or i would have to leave all the lights on all night and risk getting no sleep for weeks...) however i think it is a good initiative and i want to help him prove his point to the editor, so i have downloaded it as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just downloaded the book and will attempt to convert it to LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Anthuzad
Jester
Anthuzad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 700
Merci for posting this. Always nice to be able to have a look at an author for free before buying his stuff =)

PS: JS if you manage to convert it in a satisfactory manner could you pass the LRF along to me? I would be very much obliged because that would save me some time and it seems you're doing it already anyways :P
Anthuzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
zara
zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zara , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: palm tx
thx! every instinct in me tried to resist downloading a file off the internet blatantly labelled "infected", but I snagged it right away regardless
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zara View Post
thx! every instinct in me tried to resist downloading a file off the internet blatantly labelled "infected"
hee ! i had that reaction too...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just took a look at the PDF and this look like the serial episodes put together into one PDF to make a whole. It's filled with "enter InfectedNovel.com for more" all over the place. This will have to be stripped out for sure. I hope the hard cover doesn't have this mess all through it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Nice, even tough I would have prefered a .prc file.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, i certainly will *not* read this novel (my imagination is far too overactive, no horror for me thank you or i would have to leave all the lights on all night and risk getting no sleep for weeks...) however i think it is a good initiative and i want to help him prove his point to the editor, so i have downloaded it as well.
Ditto!! I'll download it for the message, but doubt if I'll read it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have used the pdflrf program to process the pdf file for the Sony Reader.

I have just run a linux (well, FreeBSD ;-) ) command
./pdflrflinux-0.99 --input=infected_novel.pdf --output=infected_novel.pdf.lrf

and the result stunned me beyond belief.
Holy $DEITY !
pdfrlf has produced absolutely unbelievable results just with out-of-the-box settings.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Somehow when I try to open it my Cybook restarts, anyone else experienced this problem?

Last edited by arit; 03-27-2008 at 09:19 PM.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
I downloaded the .pdf, but I won't be reading it most likely. I pre-ordered the hard copy when I heard it was coming out from a major publisher.

If I remember correctly, Sigler also did this with the release of Ancestor. Nice trend by him.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #14
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I tried converting it from PDF using pdf2lrf, and it did a reasonable job. However it still has the some garbled header text, page numbers, and the link on each page. Any easy way to tidy it up a bit?
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I opened it with Foxit Reader Pro then saved it as a text file, works great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free e-book, infected, scott sigler