Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
mhowe
mhowe began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
First experience with Jetbook Lite -- screen issue

Hello everyone. I recently bought a Jetbook Lite from overstock.com after reading good things about it. When I tried it I noticed that the screen was almost unreadable in ordinary light. Even sitting up with a 60W bulb about a foot and a half to the side of my head I had to angle the screen and read it on a slant. Sitting at my desk, the device had to be almost directly under the light source and sliding it toward me a little made the screen almost unviewable. This seemed to me to be contrary to what I read in the reviews, and was not going to work for me, so I have requested a return authorization. I like everything else about the device, though, including format support, SD card slot, and replaceable batteries. Is the screen generally well viewable under normal lighting conditions? Does it sound like I experienced normal behavior and the screen is just not going to suit me, or does it sound like I got a defective device and should order again from another vendor? Since I can't go try one out in a store, it would nice to get your thoughts before I took another shot. Thank you for reading this.
mhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I have one that I've read under many indoor lighting situations. It just happens that I haven't taken it outside; I have no reason to believe it would be hard to read outdoors. I've even read it in bed with a booklight that's like a glorified led flashlight. All with no problems whatsoever. So it sounds like you got a defective unit.

I'm sure others will be along to add their experiences.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a condition the reflective TFT LCD displays sometimes suffer from that involves
viewing under very intense light, where there is a shimmer to the text displayed. Living
in the center of Texas, I have encountered that issue when outside in the direct sun, but
it is not a problem, for me, if I move into the shade. Under all other lighting conditions,
in which I would normally be reading a paper book, the JBL has performed very well.

I also would believe that you probably have a bad unit, none of the four that I have
display those problems. I am nearsighted and tend to read using my JBL without my
glasses, holding it at about 8", when using the small #12 font size.

If "Overstocked" will not replace it, you should contact Ectaco for a replacement.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowe View Post
Does it sound like I experienced normal behavior and the screen is just not going to suit me, or does it sound like I got a defective device and should order again from another vendor? Since I can't go try one out in a store, it would nice to get your thoughts before I took another shot. Thank you for reading this.
I have never had trouble reading mine under any light in which I could read a normal book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote