Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #106
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
According to me, no. According to family and friends of mine, yes.
Tell me about it. Apparently eight ereaders is a bit excessive, who knew?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #107
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Tell me about it. Apparently eight ereaders is a bit excessive, who knew?
If you're using them all simultaneously, perhaps.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #108
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Hmmm, they seem to be getting smaller:)

I've got four.
In order purchased:

Nook STR - I've loaned the Nook out to a co-worker, as it was too big.
Sony PRS-350 - I love my Sony, especially its dictionaries!
Kobo Mini - Got the Kobo because it's smaller than the Sony.
TrekStor Pyrus Mini - The Pyrus Mini is smaller still.

I like smaller-sized devices because I travel carry-on only and pack small.

The Pyrus Mini has become my daily reader. It's so small that I find myself
taking it everywhere. It's also my favorite to read in bed, since it is non-touch.
My other readers will sometimes turn several pages when a sheet/blanket edge brushes them.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #109
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro traveler View Post
Kobo Mini - Got the Kobo because it's smaller than the Sony.
I've thought, now and again, of getting the Kobo Mini for the size, and the novelty of having such a small ereading device, but I'm a little worried about how often one might have to "turn pages" with a screen so small. Is it bothersome, or do you not really notice it?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #110
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Hello sneakyspider,
I was wondering the same thing before buying one and I discovered that I don't turn pages that often (or it doesn't seem to be that often). I really like the small size when I'm using public transit or when I'm reading in bed all tucked under the blankets.
This week I used my Sony 650 again. At first I was surprised by its heaviness, but the size difference wasn't an issue one way or another.

If there was a Mini Glo, I would buy it in a heartbeat! If I had to change (from Kobo), I would try and hunt a Sony 350. 5" is really a convenient size
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #111
sneakyspider

Thanks for answering my question. I'm glad to hear the screen size isn't a hindrance.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #112
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Hi sneakyspider,
Like samhy, I also don't notice turning pages more often than I'd like with the Kobo Mini.
A Calibre tip from Mrs_Often helped get a few more words on every page, also.
Surprisingly, my Pyrus Mini is better at using its screen real estate and gets more words
on a page vs. the Kobo Mini, even though its screen is smaller.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #113
sneakyspider

I've been thinking of getting the Pyrus Mini, though I might have to wait awhile as I've already acquired five ereaders since I last posted on this thread. I bought a black Kobo Mini, a white Kindle 3, a Kindle 2, a Kindle 1, and a Jetbook Mini. It sounds like a lot, but they were all used, so it didn't break the bank too much.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #114
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I love the screen size and the light weight of the Kobo Mini. If one of the major companies makes a lighted one, I will buy it--Kindle, Nook, Sony, Kobo. Don't really care who makes it, just want small, light, and lighted, reading a standard format, with at least 2gb storage. (I never bought a Jetbook Lite because of its format limitations).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #115
sneakyspider

Though I don't know if it'll ever happen, I'd really love a Kindle Mini (with lighting would be even better - a Paperwhite Mini!).
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #116
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device. I mean, I have an iPad2 plus a Sony PRS-T1. My iPad2 was not purchased for ereading, but I started to do so and then got a Sony ereader, just for reading.
But I see that others have a Kindle, as well as a Kobo Touch and sometimes even more than two!
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
I usually have a momentary favorite. For the last circa 6 months this has been Kindle Paperwhite. But I'm reading on various devices in parallel.
For one, I have my 3 main libraries (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) on all of my tablets.
Plus I have dedicated readers and/or tablets for those 3 main libraries.
Why more than a single favorite?
I'm always tempted to buy the "next big thing". So if something new comes out and I buy it, for some time it becomes one of my travel companions. Then often I buy books for a second or even third time. My favorites I have on almost all platforms, so I have them available no matter what.
In the beginning, when my collection started to grow, I stripped my books from DRM and converted them via calibre to the other platforms. But I found, it isn't worth the effort for me anymore. Now I take my favorite units, normally about a handful of them, with me on my trips of more than 3 days. And then I buy my books on whatever unit just comes handy.
So my books are spread over numerous platforms:
About 900 Kindle, 400 Nook, 300 Kobo, 600 ePUB, 300 PDFs, 700 LITs, 300 MOBIs and so on...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #117
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Though I don't know if it'll ever happen, I'd really love a Kindle Mini (with lighting would be even better - a Paperwhite Mini!).
Paperwhite already is incredibly small. Wouldn't I know any better, I'd take it for a 5" unit, not a 6" one. Would you really want it to be any smaller? Then you would be down to the size of the bigger smartphones, such as Samsung Galaxy Note.
Personally, I can read fine on my Nokia Lumia 920 for example. But I only use it on special occasions, for example on a cramped train. But if I can freely choose, I wouldn't go for it. 5" is the bare minimum, preferably 6".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #118
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Paperwhite already is incredibly small. Wouldn't I know any better, I'd take it for a 5" unit, not a 6" one. Would you really want it to be any smaller? Then you would be down to the size of the bigger smartphones, such as Samsung Galaxy Note.
Personally, I can read fine on my Nokia Lumia 920 for example. But I only use it on special occasions, for example on a cramped train. But if I can freely choose, I wouldn't go for it. 5" is the bare minimum, preferably 6".
I recently bought a Kobo Mini, which has a 5" screen. I will admit that my Kobo Mini is not my go-to ereader, but every now and then if I want to pick up an ereader and just read a few pages, then it serves me very well.

Also, part of the reason I buy more ereaders, even though I technically only really need one is because I love the variety, so the more variations out there, the better, is my opinion.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 06-27-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #119
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Kindle paperwhite, nook simple touch, kobo mini x 2, iPad mini, galaxy tab 2 10.1, galaxy note, iPod touch.

Previous devices:

Sony PRS-300
Kindle keyboard (3)
Kindle touch
Kobo glo
Nexus. 7

Last edited by shanghaichica; 07-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #120
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
3 x T2
2 x T1
1 x Kobo Aura HD
1 x Pocket Book 902

To put it simply: T2 is the greatest reader in the world of all times when AMR (from rupor) and Cool Reader (from jotas) are installed. I doubt if T3 will be any better - they might go the PaperWhite way and screw things up just as badly.
Look at Kobo Aura HD: of the three new bad things in PaperWhite they managed to incorporate two.

I cannot believe that there are people who don't like T2 or who like T1 more than T2.
First of all, the white color of the screen of T2 is warmer, not bluish - just perfect.
The buttons are so much more pleasant to use than that narrow row without gaps on T1.
It is not glossy like T1 (at least the black one).
And its unofficial software is more developed than on T1, makes a big difference (thanks rupor!)

So I am very happy I got three of them before it became problematic to get T2 with firmware 1.0.03 or less.
Who wants a non-hacked reader?

Kobo Aura HD has the screen very similar to T2 only larger. It is really great: the screen and the text on it looks just like on T2 with the same great Amasis font.
With T2 I mostly read in landscape, Aura does not even have landscape, no need for it;
But Aura has no buttons and its software is on the level of not hacked T2.
Maybe things will change with Aura, let's hope. But for now I am not stocking nor stacking them just yet.

Last edited by parkher; 06-27-2013 at 07:28 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote