Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Tags getting added to device without my request?

I spent hours going through all the books in my library and pruning the tags down to something manageable so that I had just 40 "collections" that would appear on my Sony Reader. Now that I'm uploading things it seems to be retrieving the tags from the Internet rather than using the tags that I added so laboriously. Is there any way to fix this? I hope? Or do I have to spend hours going back through everything in the Sony Reader software to redelete all the tags? Not to mention that it seems not to be even putting in the tags I assigned. Help!

Thanks in advance

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Now that I'm uploading things it seems to be retrieving the tags from the Internet rather than using the tags that I added so laboriously.
It is using the tags or series you have listed for each book within calibre or the tags already in the metadata of the books on your device. How are you "uploading things"? Uploading things is not an option in calibre so specifically what are you doing?

Quote:
Is there any way to fix this? I hope? Or do I have to spend hours going back through everything in the Sony Reader software
Using the Sony software to edit collections on your reader, then expecting calibre to honor all that work is not realistic. You have two software packages that do things differently.

If you want to go through the work to manually edit and maintain your tags by editing your reader then go to Preferences - Add/Save - Sending to Device tab and change Metadata Management to Manual management. Then you can use calibre to edit the tags on your reader and stop mixing software.

Update: You can control what is used by calibre to create collections by going to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin and customize it. By default tags and series are used to create collections. See attached. You can even use author or author_sort to create collections.

Personally I prefer Automatic Management, this creates collections for me based on tags and series that are entered in calibre. I keep the tags in calibre groomed as I see fit. To do this I prevent the download of the tags via metadata and choose the tags I want for each book(s). To turn off downloading tags I go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins and customize each plugin and uncheck download tags.

By doing it this way any error on my reader can easily be corrected by reloading the books to my device. In a matter of minutes (not hours) I can have the books, collections and series on my device just the way I want them without any extra editing on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device_plugin.png
Views:	246
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	56417  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-09-2010 at 06:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I got it figured out. I had automatic updates on and that seemed to cause it to download the tags. When I say upload, I meant upload to the reader.

I didn't find that last trick, but what I did was to delete all the books Calibre had already added and then restart it after switching to "only on send." I'm hoping that will fix the problem. If it still does this, I'll try it with your suggestion as well.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I think I got it figured out. I had automatic updates on and that seemed to cause it to download the tags. When I say upload, I meant upload to the reader.
Again it is not downloading tags only applying the tags you entered in calibre.

I just updated my post above with more info.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-09-2010 at 06:31 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
eric11210
Addict

Yes and no. I think what had me confused was two things. When it had automatic management on, anything I'd downloaded from the reader store was getting tags downloaded. Plus, the default for creating collections (which I hadn't changed until after I started redoing this) added "collections" from series, something I didn't want since not everything was in the proper series it was meant to be in so I created tags for specific series that I wanted to import. It was thus indeed downloading some tags and giving the appearance of doing so for other items. I think it's all sorted out now though. I did a sample of a few hundred books and it all looked good, so I set it to do everything (around 3,000 books -- most PD and free stuff with a few purchases thrown in for good measure).

Thanks again for your help.

Eric
Advert