Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #271
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I will be able to get a new iPhone. I am very disinclined to do that at the moment because downgrading wont be possible on a 4S. I'll wait.
Lol, I actually bought an extra iPod Touch 4G immediately after iOS 5's release (while there's still a strong likelihood that versions on retail shelves are still running iOS 4). If ever no app emerges to rival Stanza in terms of features and useability, I'll be able to use it on the iPod Touch regardless of what phone I upgrade to.

Quote:
My general feeling about amazon is one of anger. They ought to have had the decency to post on itunes (as iflow reader did) that there would be no further updates. That would then have given us the opportunity to remain on our OS of choice (which for me would have ben 4.3.5).
Amazon will likely need to hire someone else to update Stanza since as far as I'm aware, the last Lexcycle dev just left the company earlier this year. iFlow Reader posted the no support thing because of a change in Apple's TOS and not due to any technical changes. I reckon when iOS 5 betas were released, the Stanza developers have already left Lexcycle so there wasn't really anyone who could work on it, nor make a statement regarding the new OS breaking compatibility.

By the way, it's pretty common for firmware updates to break Stanza compatibility. That's why I learned my lesson early on never to upgrade to the latest firmware right away. Since I always had access to an extra iPhone, I always do firmware updates on the extra first to test if Stanza's working before I update my own iPhone. Seriously though, no idea why it seems every other firmware update breaks Stanza compatibility when there are apps such as eReader that haven't been updated in forever but are still working.

Quote:
They seem to have a corporate mindset which says that we will all switch to Kindle if we can't get Stanza. As if!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
What I still don't understand is why they haven't incorporated several of the best features of Stanza into Kindle? Then, they'd have a much better app--along with expanding their audience.
Hmm, yeah. At first I thought they bought Stanza for certain patents and code but now, it appears they only did that to stifle competition. The Kindle app and even the actual e-ink readers would have benefited from incorporating some of Stanza's features.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #272
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Hmm, yeah. At first I thought they bought Stanza for certain patents and code but now, it appears they only did that to stifle competition. The Kindle app and even the actual e-ink readers would have benefited from incorporating some of Stanza's features.
I agree completely with this. Stanza's features on e-ink readers would have been nice. More customization in how your epubs display.. I know some readers do let you customize line spacing, margins, indents, etc. to some extent, but it would be nice to have this option on more readers. Sony, I'm looking at you.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #273
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:

What I still don't understand is why they haven't incorporated several of the best features of Stanza into Kindle? Then, they'd have a much better app--along with expanding their audience.
That is the one thing that *would* have made sense to me. That way, perhaps there are those of us who might have considered buying from Amazon as well as continuing to use the app for our other books. As it is now, no way, ever, will I buy a book from Amazon.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #274
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
kyteflyer-- much appreciate your posting that! What great news--iOS 5 compatibility for Stanza. At least, promised iOS 5 compatibility!
Just a thought, they're promising iOS 5 compatibility. Would that still work with iOS 5.0.1? There have been minor firmware updates that have broken Stanza compatibility. What if when they release a Stanza version compatible with iOS 5.0, Apple has already released 5.0.1?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #275
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just a thought, they're promising iOS 5 compatibility. Would that still work with iOS 5.0.1? There have been minor firmware updates that have broken Stanza compatibility. What if when they release a Stanza version compatible with iOS 5.0, Apple has already released 5.0.1?
I've had the same thought. A beta of the next release has already been seeded to developers, and it may be that the Amazon people will make a compatible version for that, but as usual I am not holding my breath. The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that the email was merely something to pacify us for a while. We are a small group by comparison with the larger Amazon Kindle community, and to be honest, I dont think that Amazon really gives a rats a$$ about Stanza's compatibility, now or in the future.

Unless one of the current readers comes up to stanza scratch, i dont see any alternative to the downgrade i just did. At least I can still access my me.com mail, even if I cannot make use of all other icloud benefits on the phone. I'll continue with iOS5 on the iPad, and Lion on the MBP and iMac. But the 3GS, lagging on iOS5, has now been downgraded for the 4th time to 4.1. I wont be reupgrading again

[end ramble]
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #276
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
-snip- But the 3GS, lagging on iOS5, has now been downgraded for the 4th time to 4.1.
Why 4.1 and not 4.3? I'm considering a prev. version for my iPad.....
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #277
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Why 4.1 and not 4.3? I'm considering a prev. version for my iPad.....
Apple is still "signing" 4.1 for iphone, but nothing then til 5.0. I have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 so in theory can restore from 4.1 (or downgrade/restore from 5) to that. However when I did finally succeed in doing it (It requires other tools like the latest redsn0w and tiny umbrella, and previously saved SHSHs) I no longer had a functioning phone. Apps worked fine, but the baseband was unresponsive for making calls, sending sms etc. I gave up.

If you havent jailbroken the ipad, you wont have the necessary blobs stored on Cydia. However, I'd advise joining/reading at modmyi before attempting it in any case. Theres a lot of dross, but there are some very helpful people. Look for posts from i.Annie, particularly.

I'm leaving my iPad at 5, because there are photography apps I use which wont function otherwise.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #278
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Apple is still "signing" 4.1 for iphone, but nothing then til 5.0. I have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 so in theory can restore from 4.1 (or downgrade/restore from 5) to that. However when I did finally succeed in doing it (It requires other tools like the latest redsn0w and tiny umbrella, and previously saved SHSHs) I no longer had a functioning phone. Apps worked fine, but the baseband was unresponsive for making calls, sending sms etc. I gave up.

If you havent jailbroken the ipad, you wont have the necessary blobs stored on Cydia. However, I'd advise joining/reading at modmyi before attempting it in any case. Theres a lot of dross, but there are some very helpful people. Look for posts from i.Annie, particularly.

I'm leaving my iPad at 5, because there are photography apps I use which wont function otherwise.
Thank you so much! I've seen modmyi but not really hung out there... I'll check it out further...
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #279
kyteflyer
Wizard

Another update on the Amazon front. Bhavesh, from the Facebook group, wrote to them again asking for a timeframe if they could give it. The response suggests to me that they are waiting until the next update is out, which should not be long away

linkie here to the screenie and thread
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #280
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
There is a update for stanza up now in the App store..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #281
kas23
kas23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Stanza Lives!!!!!!!!
kas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #282
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, keeps crashing in both my iphone4 and ipad2. Maybe this latest version is not quite there yet....
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #283
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Hmm, keeps crashing in both my iphone4 and ipad2. Maybe this latest version is not quite there yet....
I've had that problem, too. Check that you actually have Stanza 3.2 (the version is displayed in the "Info" screen. Even though I saw the update in the AppStore, I *got* 3.1. Next I went to the AppStore, there was an update available to 3.2 - and that works perfectly for me. :-)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #284
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
I deleted and reinstalled in my iPhone and now it's working. Have not tried the iPad yet.

All I can think is that something got left behind from the previous (broken) version.

I just downloaded some books and I am reading now.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #285
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
/me wonders idly if that means Stanza is "undead" now... ;-)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza