Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #211
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking forward to your test reports on it!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #212
julio:map
julio:map began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprent View Post
Tried bluefire (no calibre support?), i2reader (buggy), megareader (wtf! Who designs interfaces like that), kobo (noisy junk no calibre), iBooks (primitive no calibre), kindle (ok if you like closed systems), and a few others..
I'm trying bluefire for free.

What exactly does "no calibre support" mean?

Just enable network sharing in Calibre, point your browser to your computer's calibre server adress (defaults to IP:8080). And you get all your calibre library easily connected to Bluefire. (when trying to open a book, just choose "open in bluefire".

The same works at least with ibooks.
julio:map is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #213
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
admin, please delete

admin, you may delete

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-29-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: error in post
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #214
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
The problem is that Bluefire doesn't have OPDS support. I don't need Bonjour/ZeroConf support at all because almost every time I want to download an ebook to one of my devices, I'm *not* at home and, thus, not in the same network.

That makes the Bonjour/ZeroConf support in BF totally useless for me and, I suppose, those who state it doesn't have "Calibre support".
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #215
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
The problem is that Bluefire doesn't have OPDS support. I don't need Bonjour/ZeroConf support at all because almost every time I want to download an ebook to one of my devices, I'm *not* at home and, thus, not in the same network.

That makes the Bonjour/ZeroConf support in BF totally useless for me and, I suppose, those who state it doesn't have "Calibre support".
Good post Philantrop.... this makes sense now. We're not all saying/hearing the same thing when someone says "no Calibre support."
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #216
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
Quote:
The problem is that Bluefire doesn't have OPDS support.
Why not use Safari or http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ebook...416454511?mt=8 to browse the catalog and load books to Bluefire?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #217
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Why not use Safari or http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ebook...416454511?mt=8 to browse the catalog and load books to Bluefire?
Thanks, actually, I do have ebook searcher installed on all my devices. It's nice and useful, no doubt. It's what QuickReader/MegaReader have, too. :-)

I think it's <troll> Android-ish </troll>, though, to have to use yet another app for something as simple as OPDS support (yes, I do know what I'm talking about since I implemented it once for another project).
Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #218
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

It seems more Unix-ish: small simple tools rather than kitchen-sink (I nearly wrote sync) massive apps

I agree that it should be built into Bluefire. However, given the amount of time spent downloading compared to reading, I don't find it that inconvenient to use a separate app. YMMV.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #219
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Quote:

True, but you if you're looking for OPDS support, does that mean you're using Calibre2OPDS and dropbox? If so, just browse your catalog with Safari, download
the epub, and "open in" Bluefire. That's how I'm getting my books into Kobo, and Bluefire when I was using it.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #220
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki5ck View Post
True, but you if you're looking for OPDS support, does that mean you're using Calibre2OPDS and dropbox? If so, just browse your catalog with Safari, download
the epub, and "open in" Bluefire. That's how I'm getting my books into Kobo, and Bluefire when I was using it.
No, it means I'm using my own server and Calibre server's OPDS capabilities. :-)

I *can* use either Safari to browse it and download from it, I can use ebook searcher to download books and I can use half a ton of other options.

I'm not a patient man, though - I want to open my ebook reader, jump to my Calibre OPDS feed, download a book and start reading. Took me about 5 seconds on Stanza.
I don't want to switch applications in between. Yes, that may look like nit-picking (and maybe it is! :-) ) but that's what I expect from an ebook reader and why I will buy one but not the other.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. I appreciate your willingness to help.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #221
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
-snip-

I'm not a patient man, though - I want to open my ebook reader, jump to my Calibre OPDS feed, download a book and start reading. Took me about 5 seconds on Stanza.
-snip-
I've lost track... Have you looked at MegaReader? Here is a pic of the Calibre Wifi Catalog as seen in MegaReader....
(Forgive me if this ground has already been covered!)

Edit: Note that Calibre custom columns are included, in this instance, "read", "Short Author" and "source."

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #222
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I've lost track... Have you looked at MegaReader? Here is a pic of the Calibre Wifi Catalog as seen in MegaReader....
(Forgive me if this ground has already been covered!)

Megareader's library is very nice, but it's the book rendering that sucks. It disregards all built in ebook formatting. Many books depend on italics to shift the narrator's view, and by disregarding italics specifically, Megareader makes them all but unreadable.

Until they fix that, it's a no go for me.

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #223
Philantrop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I've lost track... Have you looked at MegaReader?
Yes, thanks, I think I've basically tried every single ebook reader in the Appstore by now. :-)

Once one of those matures to become the reincarnation of Stanza, I'll be well prepared at least! ;-)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #224
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I *really* wish I could get my iOS devices talking to my Calibre library. It doesnt matter what I do, I get "unable to connect to server" I'm on a Mac, and I would love it if someone would walk me through it.

I have entered the server address as given by calibre into a web browser, I *am* on the same network (dont really have a choice here, there is only one available) and still it tells me that the server is not available, even though it is clearly running on the computer.

Can anyone give some suggestions about what I need to be checking on, when this happens?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #225
foosion
Connoisseur

Are you entering the address in the form (numbers before the colon may vary)
192.168.1.10:8080

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza