Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #226
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Are you entering the address in the form (numbers before the colon may vary)
192.168.1.10:8080
Absolutely Mine is 192.168.1.4:8080
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #227
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Where are you getting your IP? Make sure you are using your Mac IP and not your router IP. On your Mac go to to "System Prefs" then "Network." Click on your WiFi connection and the panel will show your address up toward the top just under "Status: Connected"

I only mention this because when I do a "whatismyip" on the web it reports back something completely wrong. Not sure what ip it is reporting, but in certainly is not my Mac (router maybe?)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #228
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I only mention this because when I do a "whatismyip" on the web it reports back something completely wrong. Not sure what ip it is reporting, but in certainly is not my Mac (router maybe?)
whatismyip gives your external ip address (what the internet sees when it looks at you), not your ip address on your home network, which is usually 192.168.1.x. Home routers tend to be 192.168.1.1.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #229
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
What happens when you run Calibre, click start content server, then enter 192.168.1.4:8080 on a browser on your computer?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #230
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
whatismyip gives your external ip address (what the internet sees when it looks at you), not your ip address on your home network, which is usually 192.168.1.x. Home routers tend to be 192.168.1.1.
just as info.... I'm on an old Apple Airport and my wireless ip's run 10.0.1.x
Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #231
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where are you getting your IP? Make sure you are using your Mac IP and not your router IP. On your Mac go to to "System Prefs" then "Network." Click on your WiFi connection and the panel will show your address up toward the top just under "Status: Connected"

Its not the router. thats different again. my iphone is .9, my other iphone is .10, my appleTV is .8, my iMac is .1 You get the idea.

So here's the thing. I am on the right network and I do have the right IP address. I've tried switching ports but calibre will not work on anything but 8080. I've checked my router for any firewall incursions, there are none. I am not running a firewall on my mac. I *was* running Littlesnitch but am not whilst trying to do this. I dont have any other security software running. I've switched LittleSnitch on again and added rules pertaining to Calibre... still nothing (nor any indication that anything is even trying to connect).

Back to my security settings... there *must* be something there. But if not... I am *completely* bamboozled.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #232
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
just as info.... I'm on an old Apple Airport and my wireless ip's run 10.0.1.x
I almost never see that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #233
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Airport always distributes addresses in the range 10.x.x.x I now use a billion and its a standard 192.168.x.x My previous was a Siemens and it also distributed 10.x.x.x

Anyway...

I have completely failed to do anything useful. I turned on the firewall and added a rule that said calibre can accept incoming connections. I turned on web sharing for the address as it is... no response. the phone cannot connect to the computer.

I give up. I think I'll just stick all my books on the web, and connect there to get them, or sideload as I have been doing.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #234
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
-snip-

I give up. I think I'll just stick all my books on the web, and connect there to get them, or sideload as I have been doing.
ok.. this is interesting... Don't ask me why but when I look at MegaReader and a good connection it has "stanza" appended to it and it is in the form of Device Name instead of ip address.

I just manually created another connection and I had to have /stanza on the end of the address for it to work. (Remember, I'm connecting with MegaReader.

Why does the address require "/stanza"??? I looked at Calibre docs and the simply give the device name:8080.

So, to summarize: my computer device name is:
greg-schnecks-iMac (given in the Sharing control panel)

To make a manual connection with MegaReader (and its default connection too) I have to use:
localhostname:8080/stanza

I did this and I had a 2nd calibre catalogs...

Willl someone explain the "stanza" part of this? It seems to be part of the Calibre server addressing....????

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-31-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #235
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Willl someone explain the "stanza" part of this? It seems to be part of the Calibre server addressing....????
Thats because Stanza started a movement (ok, an exaggeration) but at the time stanza was the only iphone app recognised by calibre (if you run the welcome script in calibre again and choose your iphone, you will note that it says iphone + stanza)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #236
1611mac
eWanderer

as info.. Likewise an ip address also works but it requires the /stanza also:

http:10.0.1.2:8080/stanza

is that the format you are using?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #237
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
I've tried switching ports but calibre will not work on anything but 8080.
I couldn't get calibre to work on port 8080. I switched to 8787 and it works perfect.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #238
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I couldn't get calibre to work on port 8080. I switched to 8787 and it works perfect.
ooh, I havent tried that, will give it a go.

Interestingly it is currently connected to my 3GS... but still, I cant access the library. arghhhhhhhhh. This is the itunes thing. How do I disable that? I'm thinking thats what the problem is, it connects to itunes and I just want it to let me get the library.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 AM   #239
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
as info.. Likewise an ip address also works but it requires the /stanza also:

http:10.0.1.2:8080/stanza

is that the format you are using?
Doesnt work for me. Nor does /opds which turns up if you test the server on the computer and then look at the mobile site and its address.

It has to be a setting somewhere. I am deleting calibre (not the library) and starting over, and when it asks me if I want to connect to itunes I'll tell it no, and see how that goes. I suppose, if push comes to shove, at least I can still use it to push stuff to itunes/ibooks.

[edit] That failed too. Now I have to go download all my plugins again arghh. oh well.. damned if I know.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #240
foosion
Connoisseur

Have you tried accessing the Calibre server from Safari (or another browser) on your computer?

Do you have anything on the computer which will allow you to start a server? For example, python will do this.

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza