Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
rechargeable batteries w JBL?

newegg seems to be offering good deals on these lately. 99 for new and 80 for unboxed right now. A no frills reader like this would probably work just fine for me and the price seems good, but then I noticed it takes 4 batteries which last 20 some hours. Seems like that'd make it a 250 dollar reader within a year buying batteries every couple weeks.

So do you guys use rechargeables and if so how often do they need to be replaced? Does a set last a year?

edit:
ack. Google is my friend. Looks like a good pack of rechargeables would probably last for the life of the reader (but add 20 bucks to the cost).

Last edited by soondai; 09-02-2010 at 04:03 AM.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I read a lot, and I get on average about a week, 20 - 24 hours of use.

30$ will buy you 8 rechargable AA battery's and charger.

Yep, adds a bit to the cost, ends up being a tossup between the Jetbook and the Lite.

What tipped me away from my jetbook and into buying a lite was this.
When the Jetbook runs out of power, you have to plug it in for 4 hours and do something else. When the Lite runs out of power, you swap battery's and 5 min later your back reading.

Jetbook's internal battery is rated for 3-500 duty cycles.
The energizer rechargeable's I'm useing are rated for 1 - 2,000 duty cycles.
Guess which I'll have to replace first, and which ones easier to replace.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 09-02-2010 at 08:15 AM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I recently wore out the alkaline batteries that came with my JBL and popped in a set of Sanyo Eneloops. I've got maybe two hours on them so far and the battery gauge hasn't budged yet. I didn't bothered to track the number of hours of battery life I got on the original set of batteries but they lasted quite a while.

I've been using the Eneloops for between two and three years now and have yet to have any fail on me. These are precharged batteries that will not lose a major portion of their charge over time while just setting unused. I used to to use regular NiMH cells and they would have to be recharged every month whether I used them or not. Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of ordering the Eneloops (I get mine from Amazon), make sure you get the ones you do buy say precharged on the package.

Also, steer away from fast chargers. Those will literally cook your batteries. Batteries should never be charged any faster than 700 mAh, 200 is much better. It takes a lot longer but the batteries will last much longer. It is worth it to buy a good charger to protect your battery investment. I have two, the LaCrosse BC-900 and the BC-700. The BC-700 will charge at 200 mAh, 500 mAh, and 700 mAh and is all you will ever need. I originally got the BC-900, which will also charge at 1000 mAh (also 1500 mAh and 1800mAh when charging only two batteries; both chargers hold four batteries). It was only $10 more and came with a carrying pouch for the charger with a zippered pocket for extra batteries. Both chargers have a screen that shows the voltage, charging current, etc. of each battery independently and charging current can be set independently for each battery. The charge can also precondition NiCads, discharge partially discharged batteries before charging (necessary for NiCads) and restore some batteries that appear to be dead.

The early BC-900s had a reputation for melting down that was corrected by the later units. I was fortunate enough to get one of the later ones. It has been replaced by the BC-9009 which, curiously, has had the same history of the earlier units having meltdown problems. The jury is still out on whether the problem has been resolved but it seems to have been. Still, since one doesn't need the higher currents of the BC-9009 (unless one likes BBQ batteries for lunch), I recommend the BC-700 since it hasn't had any problems. It also can be obtained from Amazon.

I have a boat load of both AA and AAA eneloops because of all the electronics I have that use batteries. I keep 16 AAs and 8 AAAs in my purse. The rest are in the BC-900's pouch (the BC-700 also fits into the pouch) which is convenient to toss in my luggage when I travel. I have a camera that uses two AAs I carry in my purse. The JBL uses four AAs. I also have lighted magnifier (old age sucks) that uses 3 AAAs, an audio recorder that uses 2AAAs, and a little flashlight that uses 3AAs in my purse. My good camera uses 4 AAs and its external flash also uses 4 AAs, which is why I carry so many extras. If all you carry is the JBL, it would be easy to drop 4 AAs in your pocket when the batteries start running down.

The initial investment for rechargeable batteries and charger is high but will they will pay for themselves many times over.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
I read a lot, and I get on average about a week, 20 - 24 hours of use.

30$ will buy you 8 rechargable AA battery's and charger.

Yep, adds a bit to the cost, ends up being a tossup between the Jetbook and the Lite.
The key difference is that with steady use a Jetbook (based on batteries alone) will be usable for about three years before the battery life makes it essentially unusable. In contrast, the batteries will never be a limit to the life of the Jetbook-lite.

I really wish all readers had some way to replace their batteries...

Quote:

What tipped me away from my jetbook and into buying a lite was this.
When the Jetbook runs out of power, you have to plug it in for 4 hours and do something else. When the Lite runs out of power, you swap battery's and 5 min later your back reading.
Actually, at least with the firmware I have currently installed on my Jetbook, you can read while it is charging. I am not sure about the original firmware or the latest firmware, but I see no reason for them to take that away in the latest firmware.

--
Bill
-
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
...I really wish all readers had some way to replace their batteries...-
Some do but you have to use their batteries and use the device itself and its charger to charge them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
...Actually, at least with the firmware I have currently installed on my Jetbook, you can read while it is charging...

Bill
-
That could prove awkward if your batteries decide to die while waiting in a doctor's waiting room, the airport, or somewhere else where an outlet would be a wee bit difficult to find. Besides, the idea of being tethered to wall power on a portable device seems to me like having a paper book with a power cord attached to it. Carrying four spare AAs takes up no more room than a charger (mayhap less).
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Some do but you have to use their batteries and use the device itself and its charger to charge them.
I understand that. But in general, with a little planning, that has not proven too inconvenient. But all batteries wear out eventually. I figure most people will get at best 3 years out of a Jetbook's internal battery before the unit essentially becomes unusable.

Quote:
That could prove awkward if your batteries decide to die while waiting in a doctor's waiting room, the airport, or somewhere else where an outlet would be a wee bit difficult to find. Besides, the idea of being tethered to wall power on a portable device seems to me like having a paper book with a power cord attached to it. Carrying four spare AAs takes up no more room than a charger (mayhap less).
Oh, I agree, but when one considers that the built in batteries in my original Jetbook still lasted 8-10 hours after two years, I think a little planning is all that is required to make sure that is not much of an issue (A 15 hour flight on the other hand could be an issue).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You can expect at least 25 hours of reading time with the standard NiMH rechargeable
AA batteries.

You might check page 5 of this thread for the conclusion of my testing:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74936

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Many (if not most) of the standard NiMH batteries are rated at a higher capacity (often significantly higher) than the prechargeables. If you will read frequently on the JBL, resulting in battery changes as often as every two or three weeks, those batteries may be of more interest to you. On the other hand, if you will read it only occasionally (as I do; I read on my TV, patched into my computer, at home), the Eneloops, which are rated at a lower capacity, will give you better life between charges.

My experience with Duracell, Energizer, Ray-o-vac, and Eneloops has been that the Eneloops are more reliable. I have had at least one (generally more) of the other three fail in less than a year but have never had any Eneloops, some that are over two years old, to ever fail. I literally have a warehouse of rechargeables to keep my electronic devices fed so it is a real advantage to me to have reliable batteries of one type so I don't have to keep track of what battery is for what device. Because of the large number of batteries I use, reliablility is very important to me.

No matter which you decide on, be sure to keep in mind that that slow charging (200mAh for example) will prolong the life you can expect before the battery will fail. Even if you never have more than eight batteries, four for the JBL and four spares, there will be plenty of time to recharge the discharged ones before the ones in the JBL have a chance to run down so there would be no advantage to fast charging.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Just as a heads up, you may run into a problem: that the jbl does not sense (or ?something) that new/recharged batteries have been put in to the device

the "universal" fix for me has been to connect the device to the pc via the usb cord (fixes frozen screens etc)

it even powers the device on with no batteries in, the bad thing that has happened to me is, i am on my third sequence of replacing batteries (free ones, recharged set 1, recharged set 2) and I've had to hook the device to the pc so it starts every time otherwise the jbl won't start

other mentions of battery problems
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85199
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...t=71101&page=5
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
Just as a heads up, you may run into a problem: that the jbl does not sense (or ?something) that new/recharged batteries have been put in to the device

the "universal" fix for me has been to connect the device to the pc via the usb cord (fixes frozen screens etc)

it even powers the device on with no batteries in, the bad thing that has happened to me is, i am on my third sequence of replacing batteries (free ones, recharged set 1, recharged set 2) and I've had to hook the device to the pc so it starts every time otherwise the jbl won't start

other mentions of battery problems
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85199
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...t=71101&page=5
That is obviously not normal performance for the JBL, you should return it
for a replacement or repair.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
That is obviously not normal performance for the JBL, you should return it for a replacement or repair.

Luck;
Ken
Agreed. I recently popped a set of rechargeables in my JBL and haven't had any trouble firing it up.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have been hooking my JBL up to the data cable when changing battery's. Keeps it from running out of power, so the recent readings, bookmarks stay current, etc.

Yes you can get replacement Li-ion battery kit for regular Jetbook. But as I remember it was over 30$ and you have to open up the jetbook to do it.

Also my Jetbook battery life was getting shorter and shorter. I was down to 10 - 14 hours and dropping. It had only 6-8 months of wear on it. So I know I'm going to be looking for a new battery for that one in the near future.

At 3-500 charge cycles for the life of the Li-ion battery I bet I had over 200 charges on it in that 8 months. (Yes I read a LOT, and I didn't always charge it when the warning first popped up like I should have)

Last, while you can technically read with it while plugged in, the usb connect on my jetbook tends to be a bit on the "touchy" side about maintaining contact.

Every time I tried to read and charge at the same time I'd end up screwing up the works and would have to reset to get it back charging.

Possibly shouldn't be that way, but that is the way it was.

The good news is my daughter is loving the Jetbook (She's using my old one) and she's actually READING (didn't think we'd ever see that happen).

So all in all, both have been good investments IMO.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
This is what I have found: After a change of batteries, you do need to hold the Power button in for longer than usual to turn on the unit - until you see the jetBook Lite logo appear on the screen. Normally, just a press-and-release will "wake up" the unit if the batteries have not been changed, and the JBL goes straight to wherever you left off. Similarly, a simple press-and-release puts the unit to sleep.

I use rechargeables and the JBL battery meter is definitely NOT accurate - slow to go down to half way then soon after that KAPOW, batteries have died. I am used to the behaviour by now, and start charging a set of batteries when I see the halfway mark. Like the Lady said, a slow charger is far superior to one that heats up the batteries too much. My current Powerex rechargeables are now > 5 years old and still holding their charge fairly well.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
This is what I have found: After a change of batteries, you do need to hold the Power button in for longer than usual to turn on the unit - until you see the jetBook Lite logo appear on the screen. Normally, just a press-and-release will "wake up" the unit if the batteries have not been changed, and the JBL goes straight to wherever you left off. Similarly, a simple press-and-release puts the unit to sleep.

I use rechargeables and the JBL battery meter is definitely NOT accurate - slow to go down to half way then soon after that KAPOW, batteries have died. I am used to the behaviour by now, and start charging a set of batteries when I see the halfway mark..
My experience with my JBL is exactly the same.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
My experience with my JBL is exactly the same.
Same here. Once I identified the behavior, it was easy to adapt. GhostHawk's little trick of hooking up the USB cable before changing batteries might be handy if the batteries die at home instead of away (as, sadly, usually happens to me).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.