Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
elsuave
elsuave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Protective Nook Cover

Hey guys. I'm looking for a Nook cover that fully protects the device. I'd prefer an encompassing cover since I intend to keep it in a satchel bag along with other things, so I don't want dirt/grime to sneak in via open sides/slots (which appears to be the predominant scheme for Nook covers).

From the options on BN.com, the Hutton Envelope cover (http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Hutt...?cds2Pid=30261) appears to be the best option, with the Mercer Slip Cover (http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Merc...?cds2Pid=30261) being the cheaper, but inferior, option (really, no strap on the top?!). Unfortunately, I have difficulty rationalizing paying for a $40 cover.

So: does anybody know of cheaper, alternative covers that would fit this profile? I care so little about looks that my Nook box has been my cover for the past few weeks; I just need something that keeps my Nook safe.
elsuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I have the Mercer-Slip-Cover and wouldn't recommend it. It's not stable/thick enough to protect the device. The nook fits well into the cover, though it can too easily slip out.

If you want protect your device with a nice cover then i would favor the Dillane Plaid Cover or something similiar.
The Hutton Envelope Cover is very ugly imho.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
elsuave
elsuave began at the beginning.

I have read about the Mercer's unfortunate slipping issue, and would most likely use keep a large rubber band to hold it in. Unfortunately, it still keeps one end exposed. I wasn't aware that it wasn't tough enough, however; the BN.com reviews suggested it was fine in that department.

The Dillane cover you suggested unfortunately has open sides, meaning dirt/grime could easily get in.

As for the Hutton cover, I'll agree that it is terribly ugly. But it appears to be quite functional, which is what I seek. I just wish it wasn't so expensive, so if there's a similar item available through a third party, I would gladly consider it. (For example, I saw in another thread that a dealextreme reading light was found to be extremely serviceable at a fraction of the cost of retail alternatives.)
elsuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
None of the standard nook covers fit my needs to I made a homebrew that is almost perfect. I got the At-A-Glance planner cover for $15 from OfficeMax, reinforced both the front and back covers with 1/8" thick plexiglas that I had laying around. I then padded the area between the plexi and the inside layer with the foam from the nook packaging. After removing the zipper pull from the inside, I put a few strips of clear packing tape inside the back cover to provide a mounting area for a silicone non-slip pad made for cars. This keeps the nook from siding around in a well-padded and reinforced case that zips all around.

I am attaching pics of completed case with nook (completed with a custom skin from Unique Skins) in place, and removed. I also am including a shot of bravery. I am holding my case open and vertical with the nook being held in place by the silicone pad. as long as the motion is a sliding type, the pad holds it perfectly. If the nook is pulled away such as if it we turned upside down, it will release it.

ETA: Sorry for the crappy phone pix but that is all I have at home. The only thing that would make it better is if I had some way of attaching the clips that fit the nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	55705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	55706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	55707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	55708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	55709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	55710  

Last edited by revfish; 07-25-2010 at 07:06 PM.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
I've bought the Bookarmor hard case for my Gen3 and Opus and am very pleased. The Bookarmor is also available for the Nook. I wrote a post with description and pictures: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76056. Have a look, it might be what you are looking for.

GreyCat
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I went and read your review. It looks like it uses Command picture hanging strips to attach it. Very cool since they are on sale at Walgreens this week and I am on my way there to get some right now. The only downside there is that it will obscure some of the skin.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
adrian783
adrian783 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
just keep it in the box that it came in. the box is foam padded even.
adrian783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I bought one of the cheapest ones at B&N and absolutely love it! The "Alice In Wonderland" cover is only $25 but has:

* A little pocket on the flap to put papers in
* Solid cover and backing
* A good close hold of my precious nook
* a backfolding cover

It's really nice and really a bargain!

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Alic.../9781615598854
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
sharon888
sharon888 began at the beginning.

I considered the M-Edge Latitude for Nook, but ended up choosing the Alice in Wonderland cover. I like the way it feels in my hands when I'm reading. And it's hard enough to protect the Nook when it's in my bag. However, if you're out and about a lot and want the Nook to be completely enclosed, check out the M-Edge Latitude cover. They have it at Best Buy. It has the four-point mounting system so you can read your Nook in the case. And it zippers all the way around to protect it. It's light, too.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-latitude.psp

Good luck!
sharon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Do you prefer to read with a naked Nook, or do you want the Nook to stay in-case?

Check eBay for the M-Edge cases. they are all over for half the price. The M-Edge Slip and M-Edge Latitude are both nice cases.

Another option is to check Etsy.com, the handmade goods site. Someone is selling Nook cases made of wood, which look like they could withstand anything that your bag could dish out.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote