Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
A.T.E.
A.T.E. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-300, FBReader
Am I choosing correctly?

Hi,

I had already posted this in the new members section, but maybe my post was not noticed. So I repost it here.

I am considering buying an e-book reader as I spend most of my Internet time reading things, and also because I like to read books occasionally: too much time in front of a LCD screen, too much time with my noisy and warm notebook on my lap.

I have been browsing this and other sites, and so far my idea is to buy a Sony PRS-300 or a PRS-505, if a find a good second hand deal. But it is just an idea.

Reasons: price, availability, epub and calibre compatibility, and "brand".

I have installed calibre on my computer to better understand what would be my life with the new gadget, I have been using the calibre reader, and the impression is positive.

Some questions:

1. reading your forum I see that some people say that 5" is too small and that 6" is necessary, while others say it does not really matter. As I have not had a chance to test any ebook reader, I would like to learn more about this. Has anybody who has bought a 5" later regretted not having a bigger 6" screen?

2. those who bought the PRS-300, what were your reasons to choose that? Has your user experience confirmed that?

3. I have downloaded news with calibre and read them in its viewer. The epub file contains hyperlinks that I can click with the mouse. Can the Sony 300 do that?

Thanks to all who will take the time to answer these newbie questions.
A.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
I can't tell you about the Sony readers, they are not my area of experience, but as far as the 5" vs 6" screens goes I would ask whether you like reading hard back books or paper back books? I've got a 6" device and I think its great, but I would be more than happy with a 5" as well. Whats a few extra page turns?

If you prefer getting more information on the screen at one time however, I would recommend a larger screen. For me, its just another push of a button.
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'd been using a 6" Cybook Gen3 for 2 years and was wary of switching to a 5" screen, but having recently bought the Elonex 511EB I can say I'm not finding it a problem. Yes, of course you get more words on a screen on the 6", but the 5" isn't too small, and I find I get just as engrossed in my reading.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
w1nt3r
w1nt3r began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have had PRS-505 for more than 1 year now, and I absolutely LOVE it. The contrast, screen, etc is among the best of the e-readers I've seen so far.

If you read pure word (no graphic at all), it MAY not matter if you have 5-inch or 6-inch screen. For me though, 6-inch is the absolute minimum. I am considering buying a larger screen e-reader, but I will never buy the smaller one.
w1nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I've used the Iliad and DR1000 by Irex and the Astak 5" EZReader PocletPro. For PDFs, I use the DR1000 due to screen size. For general reading of anything other than PDFs, I use the PocketPro and am very happy with it. Before I bought it, I thought I'd have issues with the small screen size, but I don't have any. It's now my favorite for anything other than PDF and I get great battery life to boot.

Even for reflowable PDFs I prefer the DR1000 because a lot of times the reflow looks bad.

My $0.02.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Since you read a lot online, you might want to have a look at the Onyx Boox, which comes with a built-in browser and wifi.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
Since you read a lot online, you might want to have a look at the Onyx Boox, which comes with a built-in browser and wifi.
That's a good suggestion.

Apart from that, in my experience there's very little difference in reading on a 5'' or 6'' screen if it's ony text you read and you don't need extra-large fonts. I haven't tried the Sony 300, but the 505 is a nice solid device.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
A.T.E.
A.T.E. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-300, FBReader
Hi, thanks to everybody.
The Onyx was a good suggestion but I could not find a swiss reseller, plus its price, so I finally bought the Sony PRS-300 silver.
So far so good.
Also, second hand PRS-505 on ebay were at least 80% the price of a new 300, so I gave up on that too.
A.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.E. View Post
Hi, thanks to everybody.
The Onyx was a good suggestion but I could not find a swiss reseller, plus its price, so I finally bought the Sony PRS-300 silver.
So far so good.
Also, second hand PRS-505 on ebay were at least 80% the price of a new 300, so I gave up on that too.
All the PRS-505 go to Eastern Europe...

Sorry... I've got a strange sense of the ridiciculous.. I'm Danish...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice, choosing ebook reader, sony 300, sony 505, sony reader