Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Bob's right. The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a kindle books is not DRM'ed, so it the mobidedrm script works for some books, but not others, and the book has a .azw at the end, try just changing the azw to a mobi and see if that works.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Kindle is mobi (99% of the time. .azw1 is Topaz). So calibre will convert Kindle to LRF as long as you have deDRMed it.

If you have a mobi book it will work fine on your Kindle with no conversion as long as it has no DRM on it.

BOb
This is good to know--but I assume that there is still the problem of buying from Amazon in the first place, for which you need to have a registered Kindle? Or is there some way around that?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
How do you know if a Kindle eBook has DRM before you buy it?

And also what ShellShock said!

Last edited by rebarnmom; 01-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
If you bought a Kindle and had it registered to your account and then sold the Kindle or returned it to Amazon, would you still be able to buy Kindle books?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
If you bought a Kindle and had it registered to your account and then sold the Kindle or returned it to Amazon, would you still be able to buy Kindle books?
No. It would have to be de-registered in order for someone else to use it.

Therefore, once its not longer registered to you, your access is done.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, you need a registered Kindle, otherwise Amazon won't sale to you. The DRM is tied to a specific device. I don't think you can buy from Sony without a Sony reader either, for that matter.

As far as I know, there is no way to know up front if a book has DRM or not. Older books seem to be more likely to not have DRM. I guess you could download the sample of the book and see if that has DRM. I haven't tried that personally, but it's something to try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yes, you need a registered Kindle, otherwise Amazon won't sale to you. The DRM is tied to a specific device. I don't think you can buy from Sony without a Sony reader either, for that matter.

As far as I know, there is no way to know up front if a book has DRM or not. Older books seem to be more likely to not have DRM. I guess you could download the sample of the book and see if that has DRM. I haven't tried that personally, but it's something to try.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can (buy from Sony, that is).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry to bring back up an old thread but I couldn't find a newer one. I do not own a Kindle but was wondering if it's now possible to buy a kindle book through the newly available kindle books for PC's software offered by Amazon and then stripping the DRM?

I think previously, I had to either own a Kindle or a hacked iphone/itouch to purchase a kindle book and to remove the DRM. I know this forum doesn't allow for step by step instructions for removing DRM, but any help within the rules of the forums will be greatly appreciated.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Sorry to bring back up an old thread but I couldn't find a newer one. I do not own a Kindle but was wondering if it's now possible to buy a kindle book through the newly available kindle books for PC's software offered by Amazon and then stripping the DRM?
See Adventures in discovering the K4PC PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Soilwork and Wallcraft! Exactly what I was looking for.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
dotsea
dotsea began at the beginning.

Exclamation

Quote:
However, if you do NOT have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account you can NOT buy Kindle books. So it is kind of a moot point.

BOb
This is incorrect. I do not own a kindle or any other kind of reading device. I do buy kindle books from amazon and read them using Kindle for pc, which I downloaded from amazon for free.

DOTsea
dotsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsea View Post
This is incorrect. I do not own a kindle or any other kind of reading device. I do buy kindle books from amazon and read them using Kindle for pc, which I downloaded from amazon for free.

DOTsea
that post you quoted was from January 2009... things change!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Download and install Kindle-For-PC

Buy a Kindle Book

Install Calibre

Find online the programs that allow you to remove DRM from your purchased books and use them

Import the book into Calibre from "My Kindle Books" in your Documents (or whatever your flavor of Windows calls it) folder, and convert the file to .epub from .mobi

Transfer to your ereader's memory via Calibre.

Easy-peasy.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Download and install Kindle-For-PC

Buy a Kindle Book

Install Calibre

Find online the programs that allow you to remove DRM from your purchased books and use them

Import the book into Calibre from "My Kindle Books" in your Documents (or whatever your flavor of Windows calls it) folder, and convert the file to .epub from .mobi

Transfer to your ereader's memory via Calibre.

Easy-peasy.
Its much easier: look in Google for "Apprentice Alf"
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
In order to download the Kindle books from Amazon, you have to have one of their reader software programs installed on a device you own, in order to gain access the actual book file.

You still have to convert the books from the Kindle formats to one that the Sony readers handle (and they don't natively handle the Kindle format) if you want to put it on a Sony ereader, as the OP asked about. That's where the Calibre steps come in; the OP can't just merely use the DRM stripping programs because the resulting .mobi file isn't readable on a Sony.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote