Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Problems downloading from manybooks

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I'm new here and just finding my way round.
In anticipation of my new PRS 505 which I'll be giving to myself at Christmas - a trusted friend is keeping it out of my way till then! - I've been downloading books onto the elibrary which I dowloaded from the Sony ebook site (rather than wait!). Yesterday, I spent about 2hours perusing manybooks and gathering some great books in the lrf format.
I was confused by the way the download occurred. Normally, but default, all downloads go to the desktop, but these went into a temp file deep in the recesses of the c drive. I thought I'd sussed it and managed to load them into the elibrary. However, when I looked at the elibrary earlier to check the difference between the look of the standard gutenberg txt formats and the lrf, I discovered that the books had disappeared.
When I double click on them, the ones downloaded from manybooks came up as "cannot find this file, it has been moved or deleted". I haven't done either.
What am I doing wrong? I would be glad of help please as I'm very new to this. Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
I have found that if you import to elibrary and then either move or delete the original file (assuming you have already transferred it) it will not be readable in the library...you would forever have to leave the file where it is. I have found that if I transfer these types of books (meaning those I did not purchase from sony directly) to sd disk, you can read them off of that and not have to go through the "can't find file" routine.
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Ebook library just catalogues the files, which are kept elsewhere in the computer. So if you import to Ebook library then you should leave the source file where it is. If you delete it, then it's gone and the ebook library can't find it.
Also, Ebook library won't be able to find any files that you move. So if you move a file then you will need to re-import it into the sony Ebook library and delete the original entry.

I suggest that you move the files containing the downloaded LRFs into any folder that you like. (Mine are in a folder called "LRF books" in "My Documents"). Delete all their entries in the Ebook library. Then import the whole folder. (In Ebook library click on "File" then on "import folder". ) They should all appear in the library, where you can open and read them.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks. I wasn't sure whether the elibrary was importing the content or just a reference. I think I've got it sussed now. When the download option comes up, I ask it to save the file, rather than run, and have set this as the default for all files of this type. Then I move them from the desktop to "My ebooks" (a folder in my documents) and import them to the elibrary from there. This seems to work.
I'm so looking forward to having something nice on which to read all those gutenberg books I've collected. I've that the lrf format fits the elibrary preview so much better than the gutenberg txt format. I wonder if I'll bother redownloading them from manybooks
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm glad that you've solved it BookCat.

The Manybooks conversions are machine-made conversions of public domain sources. Do also take a look at our upload section for some hand-made conversions. (Click on "Ebooks" on the blue bar towards the top of this page.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
downloads problems, manybooks