Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Considering buying an ereader as a gift

My sister has been borrowing my Nook STR recently. She has gotten back into reading and does not like reading on tablets or her iPhone.

I am debating on whether I should get her a Nook STR like mine since she already knows how to use it or if I should get a Kobo Aura or Kindle Paperwhite so she can read at night. (She stays up late ALOT.)

Most of my books are DRM free classics that I can easily load onto any reader that I purchase using Calibre and I don't think she will have an issue buy books from amazing vs B&N vs Kobo.

In terms of pricing, screen resolution, and battery life, which would be the best bet? I have only ever had Nook products so I have no idea on how the others compare.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Kobo Aura (or Glo) or Kindle Paperwhite are all good devices and have higher screen resolutions that the STR if that matters to you. Keep in mind that with the Kindle you'd need to convert your books, not that it's hard with Calibre. The other option is the Nook Glow. Operates like and has the look/feel of the STR, but with the addition of the light. As far as I know battery life is similar on most eInk readers with similar features.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Kobo Aura (or Glo) or Kindle Paperwhite are all good devices and have higher screen resolutions that the STR if that matters to you. Keep in mind that with the Kindle you'd need to convert your books, not that it's hard with Calibre. The other option is the Nook Glow. Operates like and has the look/feel of the STR, but with the addition of the light. As far as I know battery life is similar on most eInk readers with similar features.
Unless she's a techie and can strip DRM and edit eBooks, forget Kobo, the oddities/bugs will just make it more of a hassle then it's worth.

Given that the sister knows how to use the nook str, I'd suggest the nook glo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless she's a techie and can strip DRM and edit eBooks, forget Kobo, the oddities/bugs will just make it more of a hassle then it's worth.
Don't discount the Kobo on this comment alone, I'm certainly not a techie and manage just fine with my Kobo Glo. I'd love the Aura but bought the Glo a month before it came out so can't justify it at the moment.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
Most of my books are DRM free classics that I can easily load onto any reader that I purchase using Calibre and I don't think she will have an issue buy books from amazing vs B&N vs Kobo.

In terms of pricing, screen resolution, and battery life, which would be the best bet? I have only ever had Nook products so I have no idea on how the others compare.
If you're going to be loading all her ebooks for her, then Nook GlowLight. If you think she might be buying a lot of ebooks, loathe as I am to say this, I'd recommend the Kindle Paperwhite.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
Don't discount the Kobo on this comment alone, I'm certainly not a techie and manage just fine with my Kobo Glo. I'd love the Aura but bought the Glo a month before it came out so can't justify it at the moment.
I second this.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not everyone cares about linespacing and widows/orphans as much as you do.

The Kindle Paperwhite would have an advantage though, you could email her books to her kindle email address (that is if she's got w-lan or the 3G version).
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote