Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
daddog
daddog began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Question about the 8.9 HD

I have had the large Kindle DX for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. I read a fair amount of books that I need to reference. With my old Kindle DX when I highlight or book mark I don't have anyway of organizing them. I just shows me a laundry list of highlights or books marks. If it was a lengthy book I could have a hundred or more highlights or book marks. I have often wished I could categorize them for reference. Consequently I have found I only purchase books for 'pleasure' on the kindle. Anything with history, science, etc. I purchase the actual book.

All that to say have they changed how someone can highlight or book mark text in the Kindle? Can you manage them by category somehow? If so I will probably take the plunge, but if not I will stay with my old DX.

Thanks in advance.
daddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm sorry to say that the Kindle eInk devices are much better at categorizing books than the Kindle Fires. The Fires do not have collections at all. Just a very crappy carousel thing that allows you to flip through all the books and other items. It is truly awful. As far as highlights and notes go, there is no way I know of to organize them on the Fire.
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
daddog

Thanks for the reply jw, I will look up " Kindle eInk device" because I don't know what that is. Something for the older Kindles?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
daddog

Oh, I see now. Your talking about the regular Kindles, not the Fires per say.

Keep in mind I am not trying to categorize the books, but the content in them. Books marks and highlights are great, but of little use if you can't manage/categorize them. Even more important if you are doing any kind of research which I am often doing.

Anyway to do that with the Fires?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Your notes and highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddog View Post
Oh, I see now. Your talking about the regular Kindles, not the Fires per say.

Keep in mind I am not trying to categorize the books, but the content in them. Books marks and highlights are great, but of little use if you can't manage/categorize them. Even more important if you are doing any kind of research which I am often doing.

Anyway to do that with the Fires?
All your Notes and Highlights from the Paperwhite and Kindle Fire HD are recorded here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

You can copy and paste from there with appropriate footnotes.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
daddog

Thanks sirmaru! I have never seen that before! Very cool. I will be looking them over, but I still don't see a way to organize them as you create them.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
daddog

Using Firefox 'Ctrl+F' search for key words can help on a page like the one you linked above. Thanks again gents.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Snagit

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddog View Post
Using Firefox 'Ctrl+F' search for key words can help on a page like the one you linked above. Thanks again gents.
If you really need professional use of those highlights and notes, get Snagit here:

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

You can then do Text captures from that Amazon Note Site (link provided earlier) and then assign key words to every highlight and note plus add your Book Reference locations.

From there they can then be used in new books or research papers.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote