Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab
SUCCESS!!!! After a week, and doing the same thing over and over, I was finally able to connect.

Now another question, when I'm on my pc at home, and add books to Calibre, will they appear in the catalog on Aldiko, so I can add them to my Aldiko shelf?
LUanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUanne View Post
SUCCESS!!!! After a week, and doing the same thing over and over, I was finally able to connect.

Now another question, when I'm on my pc at home, and add books to Calibre, will they appear in the catalog on Aldiko, so I can add them to my Aldiko shelf?
When you go back into your calibre catalogue in Aldiko, the new books will all be there. I often browse by "newest" but it's easy to look by author or name too. Aldiko has a lot of great features, enjoy discovering them all.
Ps: I hope you used the "stanza" ip address from the post, that one really makes browsing books a breeze!
Concerning library books:
You don't need Overdrive to get library books if Aldiko is correctly set up. In aldiko go to Settings menu (upper right corner) from the home page. At the top there is a choice for Adobe DRM I believe. Tap on that and enter your Adobe Digital Editions username and password. From a web browser window, go to your library's Overdrive sign in page. Copy the URL or write it down. Mine is " http://toronto.lib.overdrive.com/".
Go back to your Aldiko catalogue menu and tap the + sign to add the library's name and url. You can then go into your overdrive account from this catalog link (I check off "remember me" so I only have the password to enter the next time) and get the library's mobile Overdrive interface and then can either browse for new books or go to my account to add holds to my cart etc. Selecting a book from overdrive, within Aldiko, puts the book on your shelf. It will have a white border to help you distinguish it from the others that are not on loan.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-19-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab
Success again!!! Thanks again Chandra for for all your help, and putting up with all my questions. I'd still be banging my head against the wall.

Now off to read.

Luanne
LUanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still relevant?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
lesliejack
lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: asus prime
My Calibre library is installed in the main memory of my Asus tablet with Aldiko as eReader.

This works well but in order to save tablet main memory, when transferring books from the desktop how can I direct data to an SD card in the tablet so that Aldiko can access it?

The way to do it is apparently covered in the Calibre Manual (Send to Device section) which recommends right-clicking on the Send to Device button (presumably in Preferences) to bring up 8 choices of action. Two of these, Send to card (A)/(B), seem to be the answer to my problem.

But there are a couple of snags. First, on my Apple desktop (OSX 10.7.5) right-clicking does not bring up the list of 8 variations. Second, if it did the manual gives no advice on what to do next.

Can anyone help please?

lesliejack
lesliejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Lee Hooper
Lee
Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lee Hooper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard & Scroll Engage Tablet Android 4 ICS
Whilst this is very good for use when you are home with your computer does anyone know if there is an android version of Calibre that can be run directly on a tablet running Android 4 ICS? I would love to be able to download my favourite papers and magazines directly onto my tablet to read on Kindle for Android whilst travelling without a computer. At the moment I am well versed in doing so on my computer at home and transferring them across by cable to my tablet. The above discussion would make this more convenient wirelessly but not appropriate when I don't have access to my home computer. I could only find a Linux version on the Calibre site, does anyone know if this has been adapted for Android. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks from a newbie here - joined today.
Lee Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I was wondering how do I set up Calibre to wirelessly send books to my Motorola Xoom? What reader app would be best for that?
I use a free Android app called "AirDroid" to set up a wireless connection between the Laptop and the Tablet using the WiFi in my house. (It creates a short temporary password which I type in for security each time)

After that it is a simple matter to transfer the files to the relevant directories. If they are DRM-free ePubs, I can then import them into my Kobo e-reader software.

This method is, admittedly, more "hands-on" since you have to create the connection each time, and you need to know what directory your files are stored in. But once created, you can actually transfer Any type of file (pictures, videos, music) not just e-books. And if I want to see what files I have where I use another free app called "ES File Explorer"

Last edited by Laridae; 11-14-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I use a free Android app called "AirDroid" to set up a wireless connection between the Laptop and the Tablet using the WiFi in my house. (It creates a short temporary password which I type in for security each time)

After that it is a simple matter to transfer the files to the relevant directories. If they are DRM-free ePubs, I can then import them into my Kobo e-reader software.

This method is, admittedly, more "hands-on" since you have to create the connection each time, and you need to know what directory your files are stored in. But once created, you can actually transfer Any type of file (pictures, videos, music) not just e-books. And if I want to see what files I have where I use another free app called "ES File Explorer"
That's all fine for other media but for "books" using the Calibre server allows you to see the entire catalogue of books, sorted many ways and see the covers and summaries which is much, much more "user-friendly" than searching through file folders and files to get your books; especially if you have a large quantity.
To answer the previous question, several apps allow you to use the Calibre server (as long as you have Calibre installed on your PC) to get your books. I prefer Aldiko but Mantano and CoolReader also have the feature.
The explanation of how to do this is at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-15-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hooper View Post
Whilst this is very good for use when you are home with your computer does anyone know if there is an android version of Calibre that can be run directly on a tablet running Android 4 ICS? I would love to be able to download my favourite papers and magazines directly onto my tablet to read on Kindle for Android whilst travelling without a computer. At the moment I am well versed in doing so on my computer at home and transferring them across by cable to my tablet. The above discussion would make this more convenient wirelessly but not appropriate when I don't have access to my home computer. I could only find a Linux version on the Calibre site, does anyone know if this has been adapted for Android. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks from a newbie here - joined today.
Calibre doesn't have a tablet app per se however you could install "calibre2opds" which uses Dropbox to get access to your catalogue. Another app called Calibre Companion is being actively developed and it was their intention to add that feature, not sure if they've gotten there yet...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
lesliejack
lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lesliejack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: asus prime
How do I transfer my Calibre library from a Mac desktop to a removable SD or MicroSD (not main memory) on an Android tablet so that Aldiko can access it?

The Calibre User Manual seems to suggest that this can be done by right-clicking on the Send to Device button (see previous posting) but this doesn't work for me.
lesliejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliejack View Post
How do I transfer my Calibre library from a Mac desktop to a removable SD or MicroSD (not main memory) on an Android tablet so that Aldiko can access it?

The Calibre User Manual seems to suggest that this can be done by right-clicking on the Send to Device button (see previous posting) but this doesn't work for me.
I don't have a Mac but have you tried "drag and drop"? When I connect my Samsung S2 phone, I get an icon for Device and right next to it one for Card A. On the phone itself, there is some help that says to see http://www.android.com/filetransfer/ for help on transfering with a Mac. It directs you to an app that you can download to your Mac for file transfers...
PS: I have Aldiko installed on the SD card (on my phone, on my old Vox) so when I add books "wirelessly" to them, they are automatically stored on the SD card without my having to do anything else...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-17-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #27
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I'm using Calibre Companion to send books from my computer to my Samsung Tab 7in. It uses my home wifi to transfer the books really easily and is as easy as pluging in my Sony. Well worth the small purchase price.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I'm using Calibre Companion to send books from my computer to my Samsung Tab 7in. It uses my home wifi to transfer the books really easily and is as easy as pluging in my Sony. Well worth the small purchase price.
If you're using your home wifi you could do the same thing (transfer wirelessly) using the Calibre Server without having to purchase Calibre Companion.
Have they added the feature to allow transfering outside the home wifi network yet?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #29
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Thank you so much for this!!! I had been trying to get these results with other tools to no avail!!!
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
If you're using your home wifi you could do the same thing (transfer wirelessly) using the Calibre Server without having to purchase Calibre Companion.
They may both transfer wirelessly but they are not "the same thing." Calibre Companion is much more robust than the Calibre content server as it acts just like a device connected to calibre via USB. As long as you are connected via your local wireless the methods can not be compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Have they added the feature to allow transfering outside the home wifi network yet?
Yes, outside of the local wifi you would use Calibre Companion's Connect to Content Server feature to connect to your home calibre content server.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-27-2012 at 06:52 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote