Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Split HTML Size to Speed-Up Page Turns

I have been converting some large work documents without chapters or headings to epub format by saving document as 'webpage, filtered', importing into Calibre, adding appropriate meta-data and then using the 'Convert Books' function.

What I have been finding is when reading these converted epubs on my Sony PRS 300 is that the page turns have slowed right down considerably towards the end of each html section (3-4 seconds), returning to normal when starting a new html section.

To me, a way to help matters was to reduce the 'maximum html' size in the 'epub output' section, in my experiment to 100kb (from the default 260kb). This in my case, appears to have worked with short, brief formatting times, and fast page turns, at the expense of far more html files within the exploded epub.

Aside from a few more page-breaks here and there, my question is: are there any other downfalls in decreasing the 'maximum html' size?

On the flip side, are there any good reasons why my Sony didn't like the default 260kb maximum size?

Cheers!
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no downside if you don't mind the extra page breaks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Sounds good to me - thank you kovidgoyal!
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote