Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Of course, the "last read" book icon now works as it's supposed to and works on the books on my SD Card...
I'm glad I updated after sitting on 1.0.0. Surprised to see that the continue reading icon works without returning to the stock homescreen for those with rooted devices. Improved speaker volume is a plus when not wanting to plug up to externals or headphone. Great that the brightness can be lowered within the reader. That's standard on ereader apps. I think everyone agrees that the lowest brightness level in the reader was not low enough. Kudos to B&N for giving us a major request related to reading.

The screen sensitivity on the right side hasn't been fixed. Mostly noticeable when doing the stock crosswords.

The highlighting bug hasn't been fixed. Still not able to drag the selection to the left. Can't select more than one word for "look up". Searching in Google or Wikipedia often requires more than one word. They can learn much from Moon+ Reader, including exporting notes and highlights.

Last edited by SCION; 01-29-2011 at 04:23 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #17
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm glad I updated after sitting on 1.0.0. Surprised to see that the continue reading icon works without returning to the stock homescreen for those with rooted devices.
Did you update to 1.1 on a rooted Nook?
If so, by what method?

My nook is Autonootered (2.12.25) and I'll upgrade to 1.1 once I now how to do it without losing root.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
If so, by what method?

My nook is Autonootered (2.12.25) and I'll upgrade to 1.1 once I now how to do it without losing root.
I used Decadences (on XDA) file and method to upgrade to 1.1 on a prerooted Nook. It was easy and painless. The only issue I had was figuring out that the up and down volume buttons are how to select in clockWork.

Other than that it was easy, quick, and painless.

I have had a few issues. Titanium Backup says it has no root access. Probably an easy fix, but I haven't looked at it yet since I don't really use it. YouTube was pretty flaky until I reinstalled it. It's still not perfect, but it's usable. Button Saviour worked for a while, stopped working, and then refused to load. I reinstalled it, that didn't help. Then suddenly it started working again. Gmail also didn't work, but now it does. I probably changed something, but for the life of me, I don't know what I did. I also flashed the 1.1 Ghz rom at the same time, so some of these issues may be from overclocking.

The new market is formatted oddly, but it's still usable. There's a new market on here that fixes that problem.

All in all, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. The book icon always takes you to the last book you were reading now, which is very nice. Also, pinch to zoom in Dolphin HD was broken with 1.0.1, but works with 1.1. The volume issue is better, but turning it up now just reveals how crappy the internal speaker is.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Try re-rooting with 1.1 Pre-Root r2. It fixes some of the issues you're seeing, and the (at least, my) NC seems to run smoother with r2.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #20
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB View Post
I used Decadences (on XDA) file and method to upgrade to 1.1 on a prerooted Nook. It was easy and painless. The only issue I had was figuring out that the up and down volume buttons are how to select in clockWork.

Other than that it was easy, quick, and painless.

I have had a few issues. Titanium Backup says it has no root access. Probably an easy fix, but I haven't looked at it yet since I don't really use it. YouTube was pretty flaky until I reinstalled it. It's still not perfect, but it's usable. Button Saviour worked for a while, stopped working, and then refused to load. I reinstalled it, that didn't help. Then suddenly it started working again. Gmail also didn't work, but now it does. I probably changed something, but for the life of me, I don't know what I did. I also flashed the 1.1 Ghz rom at the same time, so some of these issues may be from overclocking.

The new market is formatted oddly, but it's still usable. There's a new market on here that fixes that problem.

All in all, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. The book icon always takes you to the last book you were reading now, which is very nice. Also, pinch to zoom in Dolphin HD was broken with 1.0.1, but works with 1.1. The volume issue is better, but turning it up now just reveals how crappy the internal speaker is.

Az
Heh I am/have been experiencing all those issues. TiBU needs a new busybox (can download straight from program if select problems I think). Button savior has to do with usb debugging, gmail and youtube is a bug I havent completely squashed, but doing a tibu wipe on youtube data fixes it for a while.

I find 1.1 much quicker but may be wishful thinking
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Try re-rooting with 1.1 Pre-Root r2. It fixes some of the issues you're seeing, and the (at least, my) NC seems to run smoother with r2.
Thats what I am getting ready to do, although I am restoring to 1.0.1 before I do (though this probably isnt necessary)
Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Thats what I am getting ready to do, although I am restoring to 1.0.1 before I do (though this probably isnt necessary)
Restoring to 1.0.1 was exactly the procedure I followed, even though it's been hinted that you can load over the top of r1. During the downgrade I did experience a freeze of Clockwork Recovery after the restore was complete. [Power] + [n] shut the device down and allowed a reboot into 1.0.1.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
volwrath
Guru

Ha, Ive been on a fun journey. After I restored to 1.0.1 everything was fine. Then I attempted to go back into CWR to flash r2 and it just locked up at the touch the future screen. Nothing I could do would take me past that screen. Somehow evidently I / CWR hosed my boot partition. I found a file on xda called repartition-boot-with-stick.zip and flashed it via sd CWR (via monsterpack) and suddenly could boot again with stock recovery on the 1.0.1 backup.

Soo.. I guess I shall take a break from all this and then later finish the job I botched up earlier
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
If so, by what method?

I was on 1.0.0 and rooted. I returned to stock, did the two updates, then manually rooted (nooter0.2). Each step that is done by autonooter I did manually using ADB. The biggest obstacle was getting market to work because I didn't have access to a working framework.jar file to replace the stock one. I had to generate my own AndroidID for the device and put it in the appropriate place.

As I mentioned previously, I had no intention of using the appropriate autonooter even if it was available. That's why I pressed forward.

Last edited by SCION; 01-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
Ericejs
Ericejs began at the beginning.

Device: None
I never rooted and I'm on the newest 1.1 update.. how can I root my nc on this build?
Ericejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was on 1.0.0 and rooted. I returned to stock, did the two updates, then manually rooted (nooter0.2). Each step that is done by autonooter I did manually using ADB. The biggest obstacle was getting market to work because I didn't have access to a working framework.jar file to replace the stock one. I had to generate my own AndroidID for the device and put it in the appropriate place.

As I mentioned previously, I had no intention of using the appropriate autonooter even if it was available. That's why I pressed forward.
I'm curious as to why you would not use autonooter if it works properly. Again, just curious.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericejs View Post
I never rooted and I'm on the newest 1.1 update.. how can I root my nc on this build?
You could just wait until a rooting process comes out for 1.1

But if you are impatient, the best way is probably to
  1. restore to 1.0.0
  2. get the 1.0.1 from Barnes and Noble (still available on their site -- grab it now if you want it from them)
  3. follow the same BN directions as for applying 1.1, just use the 1.0.1 file.
  4. double-check that you are fully registered with BN and library and shop works
  5. turn off wifi, reboot and make sure you didn't re-update to 1.1
  6. run autonooter 2.12.25 and get to rooted 1.0.1.

Which is a functional root. And you can try various methods to prevent the autoupdate -- no definitive conclusion on which is best (although the new update does check for zoom2 in the build.prop for sure so changing that will work this time).

Then you could decide if you want to go all the way to 1.1 rooted using the pre-rooted update and switch to clockworkmod. If you do switch to clockworkmod, you'll have a 1.0.1 rooted backup to return to if you need to redo any parts after this.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I'm curious as to why you would not use autonooter if it works properly. Again, just curious.
One great reason to do it step by step is to know and control what is done to her device. An admirable position. And we all benefit hugely from it since she has a better understanding of what is being done, and often knows how to fix problems without starting completely over. So, go SCION!
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I didn't use autonooter when I first rooted. It wasn't available. That forced me to become comfortable with the manual method.

There are some things that autonooter does that I don't want: fingerprint of device changed, stock framework.jar file replaced, app auto install (/data/app), boot animation. There may be some things that it does, that I don't know about.

In general I just prefer being in control of the process. Using ADB to increase functionality gives me an understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. I've been fortunate to never have experienced issues with my device.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Scion, can you still access the last books reading, the drop down Menu?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote