Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #61
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Is there a way to change the icon for books that do not belong to any collection, or another way to identify these books so the user knows they need to be added to a collection??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #62
Zillion
Zillion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hi, just downloaded and tried the installer (on W7x86): the "Kindelabra.zip" downloaded by install.bat is always (many attempts) a "corrupter" 1KB file.
Trying the command line from the install.bat without hte "-o" switch gives the following output:
Quote:
<head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/0.7.67</center>
</body>
</html>
Entering the URL from the .bat, "http://github.com/richardpeng/Kindelabra/zipball/master", into a browser works, though, then I get the correct zipfile from download.github.com, named "richardpeng-Kindelabra-ef3d096", which I then rename to "Kindelabra.zip".

Any idea what could cause this ?
Zillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #63
Zillion

First thoughts:
1) After starting Kindelabra.py, I have to navigate to the Kindle's mapped drive in Windows myself: correct ?
2) Kindelabra only shows purchased books in the right pane; documents which I made don't show up in the collections. I also cannot re-add those books to the collection to which they already belong to in the Kindle (nothing happens); if I try to add them to another collection, that works.
That's a bummer. Guess if I want to use Kindelabra, I'm gonna have to create a new collection for all the non-Amazon books, and remove them from their original collection on the Kindle, before I start seeing reliable results....
What do you think ?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #64
Zillion

Usability:
Each time after adding a book to an existing collection, the interface "expands" (un-collapses) all collections. If you have a large 1st collection in the list, that means you never see what's in the next collections until you "collapse" (using "+" button) the first one(s). Ideally, the interface should maintain "collapsed" and "expanded" states of collections "as is", so that the user can choose how he wants to see them.
It's especially annoying that this happens after adding each book...
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #65
teegee543
teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
@ElizabethN:
- can you figure out any trends for books that aren't showing up for you or showing up more than once? (first book alphabetically, only DRM book in folder, etc.)
- Sorry about the issues with sorting. I'm afraid I don't know what could be wrong, except some sort of glitch in your install. To install PyGTK (the GUI), there are different installers for the components for Python 2.6 and 2.7. I'm going to prioritize moving the GUI to WxPython which might alleviate many of the problems people have just running the program.

@nynaevelan: I'm working on adding some kind of indicator for books that aren't part of any collection. Keep an eye out for it.

@Zillion:
- the downloader that comes with the installer is having issues. Windows users will have to download the installer and Kindelabra separately.
- yes, you need to select the Kindle folder after you launch the program
- what file type are the documents you created? does the command line window show any output for those files?
- the latest version no longer expands collections after you add a book

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by teegee543; 12-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
teegee543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #66
Zillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee543 View Post
- yes, you need to select the Kindle folder after you launch the program
Normally, Windows always reconnects external drives to the same letter (as long as it's available). Wouldn't it be nice if it were possible to specify inside Kindelabra which is the standard Kindle folder on that PC ? So that it remembers it for the next session ?

Quote:
- what file type are the documents you created? does the command line window show any output for those files?
MOBI files created in Calibre from various sources. What I mean is, user-created documents, which were put in Collections using the Kindle's interface, don't appear at all in the list of documents in the collection folders in Kindelabra. They do appear in the list of all documents in the left pane. If I add the documents to another collection using Kindelabra, it works fine, then they do appear in the right pane correctly.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #67
MiraSlunicko
MiraSlunicko began at the beginning.

Question Kindelabra does not run on Windows

Hi,

After installation and runnig the Kindelabra python script from the command line, I get the import error message: DLL load failed, the glib._glib cannot be found (it is imported by glib\__init__.py) file.

How can I fix it ?

Thanks

Mira
MiraSlunicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #68
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Do you have Python for Windows installed and added the path to your command search path ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #69
MiraSlunicko
MiraSlunicko began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Do you have Python for Windows installed and added the path to your command search path ?
Yes. I've installed the Kindelabra from the installation batch which installs Python 2-7, pyGTK, pyCairo and pyGObjects.

When I run

[Python 2-7 path]\Python.exe Kindelabra.py

I got the missing glib._glib message.

Mira
MiraSlunicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #70
hwbj
hwbj began at the beginning.

teegee534...thanks for all the time and effort you've put in, as a new Kindle user Kindelabra has made dealing with collections so much easier...thank you, thank you, thank you
hwbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #71
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
- Sorry about the issues with sorting. I'm afraid I don't know what could be wrong, except some sort of glitch in your install. To install PyGTK (the GUI), there are different installers for the components for Python 2.6 and 2.7. I'm going to prioritize moving the GUI to WxPython which might alleviate many of the problems people have just running the program.
I got the sorting to work with win7 & python 2.7 (32bit), had downloaded everything from your site but couldn't get collection side to sort without python crashing. When I updated PyGTK from their site, sorting worked with no problems. Here's the PyGTK site for the windows all-in-one installer if anyone else is having this issue.

http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html

Thanks again for the program.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #72
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Hi:

I do not know what I am doing wrong, I have installed all the files but when I select the kindelabra.exe file it still opens 0.1 version, how do I get the latest version?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #73
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
So far, the program is working well with Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm getting a few books that jump out of their collections once I restart my Kindle. These "orphans" are non-DRM'd books from various collections - some are personal documents, some are ebooks. It makes my OCD kick up a fuss. Otherwise, it's a nice little program.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #74
rkildu
rkildu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I just got this to load on Windows XP

After reading the the entire thread a couple of times and having a couple of problems with the install I realized a couple of things.

1. The Kindle has to be connected to the computer (DUH)
2. The Kindle has to have at least one collection defined (another DUH)
3. Unzip the Kindelabra Install .zip into a work folder
4. Run the install.bat
5. It will run several installs of various required tools, just accept all default values and press the next button.
6. When the Install.bat completes extract the Kindelabra run files into your work folder.
7. It will create a folder named "RichardPeng-Kindelabra...", I moved that folder into my computer "Program Files" Folder.
8. Open that folder and Right click on Kindelabra.Py and create a shortcut and place it on your desktop. (You have to do this after you move the folder to where ever you want it)

The GUI Window should now run, click on the Shortcut you just created.

When the Gui opens there is a message at the bottom that tells you to select your Kindle Home folder and you should be in business.

I hope this helps
Rod
rkildu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #75
Shinywen
Shinywen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Briefly skimmed the 5 pages here to get the gist of what I'm in for... an exciting morning of playing with Python and such on my little-used Windows partition =) I do, however, third the motion for someone to develop a collection manager for Mac.
Shinywen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, kindle, manage