Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
If you don't want a cheap knock off don't buy on eBay from a Chinese seller. But you didn't say cheap knock off in your OP. You said cheaply made. They are all cheaply made.

As Rizla said, what you want doesn't exist. You can't have your cake & eat it too. No such thing as low price, good quality. The two are not synonymous.
Again, I disagree. By cheap I meant poor quality, not low cost. I get that I'm not getting the best thing out there at a low price, but I have already listed several ereaders that are "cheap," namely the Nook Simple Touch, the Kindle 4, and the Kobo Mini, that I consider well made. Maybe I phrased it wrong, but I meant a cheap knock off. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Yeah, I'm not really looking for a Kindle this time. I was more looking for something that I haven't had any use in before. As for why I need another ereader, when I already have so many...?

I don't, not really. But I like to have a lot of choices in my reading, and I was looking for a basic ereader that isn't too expensive so I don't have to worry about it breaking.
Although it isn't eInk (it's reflective LCD), you might consider an Aluratek Libre Pro. It is still available for $30 new at geeks.com:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AEBK01FS

I've had mine for a few years even though I now have a Kobo Touch. I like the cleanness of the display, the no-flicker page turns, and the quality construction.

It is the same as the Ectaco Jetbook which is highly praised by their owners.

If you're looking for another device to tinker with (I find myself doing that with many gadgets) I think you can easily get $30 worth of tinkering enjoyment out of it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks like it might be a viable option, although from the picture it looks like the display is a really dark greenish grey. Is that the real color, or it is just from the screen's angle in the picture?

Edit: Okay, from other pictures I've found, it looks like part of that might be from the angle.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That looks like it might be a viable option, although from the picture it looks like the display is a really dark greenish grey. Is that the real color, or it is just from the screen's angle in the picture?

Edit: Okay, from other pictures I've found, it looks like part of that might be from the angle.
There IS a greenish grey tint to the screen (look at the background of any LCD watch) but it isn't dark. The brighter the light the better (less greenish-grey) the screen looks. It looks fantastic in direct sunlight sitting by the pool. (don't have to be sitting by the pool to look fantastic, but sitting by the pool makes everything better)

One of the nice benefits of the Libre Pro is the ability to play MP3 files in the background. I wouldn't use it as an mp3 player, but I do have some ambient sound files that I'll play if I want to feel like I'm reading by the beach, or in the woods by a stream.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
sneakyspider

Well, I wouldn't expect a bright white screen for $30 but I'm glad it's not as dark as the photo makes it look. I'm definitely leaning towards getting this ereader. The fact that it supports a lot of formats - including both mobi and epub, is a definite plus. I also like the mp3 support as well. As you said, I wouldn't want to use it as an mp3 player - it looks a bit too clunky for that, but it would be nice not to have to lug around two devices when I want to read and listen to music at the same time.

Also, since you own this ereader, how is it as far as battery life? And what is the internal storage? I wasn't able to find those under the features section.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't expect a bright white screen for $30 but I'm glad it's not as dark as the photo makes it look. I'm definitely leaning towards getting this ereader. The fact that it supports a lot of formats - including both mobi and epub, is a definite plus. I also like the mp3 support as well. As you said, I wouldn't want to use it as an mp3 player - it looks a bit too clunky for that, but it would be nice not to have to lug around two devices when I want to read and listen to music at the same time.

Also, since you own this ereader, how is it as far as battery life? And what is the internal storage? I wasn't able to find those under the features section.
Internal storage is 250MB but supports SD cards up to 32GB. I haven't done any formal testing of the battery life, but I've been able to read it daily for as much as I want to for about a week before needing to recharge. Probably 18-20 hours of reading time (reading only, no mp3)
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Sadly there is no such thing. The e-readers from all the main players have become cheaper and they lowered quality to do that.
Of course you can get great quality for cheap, the answer is simple, BUY USED! Or in some instances, buy refurb.

You can pick up a Sony 350 for under $50 on eBay for instance. Let's see, brushed aluminum chassis, known to work well, touchscreen, a higher def pearl screen since 600x800 pixels is put on a 5" screen. Light, portable, great epub support.

I just snagged another for about $45. Subtract my $9 in eBay bucks and my actual cost was $36. Supposedly the Sony lighted cover is included! I already have two refurb Sony 350 readers, this third one is destined to be a gift. This reader went for like $170 when new. Build quality is very nice. Reading experience is great.

Speaking of cheap, but decent quality, I also recently picked up a Kindle Keyboard for $52 shipped. It's a refurb, but otherwise, nothing wrong with it. I tipped off a relative to the same deal, she opted for the 3G model at $62. She says hers looks great.

Last edited by graycyn; 01-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
You may have heard that the Kobo just shaved off $20 for the Mini and includes a snapback.

From TeleRead: Starting this Friday, January 25, and running all the way through Valentine’s Day (Thursday, February 14), the fantastic and too-small-to-be-believed Kobo Mini e-reader will be available for just $59.99—that’s a full $20 off the Mini’s regular retail price. According to Good E-Reader, “Patrons will … also get a free [SnapBack] case in the color of their choice.”
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Of course you can get great quality for cheap, the answer is simple, BUY USED! Or in some instances, buy refurb. You can pick up a Sony 350 for under $50 on eBay for instance. Let's see, brushed aluminum chassis, known to work well, touchscreen, a higher def pearl screen since 600x800 pixels is put on a 5" screen. Light, portable, great epub support. I just snagged another for about $45. Subtract my $9 in eBay bucks and my actual cost was $36. Supposedly the Sony lighted cover is included! I already have two refurb Sony 350 readers, this third one is destined to be a gift. This reader went for like $170 when new. Build quality is very nice. Reading experience is great. Speaking of cheap, but decent quality, I also recently picked up a Kindle Keyboard for $52 shipped. It's a refurb, but otherwise, nothing wrong with it. I tipped off a relative to the same deal, she opted for the 3G model at $62. She says hers looks great.
I saw a Sony 300 for $30 (which includes shipping.) Generally, you can get several different kinds of ereaders (Sony, Aluratek, Pandigital...) for $30-60 if you buy them used. My Kindle 3 was bought for $40, my Nook Classic for $30, and my Kindle 4 was $50. Leaving out Birthday/Christmas presents, none of my ereaders were bought new. All of the ereaders that I currently own that I bought myself equal around the cost of one Paperwhite. That's three ereaders for the price of one.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-21-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you're considering the Libre Pro, make sure you look at the weight also - it weighs the same as an original iPad. Modern e-ink readers are dramatically lighter.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you're considering the Libre Pro, make sure you look at the weight also - it weighs the same as an original iPad. Modern e-ink readers are dramatically lighter.
No it doesn't. Where did you get THAT info from?

iPad 1 = 24 oz
Libre Pro = 7.5 oz.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Ah, it's the ship weight (It's from the link you posted above). It's the only weight I could find on that page of stats. Guess the packaging weighs an awful lot for some reason?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
No it doesn't. Where did you get THAT info from?

iPad 1 = 24 oz
Libre Pro = 7.5 oz.
Based on those figures, the Libre Pro is lighter than the Kindle 3 - which weighs 8.7 oz. I've always found it to be a fairly light device, so weight shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Ah, it's the ship weight (It's from the link you posted above). It's the only weight I could find on that page of stats. Guess the packaging weighs an awful lot for some reason?
It's odd that the shipping weight should be so high. If I remember right, the shipping weight for the Kindle 3 was something like 1 1/2 pounds?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #30
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
It's odd that the shipping weight should be so high. If I remember right, the shipping weight for the Kindle 3 was something like 1 1/2 pounds?
It is a pretty solid box and includes an AC adapter and slipcase. That might contribute to the shipping weight.