Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does that fact that the pre-1923 magazines are in the US public domain necessarily mean that these scans are? If I take a photograph of the "Mona Lisa" in the Louvre, it's my photograph, and I have the right to control its distribution, even though the image in the photograph is in the public domain.
The Mona Lisa is in the public domain? I'd swear it is the property of the gov't of France.

edit: no, wait, it is both :/

Anyway, here's a relevant precedent: Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. - 36 F. Supp.2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. (1999) - based on the facts of that case, which was a collection of high resolution photographs of famous antique oil paintings which Corel used in a commercial product for which they were sued by the maker of the photographs, who lost their case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgem..._v._Corel_Corp.

It is not possible to obtain new protection by re-publishing a work that has already lapsed into the public domain, unless something transformative is done, and then protection only exists as to the new material created by the transformation.

Last edited by acidzebra; 10-28-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: copyright makes my head hurt
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Does that fact that the pre-1923 magazines are in the US public domain necessarily mean that these scans are? If I take a photograph of the "Mona Lisa" in the Louvre, it's my photograph, and I have the right to control its distribution, even though the image in the photograph is in the public domain.
Very good point, and one that's come up a few times in recent months (the UK NPG lawsuit, Google's copyright claims on scans they've made, etc). From a legal standpoint, I'm not entirely sure it's clear whether scans from the older sets are PD or not. Of course, this is an entirely different issue from whether they should be PD or not. At the same time, if someone here were to scan in their own copies of the pre-1923 issues, they're absolutely allowed to release them under a re-distribution license if they want.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I don't know about stores in the north but most of NL you can get external 1 TB drives for something like less than 90 euro.

http://www.mediamarkt.nl/webapp/wcs/...ntryId=1508677

(unless you want the itty bitty ones, those are more expensive)

Naturally, I'd want a small one, 3" by 5" lie the NG one. So, that's about the same size as my passport (2.5" form factor).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
The Mona Lisa is in the public domain? I'd swear it is the property of the gov't of France.

Anyway, here's a relevant precedent: Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. - 36 F. Supp.2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. (1999) - based on the facts of that case, which was a collection of high resolution photographs of famous antique oil paintings which Corel used in a commercial product for which they were sued by the maker of the photographs, who lost their case.
Ahh, very good to know. So it sounds like there is some precedence on the re-using/re-purposing of scans and photographs of out-of-copyright works.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
In the US, they would be in the public domain. All copyright items fall into the public domain in the US, prior to 1923. That included images, motion pictures, as well as writing. A pre-Berne artifact of US copyright law. However, I would strongly recommend that they be hosted on a US server....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
In the US, they would be in the public domain. All copyright items fall into the public domain in the US, prior to 1923. That included images, motion pictures, as well as writing. A pre-Berne artifact of US copyright law. However, I would strongly recommend that they be hosted on a US server....
Sorry, Ralph, you misunderstand me. I am well aware of the fact that the original pre-1923 magazines are in the public domain. My question is whether a modern scan of that magazine is also automatically in the public domain. Under UK law, for example, a scan would probably have its own 25-year "typographical copyright".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yeah, I pulled the files from 1888 to 1922 from the CDs just to see how big it would be, and it is 1.45 GB zipped up.

An extra 150 bucks for a 160 GB HD is highway robbery. That version should be at most $50 more than the DVD version, and even that is stretching it. Buy the DVD version, and get your own 160 MB external drive for under 50 bucks:

http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/har...s/pocket_160gb

What I want is a version on a USB flash drive when the 64 GB (the probable size that would be needed) get cheap. For no other reason than that it'd be cool to have 120 years of National Geo on something that you can close in the palm of your hand.
2 32Gb SD chips?....(Already on the market...)
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, Ralph, you misunderstand me. I am well aware of the fact that the original pre-1923 magazines are in the public domain. My question is whether a modern scan of that magazine is also automatically in the public domain. Under UK law, for example, a scan would probably have its own 25-year "typographical copyright".

US copyright law is clear on that. You gain no new copyright on an upgrade unless you actually change the content. Now whether or not they changed the content on the DVD's I can't say. It's on the Googly Bits of the US copyright sticky under upload.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
2 32Gb SD chips?....(Already on the market...)
You can get USB pendrives up to 256Gb... (the Kingston DataTraveler 300 for instance, though, don't ask the price, you don't want to know!)
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You can get USB pendrives up to 256Gb... (the Kingston DataTraveler 300 for instance, though, don't ask the price, you don't want to know!)
Just checked one of those, $1000+ ...

But then, you can get a 64GiB one for around $200 and thats including a 25% salestax
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Just checked one of those, $1000+ ...

But then, you can get a 64GiB one for around $200 and thats including a 25% salestax
told you not to look!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #27
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
told you not to look!
I know... I blame Google!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Well, here's 1888-1922. I'll leave it to the moderators to decide if the links can stay or not.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/caslp1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvr8u2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9qhxe
http://www.sendspace.com/file/iak60h
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ec0usq
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qkxxjm
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #29
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
You can get a 64 GB one for a bit more than 1/10th of that on Ebay.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
You can get a 64 GB one for a bit more than 1/10th of that on Ebay.
However, much of the flash media on ebay is counterfit. It may not work at all, or if it does, it may not be as advertised.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote