Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
godlich
godlich began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert wikipedia articles to .mobi to read on kindle

Hey!

Is there a possibility to convert wikipedia articles so that one can read them on amazon kindle?
I know I can use the experimental browser to read wikipedia, but I'd like to read some articles offline. I don't need the whole wikipedia, just some articles...

Thanks!
godlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wikipedia has a 'create a book' feature (scroll down the side panel) which can output to epub. You can convert epub to mobi using Calibre.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't think (and just checked) that Wikipedia produces epub formats. Check out this tool, tough:

http://www.grabmybooks.com/

It really works very well for collecting a number of Wikipedia articles and put them into a book in MOBI format.

Cheers, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
I don't think (and just checked) that Wikipedia produces epub formats.
Wikipedia may not produce an epub but it does have a Book creator feature that will allow you to create a book out of multiple article then save the book as an ODT file. Calibre converts odt to epub or mobi with fine results.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have tried it. You can get an epub file using the create a book feature.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have tried it. You can get an epub file using the create a book feature.
I'd be interested to know how. If I create a book and proceed to download it the possible formats are PDF, OpenDocument Text and ZIM.

Thanxx, Mixx
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
One quick way to convert a Wiki article to a Kindle mobi file is to use the KindlePedia site.
http://ebookarchitects.com/kindlepedia/
All you have to do is copy the URL of the article and paste it into the window. The site does the rest.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
I'd be interested to know how. If I create a book and proceed to download it the possible formats are PDF, OpenDocument Text and ZIM.

Thanxx, Mixx
Same here.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Same here.
Open Document is probably ODT. Calibre can convert that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks, theducks, it indeed can. What it does not do, however, it does not preserve the book structure (chapters etc.), so that a book composed of several Wikipedia articles can be read, but one can not jump from chapter to chapter or look at the TOC (there is none).

Cheers, Mixx
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks, theducks, it indeed can. What it does not do, however, it does not preserve the book structure (chapters etc.), so that a book composed of several Wikipedia articles can be read, but one can not jump from chapter to chapter or look at the TOC (there is none).
This may be a problem with your calibre settings. I created a quick 12 article ODT book via Wikipedia, then converted it to ePub using my standard conversion settings and within the TOC each article was its own chapter with sub-headings within each chapter. The TOC created allows easy navigation.

I attached the ePub and the settings I use for structure detection and TOC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StructureDetection.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	88281   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOC_setings.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	88282  
Attached Files
File Type: epub sci-fi writers.epub (4.80 MB, 256 views)
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks, dwanthny, I'll experiment around with my settings to find the optimal parameters. I succeeded to go directly ODT --> Mobi, but the hierarchical TOC does not seem to work yet. Even so, this route is very useful for me.

Thanks a million, Mixx
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
deleted

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-30-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
I made a plugin for this that has a nice toc. see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183333
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks a million, Krittika, very useful indeed!

Thanxx, Mixx