Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Clunky internet experience

I know that there is a topic about wireless not working, but my case is somewhat different, that is, I can get online, but the experience is not smooth.

I ordered my device approximately 10 days ago from ereader-store.de. It came 3 days ago and I can say that so far the overall impression from the device has been very good. However internet (and some other things) are causing some trouble.

1. Every time when I connect to the internet, I have to connect to the wireless connection of my router manually by typing the WPA password. If I don't, this is what I get when I click on the Wikipedia icon, for example.

Code:
Starting wifi device
Connecting
Connected. Acquiring address

Connecting to en.wikipedia.org
Please wait...
And then it just hangs and does not move further. In order to connect to the internet, while I am on the same screen (Please wait...) I must do the following:

First, press the Home button, then go to Network icon, choose Wi-fi icon, then select my wireless network from the list and connect again by typing the WPA password. I have to do this every time. OK, almost, because I think I managed to connect on two or three occasions without the above mentioned steps - automatically. But it only makes it more puzzling, because I can't recognize a pattern when it works and when not. This is obviously a software problem and I wonder if there is a tweak to resolve it.

2. I have problems with cyrillic on some websites. Some portions of the webpage (not the whole) appear scrambled (still in cyrillic, but the letters are random and usually in caps). The interesting thing is that I can resolve this by changing the size of the font - from 100% to 125%. However if I increase to 150% the fonts become scrambled again. BTW, I have similar problems when I read fb2 files in cyrillic.

3. The fonts on the website are pale. In contrast, when reading books, the fonts are dark and easy to read.

I wonder if someone else has experienced similar problems and if they found any solutions.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
What version are you on? I am not 100% sure, but I feel like, my Internet experience has improved after I updated.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
The firmware with which the devices are shipped by default from ebook-store.de. I think it is 1.6. I thought about upgrading, but I wait until 1.7 hits a final release. Are there any specific improvements you can point out after the upgrade regarding internet experience?
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
3. The fonts on the website are pale. In contrast, when reading books, the fonts are dark and easy to read.
Opera browser has feature allowing to specify user stylesheet, for example they have black and white contrast style. I think it would be nice to have similar feature in the onyx browser or even make black and white contrast stylesheet as default. I believe this would solve problem with pale fonts. Moreover it is easy to implement if they use QT WebKit. I tried to request this feature by support@onyx-international.com email but received no answer so far .
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote