Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
November 2011 is the 13th Annual National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

November 2011 is the 13th Annual National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).

Join other aspiring authors in writing a novel (50,000+ words) in just 30 days. For more information, see the NaNoWriMo About page.

NaNoWriMo has a variety of sponsors, some offering participants special deals.
  • Blue Burron, Inc.: Yarny on-line writing tools. 50% discount on a subscription when out of beta.
  • CreateSpace: Amazon's PoD printing and distribution arm. (No special offer.)
  • Literature and Latte: Scrivener trial version, lasts until December 7th, 2011. 50% discount to NaNoWriMo Winners, 20% to everyone else.
  • Pangur Pty Ltd: Free access to PangurPad for NaNoWriMo participants.
  • Scribendi: Professional Editing and Proofreading. Free webinar on 22nd October.
  • Storyist Software: Free trial version for the whole of November, and a 25% discount code.
  • WriteWay: Free trial version until December 15th, and a 50% discount code.

Join our author discussions in the NaNoWriMo thread in our Writers' Corner.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I was actually looking at WriteWay myself as a result of these offers--anyone used it?
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'll be using Scrivener NaNoWriMo trial version:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.php

and Yarny (a browser-based writing system, kinda like Google Docs but better.. still in beta though) to write NaNo this year!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Scrivener for Windows (used Beta last year) is improving in leaps and bounds, though still in Beta .(currently) ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
I was actually looking at WriteWay myself as a result of these offers--anyone used it?
A teacher of mine uses WriteWay exclusively, and he is always trying to get me to use it, too.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Lovely time of year, Nano month. I did it in 2005 and 2006, but unfortunately my hands really aren't in any shape for that anymore. I already bang out quite a few words a day as it is - adding another 1600+ is a recipe for wrist braces.

I never wind up doing anything with the novel anyway. I finished both years, but the back half was so terrible, from days where I had to make up 5,000 words or whatever, that it wasn't even salvageable.

Still, looks like some awesome promo's. I notice none of them are for Linux! C'mon, guys. I know Scrivener has a Linux beta. Why isn't it on offer?

Anyway, good luck to all of this year's Nano participants!
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thank you for posting this information so prominently, pdurrant! I had forgotten about all the nice software offers that come along with NaNoWriMo.

Still deciding whether or not to participate this year . . . leaning toward not, just because Thanksgiving is smack in the middle of the hardest part!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Thank you for posting this information so prominently, pdurrant!
I'm pleased that the info is useful, but I am just the message writer. Dr. Drib was the one who brought the event to the attention of the moderators, and suggested a news item and front page post.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Why the National in the name? Is this only done in one country? I hope they become InNoWriMo soon. It sounds equally bad, too.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Why the National in the name? Is this only done in one country? I hope they become InNoWriMo soon. It sounds equally bad, too.
It's certainly international now, but since it started with under 20 people taking part, I guess they thought calling it national was ambitious enough!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I participated for the last three years, but the timing is off for me this year. I'll be in re-write mode for my next Detective Jackson story to be released in January. I'll be writing and working like crazy...just not generating new word count.

Best wishes to everyone who participates.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Oh, God, I thought I had put my writing bug to rest. This just might suck me right back in. Having to complete the work in a month, knowing that is all the time it would take, makes it a little hard to resist.

BUT, November is possibly one of the worst months for me. My husband is a coach, and November is playoff month. Guess who is probably going to be in the playoffs? That would mean Friday's are out, possibly Saturdays if games are then instead of Fridays.

I can't tell if I'm trying to talk myself out of signing up, or just making excuses for not trying. I don't even have an idea for a story, but I'm probably going to be thinking about it and making notes for the next few days.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just signed up. November will likely be a busy month for me, but I have nothing to lose, and I think that some creative writing (as opposed to academic) might do me some good right now; I've had an idea for a story brewing for a while.

As for software, I think that I might give Scrivener a try.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
I own the more powerful version, WriteWay Pro.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I have not participated in years; either busy with work or travelling for pleasure during past Novembers.

Have not been writing a lot these days, kind of miss it (sadistic).
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote