Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Dava
Enthusiast
Dava began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy I5700 Spica, Kindle 3
How can the cover "destroy" your Kindle?

Hi!

I'm sitting and designing my own leather case for my Kindle and surf around to find some inspiration when I find this: http://www.amazon.com/review/R387F9T...wasThisHelpful

I'm curious HOW do the cases mentioned manage to destroy the Kindle?
Guessing that it constantly pressing down some button?

Anyhow I need to know so I don't sew a cover that destroy the Kindle it supposed to protect!
Dava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They're talking about the proposed correlation between the unlighted Amazon case and sporadic reboots. It didn't destroy any Kindles (that I know of)... just made them rather annoying to use. Once the case was removed, most people claimed their Kindles went back to normal.

EDIT: As far as I know, the problem was limited to unlighted, leather Amazon cases. I never heard of any such problems with M-Edge products. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EDIT: As far as I know, the problem was limited to unlighted, leather Amazon cases. I never heard of any such problems with M-Edge products. I could be wrong though.
I don't think you are, DiapDealer - it's the Amazon unlighted cover that was causing some Kindles to reboot regularly, a problem that appeared to be solved by using the lighted cover instead.

Although no definitive reason for this has ever been given out by Amazon, most theories seem to revolve around the metal hinge attachments on the Amazon covers - in the lighted cover, the bottom hinge is uncoated, and transmits power to the light from the Kindle; in the unlighted cover, that hinge is coated with a non-conductive material, but if the coating on the hinge is scratched or damaged, the theory is that it transmits static electricity into the Kindle, causing problems.

The person who posted the review linked to in the OP admitted she placed the review on the wrong item (the M-Edge cover) and meant to put it on the Amazon leather, unlighted cover.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is highly interesting... I've just started having reboot issues with my K3, and I also recently started using a Speck brand case (I also have an M-Edge sleeve, which presented no problems, but I've had more use for a case lately).

It doesn't rub the switch at all, but if I take it out of the case it sometimes spontaneously reboots. I've taken to bookmarking like a fiend because I never know when it's going to happen and it always forgets my location in my open book.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote