Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
andre66
andre66 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350
How long did it take before you bought your first ebook

I have had my 350 for 3 days now and have not bought an ebook yet, there seem to be so many free ebooks i want to read that it will be a long time before i actually have to spend any money.
Is there anyone here who has had an ereader for any length of time that has never bought a ebook and just downloaded copyright free/library ebooks?
Andre

Last edited by andre66; 10-02-2010 at 09:55 PM.
andre66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I have had mine since Mother's day and haven't purchased any yet. I have such a variety of titles to select from my public library to download for free, I have to pace them.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Took me a couple weeks - there was an Australian book I had wanted to buy as a print book, but was kind of expensive, so I'd been putting it off ... surfing around on the off chance it might be available as an e-book, not only was it, but cheaper(!), so I nabbed it.

I've since bought a couple of others, which my library didn't have and were cheaper to download than buy a print copy. There are a couple of other e-books I have my eye on to buy, but I got my reader for free library books.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had stuff waiting to be downloaded by the time my K1 arrived, both free and paid.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If I remember correctly, I bought my first book a few days after I got my device (a franklin ebookman). Just to test things out.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I bought a few books for Amazon even before my Kindle arrived....
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I too bought before my device arrived, but that was partly luck - I found an ARC of new book by one of my favourite authors on Baen.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
before ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mmm. ** looks into gmail **
I bought the gen3 on 21 october 2008. And have an order confirmation e-mail from mobipocket the same day.
I didn't remembered the first e-books i bought where eragon though.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #10
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
The Kindle arrived at my home the 28th September and the first book was preordered the 27th for release the 29th.
Since I'm still at sea, the Kindle is empty and wrapped (I guess) awaiting me at home, but "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" has already been downloaded to my netbook and cellphone.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
*sigh*
I wish we had here public libraries with current literature. All we have here are cultural or historical works, or copyright free books from 14th century up to 20th. There might be some technical/professional books too.

Fiction, sci-fi and fantasy books? In your dreams!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I had been reading ebooks on my computer for nearly a year before I bought my first ereader, so I had plenty of books to put on my 505 when it first arrived!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
When I first got my Cybook and had it fully charged I went online immediately and purchased my first ebook. Couldn't believe how great it felt to be able to purchase, download, and be reading a book within a couple of minutes. Brilliant.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre66 View Post
I have had my 350 for 3 days now and have not bought an ebook yet, there seem to be so many free ebooks i want to read that it will be a long time before i actually have to spend any money.
Is there anyone here who has had an ereader for any length of time that has never bought a ebook and just downloaded copyright free/library ebooks?
Andre
Well, let's see. I'd had the Compaq Aero 1550 for about a year, and (trying to remember) it was probably either Amazon in their first ebook incarnation or Fictionwise, so that would have been 2002 or 2003, maybe.

I only bought one from Amazon, in .lit format. The Fictionwise stuff was multiformat and I used Mobipocket to read it. The 1550 had a lovely sunlight-readable backlit-or-not B&W LCD display, so I read them in the SkyChair in the back yard.

Good times.

(Edit: I stand corrected. According to my FW bookshelf, it could have been a little earlier than that. My first-purchased short story was released on FW in 2000, and I recall buying it shortly after release, so it could have been 2001. I have some old AlexLit short stories that date earlier, but those were for reading on a computer.)

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Last edited by Jack Tingle; 10-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I had already purchased several books in Nov & Dec before I bought my Sony in Jan!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote