Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #181
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It takes me 2 minutes to fine tune a well crafted EPUB using a set of Saved CSS fragment clips and REGEX to modify or remove, IMHO unnecessary, attribute duplication.

Unfortunately, not all EPUBs are well crafted.
Coding nightmare would be a better description for some, with major stylistic inconsistencies from file to file within the book (and they actually charged money for the mess that was delivered to the customer (me). I have seen beautifully done FREE books. Beautiful in both Look and coding )
I completely agree with this, though I normally spend more time than that. Personally, I won't be using this option except when someone complains it is broken. I might set it up for my wife so that she can adjust the books I've cleaned up.

This option is for the masses that don't want to get their hands dirty editing their books. It won't work perfectly, but it should be better than what they have. The biggest problem from my point of view is explaining why it didn't do what they wanted.

And a problem with this is that it will probably work better with well crafted books than the rubbish we usually see. The better the code, the easier it is to fix and hence a couple of styles overriding them like this will probably tweak things how people want. The worse the code and the less likely that will happen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #182
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
David
I have seen as many as 3 classes for body in a single CSS

calibre
calibre3

are the most common.

I am trying to remember if I have ever see a double digit body class one
I should have known that as soon as I said something like that, someone would have an example But it makes sense as if the input book had multiple body classes, calibre would generate a new class for each with any changes from the options.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #183
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Has your friend tried setting the calibre convert filter style option?
Convert - Look&Feel - Filter Style Info tab - Other CSS Properties set to line-height. This should remove all line-heights from the epub during the conversion.

I don't use it myself as I prefer the hand-edit approach but, on the same Look&Feel page, I do also have both the Minimum line height and Line Height boxes set to zero as I don't want to risk calibre adding even more unwanted line-heights.

Once all existing line-heights have been removed then a simple
div, p , blockquote {line-height: 1.0}
in the kobo_extra.css file should work for most epubs, with the caveat that Dropcaps and long chapter headings may no longer look too good.
That seems to work okay. I will have to try it on something with drop caps for my own curiousity.

I doubt that my friend cares about drop caps. He only gets 4-5 words per line at the minimum font-size he can read and he would like it larger. Tablet hurts his eyes.

Now I am more confused but probably the heat. Thanks

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #184
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Geoff, David, I have previously tried the p {line-height 1.0 !important} trick but it resulted in the whole epub being displayed as if it didn't have a css file. I've just tried again with 3 random epubs - same result for all of them. Have you tried it with success?
It worked OK in the Calibre ebook viewer, but you are right, it doesn't seem to work for the Kobo reader. It didn't mess up the book I tried, but it didn't have any useful effect either.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #185
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Add Aura ids, fix adding kepubs from device

In calibre 1.2.0, the KoboTouch driver has been updated to 2.1.2. There are two changes:
  • Add the device id for the new Kobo Aura. This will allow the driver to connect to the new device when released. If anyone gets an Aura early, they will need to set the "Attempt to support newer firmware option" in the driver configuration. Updates to handle the new firmware will be made as soon as I know what the version number is.
  • Fixed a problem when using the "Add books to library" function from the device list when a sideloaded kepub was selected. When the kepub was copied it was corrupted and the metadata was not read. With this, the kepub will be added to the library as an ePub. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221180 for a discussion of the problem and some other considerations.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #186
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Support for FW 2.9.0, cover image changes

In calibre 1.4.0, the KoboTouch driver has been updated to 2.1.3.

This update is to support firmware 2.9.0 on the new Kobo Aura. The only function change is to support the new cover images handling.

Kobo has changed the way the cover images are stored. Instead of one directory for all cover images, they are stored in a tree. This will allow covers to be stored for more books than previous firmware. The driver changes will handle cover images as appropriate for the different firmware versions.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #187
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Does anyone know what output profile should I choose in the common options settings of calibre conversion for the NEW kobo Aura (not the HD)? thanks for the help.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #188
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Does anyone know what output profile should I choose in the common options settings of calibre conversion for the NEW kobo Aura (not the HD)? thanks for the help.
I think the Output Profile is mainly used for scaling images to suit your screen. I always use the last one, called 'Tablet'. No image reduction is done if you use this.

If you prefer something smaller, each of the Profiles shows what screen dimensions are assumed, so just pick the one which suits you best.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #189
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Fix WiFi id, numeric shelves and sending kepub

With the next calibre release, the Kobo and KoboTouch drivers have been updated to version 2.1.6. This has three changes.

Kobo recently released new firmware for the WiFi. This changed the device id. The new device id has been added to the list of supported ids.

With the Kepub Output Plugin allowing conversion of other formats to kepub, this has been added as a supported format. This means that kepubs that are in the calibre library can be sent to the device without the extended driver. To use this, you will need to select "kepub" in the list of supported formats in the device configuration. None of the other features of the extended driver have been added to the KoboTouch driver.

A bug was found if a numeric column was used as a shelf column. This was discovered by someone wanting to create a shelf for the ratings in the calibre library. This has been fixed and other column types should also be work.

Note: If a non-text column is used, the value will be converted to text. In general, this should be the same as displayed by calibre. But, for the rating column, the shelf name will be "1.0", "2.0", etc.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #190
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Firmware 3.1.0 and added sending kepub to KOBO driver

There are two updates in this weeks calibre release.

Firstly, the supported firmware has been updated to 3.1.0. There were no other changes needed.

The other change is to put the support for sending kepubs to Kobo ereaders into the KOBO driver. This will allow people using the original Kobo and the Kobo WiFI to sideload kepubs. The kepubs can be produced using the KePub Output Plugin. Thanks to Greenmantle for testing that sideloaded kepubs did work on these ereaders.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #191
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Extra cover type

Calibre 1.15 has one update to the driver. This is to add an extra cover image type when sending covers with books. This is the "AndroidBookLoadTablet_Aspect" version and is used on the details page.

If you want to get this version of the cover onto the device without resending the books, I suggest you use my utilities plugin. Its cover upload will can replace the covers of any book in your library.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #192
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Fix fetching annotations for kepubs

In calibre 1.37.0, the KoboTouch driver has been updated to 2.1.7.

The only change is a fix to the "Fetch annotations" function. Due to changes in the way the kepubs information is stored in the database, not all the annotations were fetched.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #193
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
Example CSS Rule
A simple example of how this can be used is to put the following in "kobo_extra.css":
Code:

body {
orphans: 1;
widows: 1;
}

That will allow the text to more fully fill the screen rather than keep lines in a paragraph together.
I tried this with my Aura H2O (with firmware 3.7.0). I think it worked so that there the space is better used. But it did something more to the ebook which I don't like. The chapter title (which is a picture) moved from centered to the left. And I there is a [home] at the upper left on each first page of a chapter which wasn't there before. That isn't intended, is ist? Or did I something wrong?

Last edited by beedaddy; 10-09-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Attachment removed
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #194
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@beedaddy: If that is all you put in, it shouldn't have changed the heading. First thing to check is the justification settings on the reader. If it has been changed to left rather than none, it could do what you are seeing.

If that isn't it, I need to see the book. Or a sample of it. If it is somewhere I can freely download it from, or it is in the public domain, can you give me a link to it. If not, send me a PM with a link or ask me for an email address to send it to. I can look at it and see what is happening.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:26 AM   #195
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
@davidfor: Yes, I didn't put in anything else. If I don't use the css modification, the chapter picture stays centered no matter which justification option is selected. And there's still this "[home]" text...

I'll do some more tests to see if it happens with other, perhaps free, ebooks. I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot!
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo