Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's the best living Nordic crime writer?
Jussi Adler-Olsen 2 6.67%
Karin Alvtegen 0 0%
Camilla Ceder 0 0%
Karin Fossum 0 0%
Anne Holt 1 3.33%
Arnaldur Indriðason 2 6.67%
Mari Jungstedt 0 0%
Lars Kepler 1 3.33%
Camilla Läckberg 0 0%
Jens Lapidus 1 3.33%
Åsa Larsson 2 6.67%
Henning Mankell 11 36.67%
Liza Marklund 0 0%
Leif G. W. Persson 1 3.33%
Anders Roslund & Börge Hellström 0 0%
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir 2 6.67%
Helene Tursten 0 0%
Another writer 3 10.00%
Jo Nesbø 3 10.00%
Håkan Nesser 1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Scandinavian Crime Fiction blog http://scandinaviancrimefiction.wordpress.com/ might be of interest.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A good author not mentioned in the poll is the Swede Johan Theorin http://www.amazon.com/Johan-Theorin/...5969610&sr=8-1
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Voted for Henning Mankell.

His Wallander series is fantastic, and the BBC films are very good too. I enjoy that they're set in Sweden, with Swedish-language props and background audio, but that the actors speak English. I think of it like the universal translator from Star Trek: Kenneth Branagh and colleagues are technically speaking Swedish, but my ears hear it in English.

But back to the Wallander books. So far I've read six of the 10 Wallander novels, and have never been let down. My favourite is probably Sidetracked, but I also really enjoyed The Troubled Man. Although it should be noted that The Troubled Man is the last in the series, and one should probably wait and read that one last. I didn't and kind of regret it.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Voted for Henning Mankell.

His Wallander series is fantastic, and the BBC films are very good too. I enjoy that they're set in Sweden, with Swedish-language props and background audio, but that the actors speak English.
The BBC also show the (subtitled) Swedish TV versions, which are excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The BBC also show the (subtitled) Swedish TV versions, which are excellent.
Yes - I think I've said this before, but I'm afraid I found the Branagh version a bit to much about K.B. and acting, than the Wallender character - much prefer the super subtitled Swedish ones.

And, of course, brought a welcome breath of fresh air into the schedules.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The Scandinavian Crime Fiction blog http://scandinaviancrimefiction.wordpress.com/ might be of interest.
Fascinating - must find time to learn more.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #22
owly
Guru

They also have a companion website organized by country and author with reviews. http://barbarafister.com/scandcrime.html
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
They also have a companion website organized by country and author with reviews. http://barbarafister.com/scandcrime.html
Egad! You've murdered my credit card!

So many authors ... so many books ....

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I would have to second Arnaldur Indriðason.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have to admit that, on the whole, I find Nordic crime fiction too "dark and depressing" to be an enjoyable read.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Have to admit that, on the whole, I find Nordic crime fiction too "dark and depressing" to be an enjoyable read.
I agree on this. There are quite a few of the "big names" I very rarely read. They are good and well written, but most of the time I need my reading to be not quite so dark.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I find them deliciously dark ... haunting - especially if the translator is equally fluent in English -
but overall I appreciate the clean, uncluttered prose style of most Scandinavian mysteries - the ecological bleakness/whiteness/cold reflected in the prose and the story lines.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Voted for Mankell since I live not too far from Ystad and sort of recognize all the settings, but to be honest I think the supreme writer is Peter Høegh.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
carpetmojo
Wizard

I thought someone posted a site dedicated to Nordic crime writing - anyone got a link/details please ?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

See post #22 above.