Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #76
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950

Not sure about droid site, but this was fun and very smartly targeted:

and this is simply genius:

kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #77
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Love the second commercial.

The first one could be about a lot of Android phones as well. And until I play with that particular Droid, the jerky UI that is Android's early compromise between power and multiple hardware platform compatibility still makes the iPhone a smoother (and for many users, therefore, seemingly quicker) experience.

Still not certain whether my next phone will be a Droid or a Nexus. I do happen to like keyboards.

Back on track: Can anyone verify whether ICS will have digital USB audio? If not, I suppose I'll jaunt over to XDA.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #78
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post

Not sure about droid site, but this was fun and very smartly targeted:

and this is simply genius:

That 2nd one must be old, most of that is irrelevant. 5MP? Lol. Whatever.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #79
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a thread where the option's being discussed, but no one's tested it so far:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=19675761

Someone mentions the Fiio E7. That's interesting, because I suspect an external DAC with ICS will have to be self-powered, as is the E7, but will also have to be compatible, which is something Fiio's talking about creating on various Head-fi threads.

Monkeyluis:

Both commercials are from 2009. I still happen to think they're funny -- mostly because you don't often see that POV and geek-friendly tone reflected in advertising. You just see commercials that use the words geek and nerd in clueless patronizing ways.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-27-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #80
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
That 2nd one must be old, most of that is irrelevant. 5MP? Lol. Whatever.
Droid doesn't do REAL multi-tasking either, or am I wrong? Perhaps for some music apps, or is that a new feature for 4.0?

That was so great in the old WinMo 6.5. I could run the news on slingplayer in the background and it just kept going while I wrote an e-mail or something. It does work on my Touchpad, though.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #81
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That was so great in the old WinMo 6.5.
I agree -- multitasking is as important to me as a keyboard. The designer's affectation of appearing to innovate by leaving one thing out is horribly overrated. The effect looks pretty until one walks into an almost-empty environment expecting to see everything in its right place.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #82
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Regardless of ones opinion good marketing is best rated at how well it succeeds at rasing interest. The Droid, ads do just that. There is some a strong correlation between Androids quick rise and when those ads started to air.

Commercials like
"Dude you're getting a Dell"
"Hi I'm a mac"
"Droid Does"

At first glance appear horrible and tell nothing about the product, but yet consumer young and old identify with the ads.

You sound like such a fanboy. No logic no facts just biased point of view.
Verizon right now is carrying the best phones, androids, iphone, winmo etc... their Droid brand is reserved for only the best android phones.
Logic and facts don't apply to aesthetics. And you can keep your "fanboy" insults to yourself, particularly given your slavish devotion to everything non-Apple. Consumer products don't make you cool, and being an anti-Apple poseur is even more tedious than being a "fanboy."

And I still refuse to believe that anyone above the age of 13 would like the droid ad - did you actually go to the website? Some products succeed despite their ads.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #83
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Droid doesn't do REAL multi-tasking either, or am I wrong? Perhaps for some music apps, or is that a new feature for 4.0?

That was so great in the old WinMo 6.5. I could run the news on slingplayer in the background and it just kept going while I wrote an e-mail or something. It does work on my Touchpad, though.
What do you mean by "real"... preemptive? Both iOS and Android have true multitasking OSes. iOS has full multitasking for it's iOS apps but limits 3rd party apps to a few certain services.

Android has full multitasking and allows 3rd party apps to have full multitasking capabilities, this requires the App devs however make use of this feature.

I do have fond memories of my 6.5 phone, but I also do recall how difficult it was to use my phone when an app was utilizing the CPU. I always wondered why MS didn't give the phone app the highest priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
..particularly given your slavish devotion to everything non-Apple. Consumer products don't make you cool, and being an anti-Apple poseur ...
How can I be anti-apple if I own several Apple products? Simply because I voice my displeasure with the product does not make me anti anything. It just makes me an unsatisfied customer.

How about instead of you taking the sword in you holy quest you take a step back and listen to why people are discontent.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #84
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
What do you mean by "real"... preemptive? Both iOS and Android have true multitasking OSes. iOS has full multitasking for it's iOS apps but limits 3rd party apps to a few certain services.

Android has full multitasking and allows 3rd party apps to have full multitasking capabilities, this requires the App devs however make use of this feature.

I do have fond memories of my 6.5 phone, but I also do recall how difficult it was to use my phone when an app was utilizing the CPU. I always wondered why MS didn't give the phone app the highest priority.

How can I be anti-apple if I own several Apple products? Simply because I voice my displeasure with the product does not make me anti anything. It just makes me an unsatisfied customer.

How about instead of you taking the sword in you holy quest you take a step back and listen to why people are discontent.

=X=
You usually don't state why you are discontent or seek help for your apple products. You bash quite often. It's not that hard to go back & look at your posts. There is a difference between discontent & hate.

Anyway.....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #85
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
You usually don't state why you are discontent or seek help for your apple products. You bash quite often. It's not that hard to go back & look at your posts. There is a difference between discontent & hate.
Are you sure that you are talking about the right person? I don't see him bashing Apple in this thread. He may have expressed discontent on other threads but I can't find it on this thread.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #86
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Are you sure that you are talking about the right person? I don't see him bashing Apple in this thread. He may have expressed discontent on other threads but I can't find it on this thread.
Yes others.

It doesn't matter though. It is what it is.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #87
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue

Now that this thread has turned into a Android vs iOS fight I thought I should post these. Now guys keep in mind they are funny because they are true.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #88
monkeyluis
Banned

I saw these. They are cute.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Then there's this classic:

Language Warning

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #90
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

If you're not careful, I'm going to start linking to my XtraNormal animations!

Here's why I keep asking about ICS and USB Audio (a post from XDA):

Quote:
The key sentence of the "Galaxy Nexus Help" from Google is:

"If they (USB devices like USB DAC) work without special drivers or adapters on your PC, they will probably work with your phone."

Does ICS have USB audio driver?
Probably yes: "USB class for audio devices."
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/host.html
http://developer.android.com/referen...Constants.html
Another point of interest (though older):

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/0...-with-arduino/

Quote:
The refrain from many advocates of mobile and next-generation platforms has been that users don’t need or want the kinds of capabilities that we get from conventional computer experiences, and that us pundit nerds should stop making comparisons to computers and let average users just check their Facebook accounts. Yet I’m pleased that engineers at places like Apple and Google have added just those features, because I think a wide variety of people – not just nerds like me, indeed – can do great, expressive things with them, and that that’s been a lesson of computing over the past decades.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-30-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Tags
android, nexus