Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #61
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
As I've been interested in when this was going live in my area I tried logging into Overdrive last night and was told my account was 'blocked'. I shot off an email asking what that meant, and this morning got a response that I had to go into a local library branch and confirm my address to get the block removed. First thing this morning the Kindle was 'coming soon' per the library and Overdrive (MD) sites.

When I went into the branch to have them confirm my address the librarian said Kindle was 'live'... and had to show me the page as proof. Drove home as fast as I could and now have two books to read on my Kindle and four others on hold.

Not many books actually available at this point (I'm assuming the numbers are statewide and not just county?)... but I don't care. It's a start!

Last edited by copyrite; 09-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #62
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
The Serra Digital Download Library for San Diego and Imperial counties I reported yesterday as "Kindle coming soon" are now "Kindle now available." All of 749 titles, though none yet that I've actually searched for.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #63
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
When I went into the branch to have them confirm my address
My library makes me do that every year now. It's especially annoying at 2am when the book you've had on your waiting list for six weeks finally becomes available, and your card is blocked.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #64
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
My library makes me do that every year now. It's especially annoying at 2am when the book you've had on your waiting list for six weeks finally becomes available, and your card is blocked.
That would be very frustrating!

From my understanding it's done every three years here. Not sure if it's a MD thing, or this county specifically.

I only activated the Overdrive account a year and a half ago when I was contemplating between a Kindle and Nook and wondered about what titles were available and how readily available they were via Overdrive. I didn't think I'd reached that three year time frame, but if they say so.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #65
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Try this, next time you are near the library. Go in, grab a book, check it out, throw it in the return slot on your way out the door. Couldn't hurt.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #66
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
My county library requires verification every three years. I had checked out a paper book a few weeks ago and all went well. Then, a few days ago, when I tried to get my first Kindle e-book, it said my card was expired! Fortunately, they let me verify my current address and phone number over the telephone, my card was reactivated, and I had no problem obtaining e-books after that. Lucky for me, it was during the day, when the library was open.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #67
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The Providence Public Library (RI) didn't have any books available yesterday, but they do today.

The San Jose, CA library also has Kindle books available. This is great news for my Mom, who lives in San Jose. I bought her a Kindle for Christmas a couple years ago and although she liked it, she has complained more than once that she can't read library books on it and that Amazon is too expensive.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #68
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Sigh....

The bad news: My library system does not lend e-books.

Worse news: They may "never" lend e-books due to lack of funds.

Goodish news: The neighboring county does lend e-books and offers visitor library cards.

Not so goodish news: It will cost me $50.00 for an annual library card to use said counties e-book lending.

Frustrating news: The county plans to offer books for the Kindle, but has no idea when their files will be updated.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #69
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Mine is Lending now
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Goodish news: The neighboring county does lend e-books and offers visitor library cards.
Have you double checked to see if there aren't other libraries that will reciprocate for free? My libraries reciprocate with multiple library systems, and one reciprocates with 18 others.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I'm finding a minor bug in this. I'm reading off the Kindle app on my iPad 2. When I check out a book and I'm directed to the Amazon.com website, I select my iPad 2 as my device. When I open the Kindle app on my iPad, and sync, the book that I just checked out doesn't show up. I have to go to the Amazon.com website and select "send to my iPad." Then the book will show up on my iPad.
I had the same problem with my Xoom (selected it on checkout and it did not show up with sync). The easier work around is to find it in archived items ( after sync), you don't need to go to MYK. Presumably they will fix the problem.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #72
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Have you double checked to see if there aren't other libraries that will reciprocate for free? My libraries reciprocate with multiple library systems, and one reciprocates with 18 others.
They actually had a deal w/ our county, but ended it 4 years ago, due to.... ...you guessed it, lack of funding. The next closest system to offer e-books is 3 hours away and I'd have to go in person, of course. They also have a fee, but if I remember correctly it's less than $50.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #73
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Nyssa, you might want to look into Free Library of Philadelphia. From their application form:

If you live, work, go to school or own property in Philadelphia, you can get a card at no cost. If you have a card from another Pennsylvania Library, you may also qualify. Seniors (65+), veterans, and members of the Armed Services also qualify for a free card.

If you do not qualify for a free card, the cost is $35.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #74
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Nyssa, you might want to look into Free Library of Philadelphia. From their application form:

If you live, work, go to school or own property in Philadelphia, you can get a card at no cost. If you have a card from another Pennsylvania Library, you may also qualify. Seniors (65+), veterans, and members of the Armed Services also qualify for a free card.

If you do not qualify for a free card, the cost is $35.
They offer it to people Out-of State! How incredibly awesome is that! Will definitely check it out.

Thanks DreamWriter!

Last edited by Nyssa; 09-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #75
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My county library allows anyone who is a state resident to get a free library card. I just checked the eligibility rules. I need to take a trip to one of the branches.
In Ohio, any public library that takes state money as part of its budget has to allow any Ohio resident to get a library card. It's a nice benefit, although they all require some kind of regular verification of address. The system I belong to so I can have a CLEVNET card requires me to renew it annually. Luckily, it's just down the street from where my Mom lives, so I just pop in when I've up visiting her.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote