Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Moving Collections

Might I suggest a stickied topic called "Kindle FAQ" or "Kindle Tips and Tricks". It would be a place that we could store commonly asked questions and answers.

Like the following:

I am getting a K3. I have my collections set on my DXG. I think there is a way to move my collections from my DXG to my K3 but I have no idea how.

Please help.

Thank you
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

I am getting a K3. I have my collections set on my DXG. I think there is a way to move my collections from my DXG to my K3 but I have no idea how.

Please help.

Thank you
I may be wrong, but you could try copying the collections.json file from the DXG over to the K3.

Look in F:\system for the file.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
I may be wrong, but you could try copying the collections.json file from the DXG over to the K3.

Look in F:\system for the file.
The prof was only making an example of the type of questions that could well be answered in a FAQ

That's an excellent idea Prof, I've been thinking for some time that we could well do with something of that nature on MRF.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, it is also a real question. My K3 shouldbe arriving in a few days and I am going to need to figure out how to move collections or have the fun of making new collections. (sigh)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
In Archived Items on the Kindle one of the options is "Add Other Device Collections". Haven't tried it since I just got my first Kindle, but you are supposed to be able to download collections from other devices. Don't know if it works on non-Amazon books though.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is it that makes making collections on the Kindle so difficult?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It is not difficult. It is time consuming when you have close to 500 books. Since I have the collections created on my DX it would be nice to simply move them to my K3 and not have to take the time to resort everything.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Actually, it is also a real question. My K3 shouldbe arriving in a few days and I am going to need to figure out how to move collections or have the fun of making new collections. (sigh)
You've redeemed me.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - I've done both. When I backed up my Collections via Kindle Whispernet and then pulled them to the new Kindle, it did okay but for some reason there were about 5 or 6 collections that were missing. I never took the time to figure it out, I just manually added them.

The last time - I decided to see what would happen and I copied the collections file from my K3 to the new Kindle, then used Calibre to dump almost 1200 books on there all at once. Then I plugged the Kindle into a wall socket and didn't touch it for a full 24 hours. It actually worked great. Everything indexed and all the collections were intact.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

hmmmmmmm I'll have to play with it when I get it. The good news is that owning a DXG makes it easier to leave the K3 alone and let it work
Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
In Archived Items on the Kindle one of the options is "Add Other Device Collections". Haven't tried it since I just got my first Kindle, but you are supposed to be able to download collections from other devices. Don't know if it works on non-Amazon books though.
ProfCrash, congrats on your new K3! I used the Archive method to transfer collections, and it was very painless for me. I had less than 200 books and less than 2 dozen collection names. I imagine yours will take quite a bit longer. In the Archived Items, when you select "Add Other Device Collections", it will show you a list of the names of the other Kindles registered to your account. Then you select the one that you want to extract the collection names from. An important point is to download all of your books first before you add the other device collections. That way books that are currently on both your old & new Kindles will be automatically organized into the proper collections.

Also, when I registered the second K3, it recognized that I already had another Kindle registered to the same account. It downloaded a file to the new K3 titled "Transferring Your Kindle Content". This file explained how to redownload your books as well as had a link to make it easy to transfer your subscriptions or your Kindle email adresss to the new one.

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It is not difficult. It is time consuming when you have close to 500 books. Since I have the collections created on my DX it would be nice to simply move them to my K3 and not have to take the time to resort everything.
Why not just move the books you plan to read soon and deal with those and eventually move everything over a bit at a time? You don't actually need 500 books at one time. So moving a bit at a time would work thill they are all moved and sorted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just move the books you plan to read soon and deal with those and eventually move everything over a bit at a time? You don't actually need 500 books at one time. So moving a bit at a time would work thill they are all moved and sorted.
Cause that would make sense and not be painful and what is the fun in that?

I am the impatient sort. I get anew toy and I want it to be ready to go ASAP. (shrugs) It is a weakness of mine.

Thanks Bookworm_Girl: I will go in to my account and move everything over tomorrow. My Kindle shipped and will be here by Wednesday.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

(giggles)

It is here. I am doing the Collections transfer. I think it is going to take a while.

It is so small and light and pretty and cute and tiny.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great! Yes, it is tiny and light, especially if you've been doing most of your reading on the your DX. It shouldn't take long to adjust. Happy reading with your new Kindle!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote