Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Shouldn't the names of devices be catchier?

Ebook readers tend to be named with boring names: PRS-Whatever, Pocketbook +Number, Kindle (= turn on)... I mean, I understand that their primary function is allowing their users to read and not showing off a name, but I feel it is a bit of a shame to let perfectly good names go to waste due to lack of imagination.

Furthermore, I'd daresay ebook readers have better reasons to get catchier names than mobile phones or tablets: dedicated readers are usually bought by people who read much more than the average, thus they'd be able to recognise and appreciate the value of euphony, and they'd able as well to make associations which can be beneficial to the sales potential of these particular products. Plus, they intend to be more durable than other kinds of devices, so it's a good idea to find a good name which creates brand loyalty in its own (aside of course of your own marketing capabilities and budget).

I'll give you an example of what I mean: IMO a good name for a reading device was iLiad. It conveyed an idea of adventure, wisdom and venerability which come of course from Homer's work, but which, in my mind, could "flow" to the device. I couldn't buy it at its time, but I admit the name made it more sympathetic to me than other competitors called PRS-700 or Hanlin 6.1. It was more expensive too, true

I think more creativity could be put in naming ebook readers.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I like the name of my Mini... It's just that, a BeBook Mini, a miniature version of the BeBook...

I think a name should be easy to remember and easy to say. Also, it should say something about that device, especially if you (as in you the company) have more than one.

The first time I heard about the PRS-300, I thought it was a 3" screen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I was thinking that for the Kindle "latest generation" aka 3, not having a proper name at all seemed like a mistake. (I mean no new name to refer to the updated device)

Most hi-tech items have pretty boring names. I wonder why they don't do what they do with cars.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"Honey, have you seen my PRS-300?" Meh. It just sounds stupid. They could at least give it an actual name, not just a code.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
To me, Kindle sounds like something you'd use to start a fire. Come to think of it, that's probably what I'd do with it if I was given a Kindle so maybe it's a good name after all.

Seriously, IMO a name should indicate what the device is. For eBook readers that means (still JMO) it should include Book or Reader or something like that. As far as the complaints about the PRS-300 are concerned, my understanding is that the full name is Sony Reader PRS-300. I don't think the manufacturers should be blamed for misunderstandings that occur when people only use part of the name the manufacturer assigns. (Maybe we should call the Kindle just 1, 2, 3, or DX. Would that be 'catchier'?)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I was thinking that for the Kindle "latest generation" aka 3, not having a proper name at all seemed like a mistake. (I mean no new name to refer to the updated device)
Agreed. I think they do this to keep newcomers ignorant of the fact that they're being updated every couple years, so they don't worry about obsolescence.

That said, I think the name 'Kindle' was really good. The rest of them are kind of lame though. I'm getting pretty tired of device names starting with a lower case letter, followed by an upper case one. It shows zero creativity. I hate to say it, but Apple is the most guilty.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I'm getting pretty tired of device names starting with a lower case letter, followed by an upper case one. It shows zero creativity. I hate to say it, but Apple is the most guilty.
iAgree.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Some companies tend to treat model or inventory numbers as brands, sadly.

But, even though people here tend to use PRS-, Kindle2US, etc..., the companies don't necessarily advertise that way. Nook, Kindle, Sony Reader, etc...are how they are branded and advertised, in many cases.

We tend to use the model numbers to differentiate features here-but it isn't always the case for most users.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Cell phones use a lot of names, there may not be many left.

I like the simpler names. I can't follow all the car numbers (BMW 320i or is than an Infinity... whatever) so I appreciate the simple, Kindle/nook 1, 2, 3 etc.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
iAgree.

Good one!
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Logseman
Orisa

Names of Shakespearian plays would be cool. Maybe the reader is called Romeo and the firmware Juliet?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Names of Shakespearian plays would be cool. Maybe the reader is called Romeo and the firmware Juliet?
In Sony's case, it would be oil and water. To get them to work together, you could call it The Taming of the Shrew?
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
"Honey, have you seen my PRS-300?" Meh. It just sounds stupid. They could at least give it an actual name, not just a code.
Uh, that is the "Pocket." The 600 is the "Touch." The 900 is the "Daily."

Remember, some of the most popular early computers had names like "II", "II+", "IIgs", "64", "Plus 4", etc.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
yes, they should be catchier. Make me think fun and sexy, or tough and macho. Not what they make me think of now, ie, nothing...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
At least Kobo is an anagram of "book".
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote