Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Can I Sideload Converted Books to Kindle?

I have a bunch of ePubs. I know I can convert them to Kindle format with Calibre. After that, would I be able to load them so that they integrate with the books purchased from the Kindle store?

Also, how often has Amazon actually pulled books off of client's Kindles? Was that just an isolated incident?

K3 is looking tasty.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, you can load them on your Kindle without any problem, they won't be backed up on Amazon's servers though.

Amazon deleted that version of 1984 because the seller didn't own the rights in the US, it's not something I'd worry about as long as you aren't buying pirated Harry Potter books or something.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yes, you can load them on your Kindle without any problem, they won't be backed up on Amazon's servers though..
Yep. And I don't believe they work with Whispersync, etiher. There's no problem reading them, though. I have plenty of books that I didn't buy from Amazon on my Kindle and I've never had a problem.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, you'd convert the ePub's (provided they aren't DRM'd) to Mobi format and put them in the Kindle's "Documents" folder. They'll show up listed with all your other books. They won't be syncable with other Kindles/Kindle Apps you might have like books on Amazon's cloud are, but will work the same as far as actually reading a book.

Amazon did this a couple of times IIRC (Harry Potter, some Ayn Rand, and some Orwell that the folks selling didn't have the right to do) as I recall they made it up to folks although I don't recall the details. '1984' was the one that got a lot of attention and they've said they won't do it again. They even go so far at this point that if a publisher makes corrections to a book (for typos and stuff) Amazon will email you and won't update your copy unless you email them back OKing it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks much for the responses.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I was going to start a new thread about this, but this thread seems to be pretty close to what I'm curious about. I have a K3 on order (shipped actually) - and haven't used a Kindle in the past (so pls. bear that in mind).

My questions are:

1) if you sideload non-Amazon ebooks (ebooks in .mobi or .prc Mobipocket format, converted in Calibre) via USB, assuming the metadata in the file is correct, will the books show up on the home screen properly and sort properly (that is, will the Author and Title be sortable, as opposed to what Amazon says about transferred personal documents, which is that they are shown on the home screen only by their filename?)

2) I assume that a PDF that is loaded via USB would be listed on the home screen under it's file name (or is there a filename convention that can be used so that the Kindle can extract the Author and Title from the filename?)

3) For either sideloaded ebooks or PDF's, can you still make notes, highlights, etc. (I realize that only Amazon titles would have the ability to sync last page read, be archived by Amazon, etc.)

- oh, and would a sideloaded (i.e. non-Amazon purchased) ebook still have the progress bar on the home screen?
thanks!

Last edited by jer989; 08-27-2010 at 05:02 PM.
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Yes, books containing metadata will show up and sort like any other.

2. I *think* PDFs show up just like other files, but my K1 doesn't support PDF, so I don't know for sure.

3. Yes.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
rangepig
rangepig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (soon!)
And something I was wondering (I posted another thread about this a few days ago):

How much data is Amazon collecting about the sideloaded non-Amazon titles when my Kindle phones home?

--Jim
rangepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangepig View Post
And something I was wondering (I posted another thread about this a few days ago):

How much data is Amazon collecting about the sideloaded non-Amazon titles when my Kindle phones home?

--Jim
God only knows - but I would think very little of anything since they'd (probably) have to rely on the metadata in each of the files being 'correct' (and you couldn't identify an ebook file by something like it's checksum/hash since most people who are sideloading ebooks onto their Kindle are probably tweaking the metatdata, cover images, formatiing - so I would think the checksum would then change because of that).

Who's to say that I don't, for example, have 100 copies of the same Bobbsey Twins book on my kindle, but have changed the metadata, etc, in Calibre to make it look like they're all different books from various authors (you know, I in order to hide my Bobbsey Twins book addiction - please don't judge me....)

jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

--Jim
You're not the only one that wonders about this. I'm curious if I'll be able to decipher much of the communication sniffing the WiFi once I get it. Of course, if I was sending stuff like that, I'd encrypt it so I'm not very hopeful I'll figure anything new out.

I will say this much: I've had many books on my Kindle that were not purchased through Amazon and are not available anywhere legally without DRM. These books usually had the metadata clearly set so it would be quite trivial to figure out that I had removed DRM from books. I've never heard a peep out of them about it. Now, that doesn't mean they aren't gathering stats on our reading habits and how many or what type of personal files we're keeping on our Kindles. If they are, I've never heard it leaked from Amazon employees or anything. I think they have to tread lightly with this sort of thing if they don't want massively bad PR.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
carld
Wizard

Quote:

--Jim
If I were to guess, and I would, I'd say none.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer989 View Post
2) I assume that a PDF that is loaded via USB would be listed on the home screen under it's file name (or is there a filename convention that can be used so that the Kindle can extract the Author and Title from the filename?)

- oh, and would a sideloaded (i.e. non-Amazon purchased) ebook still have the progress bar on the home screen?
thanks!
PDF's are funny... If they have metadata it will show as that... if it doesnt then it may just show up as booktitle.pdf of if it was word doc converted it may show up as worddocname.doc.
quite annoying

Yes, any side loaded book will have a progress bar both on the home screen and as you read it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
carld
Wizard

One note about personal documents, you could add them to Calibre, set the Metadata and send them to your Kindle if you wanted to be able to sort them like regular ebooks.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer989 View Post
I was going to start a new thread about this, but this thread seems to be pretty close to what I'm curious about. I have a K3 on order (shipped actually) - and haven't used a Kindle in the past (so pls. bear that in mind).

My questions are:

1) if you sideload non-Amazon ebooks (ebooks in .mobi or .prc Mobipocket format, converted in Calibre) via USB, assuming the metadata in the file is correct, will the books show up on the home screen properly and sort properly (that is, will the Author and Title be sortable, as opposed to what Amazon says about transferred personal documents, which is that they are shown on the home screen only by their filename?)

3) For either sideloaded ebooks or PDF's, can you still make notes, highlights, etc. (I realize that only Amazon titles would have the ability to sync last page read, be archived by Amazon, etc.)

thanks!
PDFs can have metadata. Kindle will use it if it is there, otherwise it is just the file name. You can add metadata with calibre or a PDF editor.

You can highlight/annotate any sideloaded content including PDFs (the latter only on K3).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote