Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #361
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicHammer View Post
I have a K3 that is unresponsive.
- - -
The screen is stuck on an advertisement and has been for weeks. I have let the thing charge for a week and no response.
- - -
I've removed the battery and it's at 3.7V which should be perfect.
- - -
Battery is dead, buy it a new one.

The screen is a meta-stable device, even removed from the Kindle and set on a shelf it will display the last thing printed to it.

**NO**
At 3.7V, the battery is very near fully discharged.
Full charge on a K3 battery is 4.2V

NOTE: Terminal voltage on a Li-Ion battery is not an indication of storage capacity.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #362
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsetinn View Post
I have the same flashing issue as CeramicHammer.
- - -
Does anyone want free Kindle keyboard brick for spares or closer inspection. I'm close to Amsterdam.
You have the same problem - a dead battery, replace it.
(read my post directly above this one)

OR:

PM twobob (he is on your side of the pond), donate it to the KUAL development project.
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #363
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Hello,
First, I would like to say that the kindle debrick tools works
It's indeed a very useful tool.
But I have a kindle that I cannot debrick, I've tried several methods.
Here's the story:
My uncle wanted to update duokan on it, the update went wrong, and after reboot, the kindle stuck with the loading screen at ~20% (shown in the screenshot).Then he entered the debug menu, and pressed I, i guess (the option that formats all partitions). Then the kindle didn't boot not even at this point.
This is when he gave it to me

I've copied the firmware from another identical kindle, and with k3flasher, i've reflashed everything: kernel, devid, varfs, isis, partition3, basically all that was backed up with k3flasher.
Now the kindle got back to the original state, it booted at the same point as before.
Meanwhile I broke the cable connecting the display, so I had to order another one, therefore this project was dead for 1/2 year.
Today, I've charged the kindle (the battery was removed not to be drained) and tried to debrick with Kubrick.
The flashing completed successfully, it boots up (screen flashes, loading screen appears, but the progress bar stops again at 20%).

Right now I have no further idea what could have gone wrong.
Basically I've reflashed everything, but still doesn't boot.
I'm thinking to connect to the serial port, to check the kernel debug output. Maybe there i can do something.
But I need a 1.8V USB-Serial converter, which I have to order...

Any other ideas what I could do ?
Isn't there a way to write the kernel log to the SD partition to check it later (I can get to the debug menu, where I can mount the internal SD and it's visible from windows).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130511112305920.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	105736  
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #364
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
- - - - -
The flashing completed successfully, it boots up (screen flashes, loading screen appears, but the progress bar stops again at 20%).
- - - - -
I'm thinking to connect to the serial port, to check the kernel debug output. Maybe there i can do something.
- - - - -
Isn't there a way to write the kernel log to the SD partition to check it later (I can get to the debug menu, where I can mount the internal SD and it's visible from windows).
1) Which is where it typically stops when it checks if the battery's storage capacity is enough to run it.
Buy it a new battery. -- The step your Uncle missed.
(It wasn't "drained" but it certainly had aged before you got it.)

2) That would be a good idea, the kernel's ring buffer will have the battery info in it.
And anything else that might be blocking the boot-up process.
Also, there is a chance it is waiting for input on the serial port to confirm that it should continue the boot process under whatever condition it is finding.

3) In "Debug mode" on a K3 - you are running the Linux kernel with only different init scripting. (K3 does not have "main" and "debug" systems - just different init scripting).
One of the differences - -
It does not check the battery storage capacity nor set-up the battery management hardware the same.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #365
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Which is where it typically stops when it checks if the battery's storage capacity is enough to run it.
Buy it a new battery. -- The step your Uncle missed.
(It wasn't "drained" but it certainly had aged before you got it.)

2) That would be a good idea, the kernel's ring buffer will have the battery info in it.
And anything else that might be blocking the boot-up process.
Also, there is a chance it is waiting for input on the serial port to confirm that it should continue the boot process under whatever condition it is finding.

3) In "Debug mode" on a K3 - you are running the Linux kernel with only different init scripting. (K3 does not have "main" and "debug" systems - just different init scripting).
One of the differences - -
It does not check the battery storage capacity nor set-up the battery management hardware the same.

Thanks for the fast answer!
At first I was also suspecting the battery. However, I've tried the battery in a different Kindle, where it booted without problems, and I was able to charge it with both the broken and the working one.
Note: When I've charged it with the broken one, after it was fully chaged, the yellow light changed to green. I've noticed that when there was no kernel running on it, the light stayed always yellow. As i've seen in some documentation, the kindle is able to charge the battery only if the kernel is running. Also, after a fully charge, the battery has 4.1V. So definitely it's not dying.

I suspect the same thing that you have pointed out: that the boot process somwhere is waiting for some input. However, I cannot find an 1.8V FTDI converted, only 3.3V.
That's why I was thinking that if I could export some debug info to the SDCard, maybe with some custom kernel, i could find out what's wrong.

The debug menu shows up, I can access the internal SD card, that means that the kernel did not panic, right ?

So it must be something with the startup scripts.

What is exactly rewritten when writing "partition3" and kernel ?
Aren't also the init scripts rewritten ?

Otherwise I cannot explain why it gets stuck also after flashing everything from a working kindle and later flashing with the live cd...
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #366
knc1
Going Viral

Post with links to tech docs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566
Now you know the part number.

Do a web search for the part number:
TTL - 232RG - VREG1V8 - WE

That will give you a list of distributors.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #367
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm

TTL - 232RG - VREG1V8 - WE

I'm currently playing with one. Trying to come up with something clever for the PW problem. Nice cable.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #368
trex_daemon
Enthusiast

Thanks for the infos
I will search for this cable at my local dealers, I hope i will find one, as it costs too much to order from FTDI directly.

Once I have it I will report back.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #369
kkralikk
kkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, my Kindle 3 doesn't work for a while. It got stuck in menu and nothing works (like cursor or something). Sometimes, after long recharging Kindle restarts then 10 seconds works and then stops working again. So I thought that its because of battery. But it is still same even with new battery.
So I tried to debrick kindle, but it is impossible, all procces is done really fast (it should be done in one hour, in my Kindle its ready immediately). I don't have any other ideas what can cause this kind of stuck. Right now, there is boy under the tree on my Kindle,but it isn't restarting or something. And, when I put Kindle in charger, the LED diod is orange but after hour or so it goes black and green never...
Thank you for advices I don't know what to do!
Maybe I should mention, when I plugged Kindle in PC it shows as SE Blank Ringo and I read about that some not very satisfying threads.

Last edited by kkralikk; 05-14-2013 at 07:21 AM.
kkralikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #370
andysuth
andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle3
Hi,

My kindle doesn't turn on, the screen "works" when attached to my wife's kindle.

Kindle battery has been changed, has been plugged into wall socket for 30+ hours, but the kindle will not show a green light when slider is turned on. Whilst plugged into the wall or PC the orange light turns on, and if I slide and hold the slider for 15 seconds the orange light will turn off.

I've tried the Kubrick LiveCD, it acknowledges the Kindle's presence, tells me its flashing, tells me it's flashing the main memory (1-3 hours) and then jumps from 0% to complete in about 20 seconds.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

-Andy.
andysuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #371
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Hi All and thanks for any help
My KK3G has a similar problem to andysuth's above.
Tried a new battery but orange light goes off after 'charging' a while with no green light and won't turn on. It just stopped working for no good reason - i.e. not doing anything in particular. It has JB, LP and has a few hacks.
Using correct ISO image to boot from. Kubrick says after quite a while that it finds my device, then takes ages to apparently flash the kernel and then when it gets to flashing the partitions it says complete after a minute or so rather than hours. But the Kindle won't reboot. In fact nothing changes on the KK screen at all during the whole process.
Will manual debricking likely help or is it knackered?
I don't think it's the screen as when it first happened there was a change of screen after I mucked about with it - now stuck in the boy under tree screensaver.. Nothing unplugged I can see when opened....
Cheers.
PS Tried ATK and manual K3.4 debrick stuff too - stuck with ATK error message saying unable to find device on USB. Tried various ports, 2 Kindle cables and a few times on each. Did the 30 sec on button/vol- button thing properly. USB works otherwise for other devices and prev for Kindles. Stumped.

Last edited by alban; 05-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #372
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "hacks" you mention will have ZERO effect on the flashing process. None.

The k3 root-filesystem takes 3 HOURS to flash. 3 HOURS. That is the CORRECT amount of time.

what do you mean by "manual K3.4 debrick stuff"?
I would try k3flasher manually for more "debug output".

The fact is that the k3's are getting a reputation for "Going sideways" with no obvious cause. Here's hoping this isn't one of those times.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #373
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Thanks twobob.
Yep the K3 root-filesystem should take hours with Kubrick but it says it's done after a minute! But it's not as the Kindle won't reboot. Also takes an age to detect it before this. Nothing on the KK screen at any point.
After trying Kubrick I tried doing the manual noob debrick a la the Kindle wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk
D/Led the right files (i.e. for K 3.4) and followed right procedures but got a 'device not found on usb' error message from ATK despite trying different ports/cables and knowing they work with other devices (also Windows itself sees something it calls a 'Ringo something or other'! when I connect the KK to usb - but can't install it).
New battery also won't charge properly - orange light just goes off after variable period.
I'll look up the K3flasher prog.
PS K3Flasher seems to be only for Linux - I have XP....

Last edited by alban; 05-19-2013 at 09:03 AM.
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #374
twobob

Ah right. Yeah Linux only. Hmm... Your options appear to be at an end.
Linux boot disk? Can't hurt.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #375
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alban View Post
Thanks twobob.
Yep the K3 root-filesystem should take hours with Kubrick but it says it's done after a minute! But it's not as the Kindle won't reboot. Also takes an age to detect it before this. Nothing on the KK screen at any point.
After trying Kubrick I tried doing the manual noob debrick a la the Kindle wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk
D/Led the right files (i.e. for K 3.4) and followed right procedures but got a 'device not found on usb' error message from ATK despite trying different ports/cables and knowing they work with other devices (also Windows itself sees something it calls a 'Ringo something or other'! when I connect the KK to usb - but can't install it).
New battery also won't charge properly - orange light just goes off after variable period.
I'll look up the K3flasher prog.
PS K3Flasher seems to be only for Linux - I have XP....
Duh...
You also have Kubrick - which is a memory resident version of Linux.
It **can** be used from the command line.
It **probably does have** K3flasher already included.