Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
hefolsom
hefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Kobo Mini: can't download epub from Instapaper

Hi there. Hoping someone else has run across this and knows of a solution:

I would like to download Instapaper articles as an epub. So far I have not managed to do this.

I have a Kobo Mini. Using the browser, I can download epub files from Dropbox with no problems.

But trying to download an epub file directly from Instapaper is a total fail - I click the link and the browser does exactly nothing. (Specifically, I'm visiting http://www.instapaper.com/u, logging in, and then on the right hand side there's a downloads area with an "epub" link).

I know the file format is OK, because if I first move the file into Dropbox it then works fine. It's only downloading directly from Instapaper that doesn't seem to work.

Any leads? All help appreciated! My alternative is to go back to a Sony. Sigh. (Caveat: for various reasons, using Calibre is not a fix for me, so no point suggesting that).
hefolsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
My best guess would be that the instapaper website is not advertising the file as epub using a MIME type. It may be advertising it as a binary blob of some kind. Whereas Dropbox is probably just setting the mime type using the file extension (.epub).

You may be out of luck here. Sorry.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
hefolsom
hefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheesehefolsom can extract oil from cheese

Well... if it's just not going to work, I'd rather know that. (Kind of sad given that the Sony can handle it, though.)

At any rate, thanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
You could have Calibre's Instapaper plugin create the epub, and then set up a Calibre webshare, and then download from Calibre over the net.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I've used the epub link from Instapaper and it is correctly identified as an epub. In my case, this leads to calibre being started and the epub added to my library. Works very well.

I haven't tried loading the epub directly onto the Kobo as I prefer to have calibre manage my books.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
As an alternative, can you save it as an html file? I saved a few files as an html-only file last night (where everything is stored in one file - I haven't tried the other format where the page also saves images in a separate folder) and am now reading them on my Glo. The files will convert easily to an epub file through Calibre, but the Glo will recognize the html file. Since they use the same firmware (minus the lighting bit) I imagine the Mini would also read them.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
hefolsom

Oh interesting - I hadn't thought of HTML. Suzanna, I'd be curious how you're doing that - via the Kobo browser or on a computer first?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I did it on my computer and sideloaded the books to the Kobo (these were 3 full-length books for Harlequin's "So You Think You Can Write" contest.) When reading, the Kobo usually remembered my page. A couple of times, though, it did forget and shoot me back to the beginning of the file. Not a problem if the file is small, but if it's large it might be worth your while to convert the html file to an epub (it will convert easily.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefolsom View Post
I have a Kobo Mini. Using the browser, I can download epub files from Dropbox with no problems.
sorry hefolsom, do you use the mobile version of dropbox? So far I only managed to download with the desktop version of dropbox, but the mobile one is more legible, yet I cannot make it work on my mini. Grateful for any tips if you have them :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Hi there. Hoping someone else has run across this and knows of a solution:

I would like to download Instapaper articles as an epub. So far I have not managed to do this.

But trying to download an epub file directly from Instapaper is a total fail - I click the link and the browser does exactly nothing. (Specifically, I'm visiting http://www.instapaper.com/u, logging in, and then on the right hand side there's a downloads area with an "epub" link).

I know the file format is OK, because if I first move the file into Dropbox it then works fine. It's only downloading directly from Instapaper that doesn't seem to work.

Any leads? All help appreciated! My alternative is to go back to a Sony. Sigh. (Caveat: for various reasons, using Calibre is not a fix for me, so no point suggesting that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
My best guess would be that the instapaper website is not advertising the file as epub using a MIME type. It may be advertising it as a binary blob of some kind. Whereas Dropbox is probably just setting the mime type using the file extension (.epub).

You may be out of luck here. Sorry.
I too would like to be able to download the epub file from instapaper directly with the browswer of my Kobo. I've contacted instapaper's creator so lets hope for a positive response!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
hefolsom

Sorry Paola - I'm using the desktop version of Dropbox too. No luck with the mobile version for me either.

Fingers crossed that Instapaper gets an update to be able to download directly! That would be excellent.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Sorry Paola - I'm using the desktop version of Dropbox too. No luck with the mobile version for me either.

Fingers crossed that Instapaper gets an update to be able to download directly! That would be excellent.
thank you hefelsom!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote