Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
HarryT
Not all readers have a Back feature.
My PEz (HanlinV5) does not . The K4 does (but it does not do EPUB )
That's a deficiency in the reading device. Should a book author have to account for such shortcomings in a few readers?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
after some googling, I find the the "back" function on Sony reader. It is called "history". it's there on the menus but is not very intuitive.

I suggest that book authors wants thier books to read/flow properly on most of the epun readers out there, enough to cover 80 - 90% of market share.

not sure where to find market share analysis for epub readers though- I'd guess that nook, kobo, & sony make up a large percentage.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a deficiency in the reading device. Should a book author have to account for such shortcomings in a few readers?
Yes, if there are enough of those devices in use.

Just look at what publishers do to accommodate Apple's device limitations
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
Talking about back endnote I have to make comment. I was searching through this forum and could not find proper answer. I am using the following code to link my endnotes
Code:
 some text<a id="return01"></a><a href="../Text/Notes.xhtml#footnote1"><sup>1</sup></a>
and this one to return to my text
Code:
<a id="footnote1"></a><a href="..Text/Section0013.xhtml#return01"><sup>1</sup></a> explanation of some text
Somehow after converting it with Calibre to MOBI for my Kindle back link doesn't react anymore. I know there is back button but I LIKE having link option. Anyway this code worked properly with one book while with another book it doesn't. And I have no idea why. I went through it again and again and I am getting nervous :-). I must add that I am grouping chapters in one xhtml file presented as VOL 1, while another xhtml file is VOL 2 group of chapters as well. I add to css styles to break page before chapters headings. I know it does work when every chapter is presented with one single xhtml file, but I managed to make this working with grouped chapters as well, unfortunately only once Can anyone help me with this?!
Btw have you noticed how sometimes when changing sections TOC can't be generated properly anymore, but you have to manually change toc file? I am sorry if I am posting in wrong thread but this one seemed to be the closest to my problem :-)

Last edited by The CB; 03-01-2012 at 08:11 AM.
The CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CB View Post
href="..Text/Section0013
There's a / missing after the 2 .
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also... if your ebook has a single (or relatively few) (x)html files, make sure that your anchor IDs are unique for that (each) file.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
The CB
Enthusiast
The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The CB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
There's a / missing after the 2 .
I am a blind person !!!! Interesting that all worked well in epub and mobi if epub wasn't too complicated. Shame on me. Thank you :-)

Last edited by The CB; 03-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
The CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
The footnote and backlink as DiapDealer shows them will work just fine in a Kindle ebook.

I am pleased to see KDP issues discussed here. Given that Amazon, for me, sells 80 percent of digital editions, I compose first for the Kindle platform and only secondarily in epub. I upload html to the KDP, ignoring Kindlegen, Mobipocket Creator, NCX files, and all that stuff. I then open the html in Sigil and tweak it a bit for Barnes & Noble.

Yes, I will someday go back and figure out how to add an NCX file to my ebooks, but at the present time I am too busy and too happy with the results to slow down my production of new and backlist books.

Someday I may even acquire a Mac and publish to the Apple iBookstore, but that is at present the least of my concerns.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I am pleased to see KDP issues discussed here. Given that Amazon, for me, sells 80 percent of digital editions, I compose first for the Kindle platform and only secondarily in epub. I upload html to the KDP, ignoring Kindlegen, Mobipocket Creator, NCX files, and all that stuff.
I'm curious. How do you specify the cover, table of contents, opening location, etc, without an OPF file?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. How do you specify the cover, table of contents, opening location, etc, without an OPF file?
Harry:

If he's using html-->KG, obtaining solely a K7 book, rather than a K8, he's probably using name tags, as in a name= and using the naming defaults, TOC, start and cover. That will work for a K7 book. Does NOT work nowadays for a K8 book and ye olden "a name = cover" shtick no longer works in Word for a book being uploaded that-a-way (and mayn't in an html book--we don't Gen from html, we Gen from ePUBs, with the metadata semantics, so I don't actually know this part). He might be using id= instead, but that's probably how he's doing it, and using the (relatively new) option to upload the cover separately and embed it, as the "name = cover" doodah doesn't really work any longer.

Amazon, in fact, will advise (if asked), that Kindlegen will only accept opf, htm, html, epub and xhtml and NOT prc or mobi for upconversion to K8. Only one of those formats will result in a MasterMobi file which is the K8+k7 in a single AZW file. Therefore, anyone uploading Word files (or mobipocket) can't match the upconversion of html, etc., to the Fire-compatible "mobi" files (please, before anyone has a tantrum, for lack of a better word, okay?).

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Amazon, in fact, will advise (if asked), that Kindlegen will only accept opf, htm, html, epub and xhtml and NOT prc or mobi for upconversion to K8. Only one of those formats will result in a MasterMobi file which is the K8+k7 in a single AZW file.
I'm confused. All of those formats (not prc or mobi, of course) result in a master Mobi/KF8 file when I build them using Kindlegen. I've dumped the headers to verify. I'm probably misunderstanding you.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Harry:
He might be using id= instead, but that's probably how he's doing it, and using the (relatively new) option to upload the cover separately and embed it, as the "name = cover" doodah doesn't really work any longer.

Hitch
Right as always, King Friday!

<div id="toc" />
<div id="start" />

and "included cover."

Works fine on my Fire, but then I may have a weakness for non-standard solutions. I hold my Fire upside-down, for example. (I upload the html; I don't use Kindlegen.)

Last edited by Oldpilot; 03-09-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: kindlegen
Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm confused. All of those formats (not prc or mobi, of course) result in a master Mobi/KF8 file when I build them using Kindlegen. I've dumped the headers to verify. I'm probably misunderstanding you.
Sorry, when I wrote it...it sounded different in my fingertips than when I re-read it now. Durn. Yes, ALL of those formats: opf, htm, html, epub and xhtml will make a MasterMobi. If you pre-convert a book, however, into, say, prc (ala MobiPocket), it will NOT make a MasterMobi, nor will a converted mobi when uploaded via KDP. That's what I was attempting to say. It was supposed to sound like "only one of THOSE formats will...," not "only ONE of those formats will..." as if it was a trick question. Crappity.

I should add: broke my foot. Taking painkillers that would knock out a horse. Should pay closer attention to what I type.

@OldPilot: "King Friday?" Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! However, glad I guessed right on the book. Amazon's making it harder--not deliberately--for DIY'ers to get good books, but Div id's work for the Guide Items if you upload HTML.

Hitch
(Writing from somewhere under the table, having drunk of the Toe Potion marked, "Makes Small.")
Old 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
Oldpilot
Groupie

You never watched Misterroger's Neighborhood?

King Friday was a puppet, but he was always right.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Oldpilot:

Well...you may be an "Oldpilot," but clearly I'm older than Dirt. That program was something watched by my (much-younger) sibs, who were more than a decade younger than I, as I recall it. No..I never watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. But, thanks for your charming accolade. I think (not sure about the puppet part...)

;-)
Hitch