Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Left-handed or Right-handed? Which are you?
Right handed 81 68.07%
Left handed 30 25.21%
Ambidextrous 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #106
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
as are horses and dogs. getting a horse to change lead when they don't want to can be quite an.... experience
Which is why I am full of awe when I watch a dressage test with the horse coming down the ring doing a flying change at each step. Poetry in motion!

Cats also seem to have a dominant "hand" but I haven't ever kept any stats on mine.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #107
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Which is why I am full of awe when I watch a dressage test with the horse coming down the ring doing a flying change at each step. Poetry in motion!

Cats also seem to have a dominant "hand" but I haven't ever kept any stats on mine.
No question about it; Felicity is right-pawed. She NEVER extends her left when quietly reaching for something or gently pawing at my cheek to get my attention. Only her right. But when in combat with a moving feather or string, she will use which ever paw is closer.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #108
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post

That's what I had in mind having done it many times, wasn't sure how many would get it.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #109
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And high political office, it seems. If you include the ambidextrous Reagan, whom rumor has it was born a leftie but forced by his parents and teachers to learn to use his right, then five of our last seven presidents were lefties, including our current president.
This is quite important for politicians to be able to handle the truth creatively enough
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #110
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I golf either right-handed or left-handed...with equally disastrous results.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #111
MJ12
MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.MJ12 has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: none
I'm right handed and right eye dominate, majorly right footed when kicking things, but goofy (left) footed when snow/skate boarding or surfing. *shrug*

Having taught archery at a YMCA camp for multiple years, I saw more people than I expected that are right handed, but left eye dominate (or vice versa). (Most of them not even knowing there was such a thing as eye dominance.) Unfortunately it's very hard to get them to aim properly if they chose to shoot with their dominant hand and weak eye and harder for most to shoot with their dominant eye and draw/hold the bow with their weak hand (lefties usually did better with this than righties though).

And yes, we did have left handed bows in various sizes, plus a couple child sized bows that were able to be shot right or left handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
As is Chewbacca the Wookie.
Luke Skywalker's also left handed (though there's one cut during the dining scene with Owen and Beru that switches which hand he's holding something in) (also Wookiee has 2 e's!)
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #112
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
I'm right handed and right eye dominate, majorly right footed when kicking things, but goofy (left) footed when snow/skate boarding or surfing. *shrug*
I never thought of that one! We need to add "Goofy Footed" to the list of negative left-handed terms in common usage.

Quote:
also Wookiee has 2 e's!
I was using the American English transliteration rather than the N.S.C. (Native Speech Character) transliteration.

Stitchawl
Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #113
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Lefty all the way...Hence my name on the site..though a few things I do right-handed.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #114
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Although right handed I always used to eat the wrong way round (fork in right hand, knife in left). Asking for a left-handed fish knife in a restaurant would produce looks of incomprehension from waiters.

This anomaly apart I have two (computer) mice on my desk - R.H. one for desktop, L.H. one for laptop, no problem in using them simultaneously but revert to R.H. one on laptop when travelling.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #115
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Ooops. I forgot that fish knifes even exist!

Spoiler:
I hate 'em.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #116
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Even serrated knives are made for right handed people... We lefties have learned to unconciously tip them a bit to get the serrations to have more effect.

I'm an not so surprised at the fact that we are now showing almost 3x the world average for percentage of lefties. We must be a very creative bunch!

Stitchawl
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #117
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I never thought of that one! We need to add "Goofy Footed" to the list of negative left-handed terms in common usage.

Stitchawl
Goofy-footed is not that seldom, AFAIK nearly 30-40% (or so my snowboard teacher told me once), maybe the amount of left-handness would come out to similar numbers if it was not supressed.
Is there religious rejection of lefties in other cultures other than christian? Here only "rightness" is considered good, remember the "sinistre" some posts ago
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #118
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In feudal Japan, it was forbidden by law to be left-handed, at least when you were samurai. Wikipedia says that many people are still forced to convert to right-handedness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_ag...-handed_people

Strangely enough, being left-handed would have been an advantage for writing Japanese as far as I can see, because you start at the right side of the page.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #119
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12 View Post
Hmmm, I'd think that wouldn't matter for snow/skate boards, but don't waves break from left to right (in the northern hemisphere)? How about you Aussies, do waves break opposite there?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #120
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Hmmm, I'd think that wouldn't matter for snow/skate boards, but don't waves break from left to right (in the northern hemisphere)? How about you Aussies, do waves break opposite there?
Hmmm, that's the same myth like bathtub swirls going the other way round in the south, the masses involved are just to insignificant to be truly affected.
Bathtubs are more influenced by the way you scrubb them (clockwise or counter), the same is true for waves. A handful of rocks has more influence than all planetary rotation.

BTW Snow/Skate-Boards are 100% symmetric (ok, some very customized high performance world-champion boards are not)

The fact about japanese tradition is astounding, How come a country of nearly no contact to europe evolves the same prejudice