I was wondering if anyone has tried charging a Sony PRS-650 with one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DREAMGEAR-IS.../dp/B005EEP926

thank you

Last edited by imageraw; 02-24-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Solved
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Haven't tried but read the reviews... from those comments I wouldn't let it anywhere near anything of mine...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
are they negative reviews? On the Amazon UK site no one has reviewed it yet...good to know, thanks elcreative. I won't take the risk. Any alternative? Ideally it should be a "quad", it should be possible to charge four devices at the same time.

the PRS-650 seems to be temperamental when it comes to chargers. Some work and some don't....I wonder if it's got to do with the cable?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
are they negative reviews? On the Amazon UK site no one has reviewed it yet...good to know, thanks elcreative. I won't take the risk. Any alternative? Ideally it should be a "quad", it should be possible to charge four devices at the same time.

the PRS-650 seems to be temperamental when it comes to chargers. Some work and some don't....I wonder if it's got to do with the cable?
There were three on the UK site when I looked... shame really as a quad could be useful... and yes, cable is relevant... I've some that work and some that don't - depends on whether data lines shorted out internally or not...
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
imageraw
Connoisseur

sorry I don't know anything about data lines shortened - I'm wondering if you know about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlaySta...pr_product_top

it's got two usb ports as far as I can see, though you probably need to buy a mains lead. Would its data lines shortened to fit the PRS 650? I live in the middle of nowhere and I won't be in town before April. Amazon sellers tend to get back to me with a "this device hasn't been tested" standard answer...
Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Those types of things don't work to charge the Sony readers. I have a similar device at home & they don't work to charge the Sonys via USB.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard

Don't know about this product as don't have it but the phrase is "data lines shorted" and refers to the way they are wired... I have used an assortment of USB PSUs and when one doesn't seem to work then using a different cable will usually get it to work fine...
Sorry can't be more specific but haven't bought any PSUs for a couple of years as the ones I have are all working (and mostly generic) and probably from businesses that no longer exist...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
imageraw
Connoisseur

sorry I'm being a bore, but what about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iGo-Charge-A.../dp/B004DNVNQK ?

say it doesn't have its "data lines shorted": is it very complicated to short them? can anyone who's - for instance - able to repair similar devices easily do it?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard

iGo chargers are good, not inexpensive but they also include a LiOn battery so you can recharge from it anywhere... Just ask for the right tip(s) for what you want to charge - it takes different ones and they are wired correctly for target device...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

It's got tot do with the charger. If it's an Apple charger, it won't work as the pins are non-standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
sorry I'm being a bore, but what about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iGo-Charge-A.../dp/B004DNVNQK ?

say it doesn't have its "data lines shorted": is it very complicated to short them? can anyone who's - for instance - able to repair similar devices easily do it?
I have an iGO wall charger that I use sometimes to charge my 650. They are very reliable, very good quality and won't damage your 650. Just get the microUSB tip for it and you'll be good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
imageraw
Connoisseur

sounds great! thank you all so much for your advice! i'll try an iGo and report back if there's any issue. Regards