Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
73kmax
73kmax began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question drag and drop problem

When I first started using Calibre it was easy to drag and drop titles from a cd of book titles that I had purchased into the Calibre page. Now I cannot. Why should this be? Is it a problem with the new version of Calibre? https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
73kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73kmax View Post
When I first started using Calibre it was easy to drag and drop titles from a cd of book titles that I had purchased into the Calibre page. Now I cannot. Why should this be? Is it a problem with the new version of Calibre? https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
First off:

Second: Copying CD files, by default are READ ONLY.
That does not get changed automatically.
Maybe the developers fixed the bug that permitted Read only files to be placed in the Library (only to cause problems later )

Copy the selected files to a Temp folder, remove (change) the Read only Property. Now you should be good
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had a similar problem and found out that my firewall somehow interfered with Calibre.
If you have a firewall, disable it temporarily to find out if it's causing problems on your system, too.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
73kmax

Many thanks for your replies. I don't think it is the Firewall because it always asks for permission when I open Calibre. It will be the Read-Only problem - now caused by the latest upgrade and bug "fix". Funnily enough I can transfer them by drag & drop onto the Calibre Application file in the Windows Program list, but that is also a 2-step process, and annoying. I will try the Temp file process and see if that is the answer. Thank you both again for your help.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
73kmax

I tried changing the CD book files from Read-Only, but had the same problem - they would not drag & drop straight into the Calibre page as they used to. I can drag them to the Calibre icon but then have to go through the "permission" page of Windows so it is still a 2-3 step process, whereas before it was a single step. Very annoying! Especially as this has only started happening recently.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
No answer to this?
I've had this problem many times (not from a CD, that is ridiculous as calibre copies the file to the Calibre library so it doesn't need write access to the file) but usually a restart of the app or opening the folder in a new window fix it, but not this time, some information on why would be helpful
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the only known reason for drag and drop to fail is permissions issues, typically caused by running calibre as administrator. You will get more information if you run calibre in debug mode (right click th epreferences button)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drag & drop, file moving, importing into calibre