Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #31
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Others have been addressing the silly assumption that the brain hasn't been updated in 40,000 years. But there is the other silly assumption in the article-- that we will be able to "upgrade the software and hardware" of the brain in a few decades. But the functioning of the mind is in both the chemical environment of the brain and the fine details of it's physical structure-- there is no "software", it is all "hardware"-- and I think making structural modifications to it will prove to be very, very difficult, especially a mere "few decades" from now.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #32
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I think the brain would have gotten a bigger shock, when the TV came in... Until then all our stimuli was auditory and then all of a sudden it became visually...

At least reading, whether on paper or screen, is still the same... we read the words!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that works best for me would work best for anyone else. Apologies if it came off that way.
I used a smiley there for a reason

It's why TTS isn't attractive to me, and I have several partially-blind friends who have returned Kindles after they've found many of the books they wanted had TTS disabled.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #34
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's why TTS isn't attractive to me, and I have several partially-blind friends who have returned Kindles after they've found many of the books they wanted had TTS disabled.
That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. Still, if I were using it for proofreading my own writing, there wouldn't be any kind of DRM or disabled features on the files so this wouldn't be an issue.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #35
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
You'd think someone they let teach people at university would be analytical enough to not generalize based on his own feelings/views.

Quote:
Only when I print out my writing is my brain able to identify problems that my brain otherwise does not see.
So that's why all of our brains function like yours, right?

sheesh!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why stop there? Why not switch from a visual medium to an audio one?

By far the most effective way I've found to proofread my writing is to activate some kind text-to-speech system on my computer and have it read what I've written back to me.
Great idea! I often read aloud things I've written and that's another good way to catch mistakes.

Of course, nothing beats another pair of eyes altogether. The best proof-reader is usually anyone but the author!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #37
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
thread closed

Last edited by danbloom; 11-13-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: darren garrison
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
I used a smiley there for a reason

Be sure that they send a Thankyou to the Author's Guild.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
WT Share, I love your early childhood photo. How old were you in that shot? I have one somewhere in my files about age 10. Black and white of course. I love it!
I must have been around six or seven. My father, whose hobby at the time was photography, took the shot.

I was using the occasion to show off my new "Fanner Fifty" with the swivel holster!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #40
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The Internet and mobile devices has already done this, ebooks just compliment the mobility of data.

When we have little goggles that work ANYWHERE in the world and can get any kind of information from a book to a newspaper to a map and also display virtual data overlaid on top of reality then we will truly change as humans. I imagine being able to look at a table and tapping a button to find what style of table it is, the history of those tables, the materials the table is made from etc. Yes I read a lot of sci-fi hehe
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote