Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #106
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcdonald View Post
Just a heads up be careful with the upgrade. I did something wrong with mine though I followed the instructions to the T and my unit has stalled out permanently from it. As well the IT support has been less than stellar basically talking to me like I'm an idiot and not actually reading the email I sent in but rather giving me a trite try and restart it reply. I'm not really happy about that but I love my Kobo so the moral of the story is be careful during the upgrade or you may end up like me ripping your hair out and trying to deal with customer service to get your Kobo fixed.
Hmm.. can you post or PM me your ticket # please? I'd like to take a look.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #107
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
And if you are a Borders Rewards Club member, you have 60 days to return the unit for any swap that may be necessary.
Thank you, I was not aware of that. I, however, really like this device (it's my first).

The upgrade went just well and I actually don't mind the new sleep/power-off feature. I do wish that the Kobo desktop app had been significantly updated as well but I know that was not the aim of the new firmware. That piece of software is absolutely horrific.

Through some careful research here on MR I found the oh-so-useful Calibre.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #108
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
So i'm curious as to how the new font-size stuff works - are there set font sizes (aka 10, 12, 14, pt font and so on? or does it scale the range of sizes based on the epub file?

Using calibre, I kept changing the base-font-size until I was happy with the size on the screen, and updated all of my files to that font size, justification, etc - problem is, that the size I'm using is smaller than the "smallest" font size I'm seeing in the display window (though larger than what I started with for my first ePub file!) So now I'm wondering if I want to bother upgrading, even at the cost of some of these other upgrades - personally, the "smallest" font size might be doable, but the rest are horrendous, especially given the "cost" of flipping pages!

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated!
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #109
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
So i'm curious as to how the new font-size stuff works - are there set font sizes (aka 10, 12, 14, pt font and so on? or does it scale the range of sizes based on the epub file?
I just checked out one of the several epubs I loaded onto my device using Calibre a couple days ago. The font size for "small", which is what I normally read with, is noticeably smaller in the epub file...it will be a pain to determine whether I'll read with that size or the next one up.

I'm not sure if it matters but I'll let you know that this file was originally a PDF.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #110
kitsullivan
kitsullivan began at the beginning.

I had no problems until this morning when all of a sudden I couldn't open anything with Adobe - now it says "content locked" and tells me to re-authorize. Huh? I don't know how to re-authorize. When I plug in my kobo, it shows up on the Adobe digital editions. How do you authorize the kobo, and why do I have to do it all over again? Any help would be gratefully received since kobo isn't answering me.....many thanks.
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #111
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Yes you do have to re-authorise Adobe Digital Editions after doing the firmware upgrade.

I can't remember how I did this, I think I just plugged in my Kobo and ran ADE and it told me straight away that I needed to reauthorise and I just clicked ok and it did it.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #112
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Confused about how to upgrade my kobo:

Are there different ways to upgrade my kobo? I bought it in Australia and looking at the kobo blog I can upgrade my ereader by downloading borders desktop application or by signing up for the early access program? I signed up for the early access program about 10 days ago and got a confirmation email but ? no link. I am not even sure if I need the link and also to download the desktop application as well... you can see I am a touched confused... lol.

Could someone please tell me how I can upgrade my kobo ereader? Any help would be appreciated as I am new to this! And sadly I have downloaded 4 books from a public library and none will resize... getting a bit desperate and not sure if borders in Australia are going to come to the party anytime soon as I went into the Perth shop the other day and they didn't even know of any problems so far re font issues or upgrades etc.

ps. Love my Kobo!
karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #113
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Am asking the same question re: upgrade over here in Melbourne.
I think the staff in Borders though would conveniently not be aware of the font issues and the fact that the 12million books are not available on the borders desktop app like they say, and that they're public domain titles - they just want to sell the machine.

I also love my kobo!!
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #114
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
sorry, double post

Last edited by BBel; 07-14-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: sorry, double post
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #115
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I'm not in the same boat, but I see that someone, with will and
having doing syncing himself, make a decent tutorial and post
it as "sticky".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #116
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A stickied tutorial is a great idea.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote