Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #451
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is that what most people do, log out?
I don't think so. But when my Kobo was stuck in downloading, the best way (for me) to end the update wasd by logging out and then logging in. I would be too scared to sideload the firmware

Regarding the email that's a different matter. Maybe there is a box you can uncheck to not receive news from Kobo. Since Kobo doesn't know what your sideloaded ebooks are, the recommendations should have been related to what you bought at Kobo. So maybe without the sync, you would have received this kind of email later.
It's all an unknown territory for me, so take that into consideration. I have registered to the newsletter, but I see nothing. We don't have discount codes either, so I guess Kobo doesn't see the need to send emails at all.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #452
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Still on the Touch
Thanks PeterT! I will assume it is still on the Mini...but am still holding off updating, since I'm going to lose a line of screen real-estate if I do - haven't updated since before 2.5.1 (?) so I still have the entire screen.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #453
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Thanks PeterT! I will assume it is still on the Mini...but am still holding off updating, since I'm going to lose a line of screen real-estate if I do - haven't updated since before 2.5.1 (?) so I still have the entire screen.
I updated to 2.61 and lost the line.
On another note the screen seems more balanced, and easier to read and my thumb doesn't seem to be stressed out from too much page turning and I often read a book a day.

I read for 2-3 days on my mini as I was trying some different things with my Aura shelves, and it wasn't actually pleasant to go back to the large amount of text displayed per screen on the Aura. I got used to it again, but for a while I was increasing my font sizes and margins, trying to get that 2.6.1 mini feel.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #454
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
Decided that whilst 2.6.1 is sleek and seems to perform well I don't like the way the light adjustment works (extra click and in the middle of the screen) Also don't like losing the black bar and the wasted header space so have rolled back to 2.5.1. I actually think that 2.4 has less bugs tham 2.5.1 but I think the light can dim a bit more in 2.5.1 than 2.4 which suits me.

Barney
Barneyabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #455
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I read for 2-3 days on my mini as I was trying some different things with my Aura shelves, and it wasn't actually pleasant to go back to the large amount of text displayed per screen on the Aura.
I have this kind of feeling too. So there are some books I prefer to read on the Mini and others on the Aura. I can't tell for sure which books are going to each device yet, but I'm discovering that along the way
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #456
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
... Since Kobo doesn't know what your sideloaded ebooks are, the recommendations should have been related to what you bought at Kobo...
All the informations about your sideloaded books are stored in the KoboReader.sqlite. So I think that Kobo knows exactly what content is sideloaded, as soon as you sync your reader.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #457
samhy
Wizard

It was said in a different thread that Kobo were complying to Canadian laws and don't collect data when it's not from something bought from their store. But I might have misunderstood something.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #458
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was said in a different thread that Kobo were complying to Canadian laws and don't collect data when it's not from something bought from their store. But I might have misunderstood something.
When I sideloaded a few books on my brandnew Aura, again I had a problem with duplicated shelves and tried to remove them from the KoboReader.sqlite. There I realized database entries for eBooks that have never been before on my Aura, but on my Glo. This Information must be from the Kobo servers, so in my opinion they know about sideloaded books. Maybe I am wrong, it's only a guess.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #459
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Next time, don't forget to log out (of your account), that will clear the database and usually after that the update goes smoothly Iwould be too afraid to try and sideload the firmware
I decided to update my mini. So first I did the sync. The little wheel just kept spinning. I lost patience and logged out. It's kind of a pain to do that, when you have to completely re-set up the device. But it did install the new firmware, doing it that way. My books were still there, and my collections, which were all empty. Running it through Calibre restored the books to the shelves.

From now on, I'll side load any updates I have. I'm never going to sync again.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #460
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
When I sideloaded a few books on my brandnew Aura, again I had a problem with duplicated shelves and tried to remove them from the KoboReader.sqlite. There I realized database entries for eBooks that have never been before on my Aura, but on my Glo. This Information must be from the Kobo servers, so in my opinion they know about sideloaded books. Maybe I am wrong, it's only a guess.
If you sync to the Kobo servers, the shelves are synced, and which purchased kepubs are on them are synced. But, no details of the shelf state of sideloaded books are. Or any other details of the sideloaded books. This is definitely the case with my Glo and Touch. If I do a factory reset on one, the only info that reappears on it is the shelves and kepubs.

If you are seeing something else, I would be curious to see the database. I have never seen any evidence that showed the above wasn't true.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #461
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you sync to the Kobo servers, the shelves are synced, and which purchased kepubs are on them are synced. But, no details of the shelf state of sideloaded books are. Or any other details of the sideloaded books. This is definitely the case with my Glo and Touch. If I do a factory reset on one, the only info that reappears on it is the shelves and kepubs.
Same for me. I have original kepubs and (different) sideloaded ebooks on both devices. The reading stats, book (kepub) progressions and recommendations are synchronized. Nothing else -that I can see, that is

Regarding the 2.6.1, I might be a minority here, but I kind of like the flash which occurs when touching the first screen after sleep mode. On the Mini, I tend to have quite some ghosting from the cover. Using the sleepcover, I took the habit to do a vertical swipe to give me enough time to read. With this flash, there is no ghosting whatsoever
However, yesterday I turned the page just after leaving the sleep mode and because of the double flash I thought it skipped one page. I went back and was on the last read page It took me some time to get what had happened
Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #462
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are seeing something else, I would be curious to see the database. I have never seen any evidence that showed the above wasn't true.
In my case I only once purchased a book from Kobo, so after the first sync the database on a new device should contain no information on my sideloaded books. I'm pretty sure, it did. But I also know you as an expert, I much appreciate. Maybe I am mistaken here. I'll have a closer look. If I can reproduce this, I will send you a copy of my database.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #463
trekk
Terraner

Apologies to Kobo, David and everyone else I might have confused! I made a factory reset and checked my KoboReader.sqlite. In the database I could only find information about my shelves, no information about any sideloaded eBook. Sorry again!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #464
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Just a quick mention that I finally had 2.6.1 delivered to my Touch yesterday. Went fairly smoothly. I am very happy to have the zoomed pdf ghosting & sd-card covers bugs fixed.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #465
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I decided to update my mini. So first I did the sync. The little wheel just kept spinning. I lost patience and logged out. It's kind of a pain to do that, when you have to completely re-set up the device. But it did install the new firmware, doing it that way. My books were still there, and my collections, which were all empty. Running it through Calibre restored the books to the shelves.

From now on, I'll side load any updates I have. I'm never going to sync again.
I always backup my database before updating. Then if anything goes wrong I simply copy the saved database back. So far it has been working fine, saving my bacon a couple of times.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote