Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I just went to Amazon's site and figured I'd download the K4PC v1.9.x and it downloaded the old version 1.8.3. Tried on another computer and same thing. Any insight on this?

Carol
I don't know about new downloads, but install any old version and it will offer to update itself to 1.9.1 (or at least, all mine have).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
New tools are just out that fix the problem with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.9.x.

Thread about the new tools here.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #63
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know about new downloads, but install any old version and it will offer to update itself to 1.9.1 (or at least, all mine have).
Changed my setting to automatically update but so far no luck. May be because I got fed up when it kept asking me if I wanted to update and I clicked to skip this version. LOL.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #64
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seems pretty random. I just downloaded and installed today on brand-new computer and ended up with v1.8.3. But I've also got v1.9.0 and v1.9.1 on different computers, too. All downloaded from the same page at Amazon. I'm not sure what they've got going on there. Try refreshing the webpage a lot while logging out and back in (that's just a wild-a$$ idea, I have no idea if it will make a difference, but I know I see two completely different styles on Amazon's website depending on what browser/computer I'm using).
Well not having any luck. It did update on another computer but the one I mainly use for my ebooks, no luck. Keeps downloading 1.8.3. I've checked to update automatically to see if that will do anything, but nothing so far. Rebooted still nothing. May be because I got frustrated with it asking me if I wanted to update to 1.9.1 before on this computer and I clicked to skip this version. LOL. I went to a couple of sites that list the files, filehippo and oldversions but they just have 1.9.0 and if I remember correctly that version had problems.

Carol
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #65
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Set 1.8.3 to auto-update and it will when you run it again. Then when you are using 1.9.1, turn off auto-update.
Tried that. No luck yet.

Carol
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #66
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle for PC Update Fiasco

http://mademers.com/globalindieautho...some-believed/

Quote:
Turns out these negative changes were the result of programmer error, and Amazon has cancelled the 1.9.1 update and rolled back to version 1.8.3. This is now the only version you can download off the KDP website. Once the bugs are fixed, the next update will be 1.9.2.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Many Kindle for PC users were outraged to discover that the updated Kindle for PC app no longer views books created or purchased outside of Amazon. It was believed this was a deliberate act on Amazon’s part to prevent purchases of mobi or prc files from competitor sites.

Turns out these negative changes were the result of programmer error, and Amazon has cancelled the 1.9.1 update and rolled back to version 1.8.3. This is now the only version you can download off the KDP website. Once the bugs are fixed, the next update will be 1.9.2.
Funny thing is... v1.9.0 and 1.9.1 would still view non-Amazon (DRM-free) content just fine. You simply had to manually copy it to the "My Kindle Content" folder yourself, first. The only functionality that was lost was the ability to double-click the file (or right-click->Open with) to view the non-Amazon content in K4PC.

I don't really care that much, but I'm just not buying the "programmer error" part. I think they purposely made it harder to view non-Amazon content and way too many people screamed "foul!" So they back-pedaled.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't care that much, but I'm just not buying "programmer error." I think they purposely made it harder to view non-Amazon content and way too many people screamed "foul!" So they back-pedaled.
Hey, why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, right?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #70
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!
Yes, exactly, conspiracy theories can be so much more entertaining.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #71
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Hm, I just decided to dl and update K4PC and got 1.8.3 too. It's actually enough of an improvement from 1.4.1 that I think I'll just leave it there for a while unless there is some reason not to?

Ah, I see it has been explained.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm actually not putting much stock in the "version 1.9.1 update was yanked by Amazon" report that was given in that link up-thread. There have been many claims that v1.9.1 has been downloaded since then, and I myself got prompted yesterday by the K4PC app to update to 1.9.1 (which clearly indicates it supports KF8). Plus I've never found any corroborating evidence for that report.

I'm not exactly sure why some people are still getting v1.8.3 instead of 1.9.1—I suspect they're just rolling the update out extra slowly for some reason. But the fact that I just updated to 1.9.1 (via the normal "check for updates" feature of the app) is clearly in direct contradiction with any reports that the 1.9.1 version was "canceled" by Amazon.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #73
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just downloaded Kindle4PC from the American Amazon site and it was still version 1.8.3. Is it possible that 1.9.1 is only for the British site?

I only use Amazon purchased books. Maybe 1.9.1 is only being released to those who Amazon detected with non-Amazon sold books on their PC's. Remember, Amazon has cookies on everyone's PC and knows which books we have there,

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No they don't. People have endlessly analysed the data traffic between a Kindle and Amazon; Amazon do NOT know what books you have on your device. This kind of "misinformation" really isn't helpful to anyone.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #75
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Why is there a problem getting 1.9.1?

Quote:
No they don't. People have endlessly analysed the data traffic between a Kindle and Amazon; Amazon do NOT know what books you have on your device. This kind of "misinformation" really isn't helpful to anyone.
Then, why is 1.9.1 not available to me today from their American site? I just did a download and it was 1.8.3 which I already have.

I'd like to get the latest version but it isn't there.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote