Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
moshen
moshen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Page breaks for Kindle conversion

Hi there,

I am using Calibre to convert a short (30 page) ebook for Kindle. I used "styles" in Word to create forced page breaks for new chapters, and when I converted that to PDF, it looked correct. However, when I used Calibre to turn the PDF into a .mobi file, there are no page breaks. All the text just flows continuously and there is no marker for the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next.

Since this is the first of many ebooks I am creating for Kindle, I am wondering if anyone would be willing to look at my files and tell me what I am doing wrong and what I need to do differently. I am willing to pay a small consulting fee for this, contingent on a satisfactory answer that solves the problem for me.

I am not a very technical person, so if you are going to tell me how to solve the problem please make your explanation easy for a beginner to understand and follow.

Thank you!
moshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do not convert from PDF. PDF is not an eBook format, and will not convert cleanly to other formats.

If you're using Word, save your book from Word in RTF format, and then convert that will Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct subforum.

What HarryT said. If you still don't get pagebreaks using an RTF file, you should have a look at your conversion settings, especially the page break after- and chapter mark- settings (I'm not at home right now, so I don't have access to Calibre- the actual names may be different).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
moshen
moshen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thankyou very much! I did what you suggested, and that solved the page break problem completely.

The only remaining problem now in the conversion is that on the opening page, the book cover appears as a tiny, unreadable thumbnail image rather than taking up the whole page.

Previously I didn't have this problem when I converted from PDF. But now in RTF, how should I handle the cover image so that it comes out correctly?

Thank you again.

Moshen
moshen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion, kindle, page breaks