Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #46
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
I bought the Nook Tablet last weekend, thinking it could replace my Nook Classic and my Netbook for travel, since I'm pretty much going to be on the road every weekend in February and March for work - to be honest, I think it's a great little device, it may just not be for me.

I didn't root it or hack it, but I did install Launcher Pro and I now have it running the regular Android screen from that Launcher. It's like having a larger version of my Atrix (without the annoying work emails because I refused to set up my corporate email ), and playing Mahjong and Scrabble have been fun, as has surfing the web and checking out my usual sites. It's nice and light and thin, and as an eReader, I love the shape and size. I downloaded the Android version of my home media server, so I've been able to stream home media to it. The video is crisp and clear, although it lags a little, which I think is the video...a preview of Mob Wives got out of sync (don't judge me!) and it ended up beeping the wrong words, so I was falling over with laughter at the preview (pretty sure they added the beeps in post-production with the video because my husband and I heard every F word once the video got out of sync ).

The Nook Tablet itself is a nifty little device, but I'm not quite sure that it's for me because I'm not sure that I'm a tablet person. I know there's an issue with copy/paste (which is one of the main frustrations if I want to reply to a thread on a message board), although the keyboard is amazingly sensitive and easy to type on, but when it comes down to it, I feel like I want my Nook Classic to read my books, and I want my Netbook to surf the web. I am also a tech geek, and didn't think that the Tablet not being an open-source Android tablet would annoy me, but to be honest...it kinda does.

I'm going to give it another day or two to decide. For an eReader Tablet, I think it's pretty well-done and would meet the needs of a lot of people. I just want to be able to do more than it's capable of doing, and that's me, that's not the Tablet.

I don't like the way that the new Nook Touch feels (we got one for my mom for Christmas since she loves my Classic, and I've been setting it up for her, so I've been able to try it out before I wrap it up), so I hope my Classic lasts quite awhile. As far as a tablet, this may not be the one for me, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for anyone else - I think it's just a matter of personal preference.
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #47
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Both my wife and I have been using Nook Colors for a while now. She is running straight stock (just updated her to new release), I have CM7 running on mine. Both are used as readers, I just have CM7 so that I can read my Kindle books two.

As a tablet... they are lacking. As E-Readers, we like them very much.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #48
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
On the whole, I don't think I'd return my Nook Color (NC) even if the return window hadn't expired. I've been satisfied with it although I haven't made much use of it as an ebook reader. Instead, I use it mostly for playing games, watching videos and viewing pictures, and left my ebook reading to my Sony Reader (with an e-ink screen). Unfortunately, my Sony Reader's battery life has recently taken a drastic downturn due to age and so I'm going to start using my NC as an ebook reader.

When it comes to ebooks, PDF is my preferred format (mainly due to the reliable control that it gives me over my ebook's formatting and that I can easily make ebooks in the format). Although my NC does a functional job as a PDF reader out of the box, I found that I needed a better PDF reading application and the EZ PDF Reader is a solid improvement over the default PDF reading application. It added many useful features, including bookmarking, autopage flipping, and voice reading.

As I gain experience with my NC as an ebook reader, I will continue to use it for that purpose if it turns out to be a good fit for me as an ebook reader. In some ways it reminds of my original ebook reader, a Palm PDA (like with the NC, I can add applications, choose my ebook reader, and use it for many other functions). That was a device I was very happy with as an ebook reader. Its only drawbacks were the small screen size (addressed by my NC) and the lighted screen.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #49
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Is one able to highlight text and take notes in books on the NC?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #50
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Is one able to highlight text and take notes in books on the NC?
Yes, you can for both. You can even choose different colors for highlights. However, there is no way to export the items.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #51
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
My first eReader. My first tablet. Never had a smart phone.

CM7 Rocks!

You'll have to pry it out my cold dead fingers!
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #52
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I love my Nook Colors. I have two Nook Color's running MiRaGe 12122011 (CM7 7.2 variant) overclocked to 1.2Ghz. VTL Launcher is pretty cool and I like the Honeycomb 3D-SB theme (installed from Theme Chooser app).

I like to use mine for reading both books (Moon+ Pro Reader) and Pulse for the news and Tapatalk for forums (not this one unfortunately). And it is certainly better for reading in bed than an eink reader. My almost 7 year old uses one Nook Color mostly for the games. Its great to take in the car, to the restaurant, etc. Keeps him entertained... and there are so many apps to choose from. 7" is a better size to take with us than the 9.7" hp touchpad we also have.

I like the Trident cases for the Nook Colors since they seem indestructible and look good and GlareShatter screen protectors.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #53
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I really like my Nook Color. So much so that I gave my Slick ER701 to my youngest son, and sent my iriver Story HD to my mother in Ohio. The only thing I don't like about it is it's really heavy compared to the Story HD.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks for mentioning the Trident case. It is just what I wanted. I hadn't heard of them before.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote