Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
android tablet questions

Sorry if these might seem like dumb questions but I have no experience with the android system only the apple ipad and iphone and I need flash support.
From what I have read android 2.2 has flash support. I have seen a couple of different tablets on e-bay that offer 2.1 will they truely offer flash? Also, I keep seeing that some devices are not part of the android market, what exactly does that mean and how do I find out if the one I want is? The copule I am looking at are around 200 dollars
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
Sorry if these might seem like dumb questions but I have no experience with the android system only the apple ipad and iphone and I need flash support.
From what I have read android 2.2 has flash support. I have seen a couple of different tablets on e-bay that offer 2.1 will they truely offer flash? Also, I keep seeing that some devices are not part of the android market, what exactly does that mean and how do I find out if the one I want is? The copule I am looking at are around 200 dollars
Android 2.2 does have flash support, although it's a bit shaky. 2.1, to my knowledge, doesn't have any option for Flash.
Google has defined specific criterias for having access to the Android market. Basically, it's the specs of smartphones, i.e. GPS.
If units don't have access to the market, usually there still are some backdoors. Apps can be downloaded from various sources (similar to .exe-files in windows, in Android it's .apk files).
As an example, you find lots of .apk files (for example Kindle or nook app) here: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
With any kind of file explorer on your Android unit, you simply can install them.
Less convenient than direct access to the Android market, but usually still workable.

Normally, you'll find in the specs, whether there's direct access to the Android market or not.
If it's not mentioned, most likely it's not there.
If you ask for a specific unit, members in this forum most likely will know.

The $ 200 units usually are "no-names" from China. Lots of them don't have access to the Android market.
If that's your price point, I'd consider the new nook color. It won't have direct access. But Barnes & Noble will offer something similar and there probably will be a huge scene of hackers...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert