Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygates View Post
A leftfield reason to power down: so that what you're reading isn't on display to the world.

Seems that cheesy romance novels are a huge sleeper hit for publishers, and the thinking is that people want to read them, but don't want to be seen reading them.
Speaking for my Sony 505, the screen blanks when you put it into standby anyway.

As for the cheesy romance novels, they're not exactly a sleeper - they've been at 50%+ of all mass market fiction sales for years if not decades.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of the devices I have personal knowledge of, rather more do NOT have a good standby life, than do.

The following devices have a decent battery life in standby mode:

Sony PRS-500/505
Amazon Kindle
Hanlin V3/V5 and clones (BeBook, Aztak, etc)

While the following devices do NOT have a good standby battery life (a week or less):

iRex iLiad, DR1000, DR800
Bookeen CyBook, Opus
Sony PRS-600
BeBook Neo/Onyx Book 60
B&N nook
Pocketbook 360
To add to the list...
I've turned of my Sony PRS-900 maybe once or twice in the last 2 months, whenever I am done reading or walking away from it for more than a minute or two I put it in standby mode. I have to recharge my battery about every 2 weeks.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I turn off my Sony PRS 505 because if I don't, I find strange things on the screen when I come back to it. (By strange I mean -- not what I expect to see. Like, a different page, or back in the book catalog instead of my last read page, stuff like that.)

I think I'm inadvertantly pushing buttons through the cover (I have the light wedge) and the best way to prevent that is to turn it off.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I turn off my Sony PRS 505 because if I don't, I find strange things on the screen when I come back to it. (By strange I mean -- not what I expect to see. Like, a different page, or back in the book catalog instead of my last read page, stuff like that.)

I think I'm inadvertantly pushing buttons through the cover (I have the light wedge) and the best way to prevent that is to turn it off.
That's why I also put mine in stand by when I'm carrying it - even from one room to another. I changed books accidentally once (at the end of a chapter), and didn't realize it for a paragraph or two
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post

Why don't you simply slide the power switch? This, as you know, puts it into standby mode. It does NOT turn it off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Why don't you simply slide the power switch? This, as you know, puts it into standby mode. It does NOT turn it off.
That is what I do -- I think of that as "off" -- and I'm trying to explain why I turn it off and what happens when I don't.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread is discussing the very fundamental difference between putting a device into "standby" and turning it off, so it is a fairly important distinction to make .

The so-called "power switch" on the 505 does nothing other than to blank the screen and lock most of the buttons. In order to shut it down, you have to use the menu and select "Shutdown".
Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Not true with all devices. Many devices have a battery life of a few days in "standby" mode, but will, of course, last much longer when turned off.
Fair enough, I only own a Kindle and the Sony PRS-505 was the only other I looked into when researching the decision as I wanted a reader from a major company with a big e-book store attached.

So I never read up much on the other random e-ink devices. So thanks for the clarification.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Have you looked into library book borrowing? If you have access in Canada, you will be able to read best sellers for free with some Readers.

I haven't played with scripts for removing pesky DRM yet. I'm not very tech savy, and don't live close to family members who are.

I only read plain pdf's from feedbooks using their custom template. I mainly use ePub and lrf.

Good Luck on making your choice.
Quote:
I know that the Toronto library system, and I'm pretty sure that the Vancouver library, offer the option of taking out e-books. There are probably other library systems in Canada that offer it as well, so it might be something to take into consideration before purchasing.
I do know that Ottawa public library does have ebooks to borrow (not sure on the selection) and I do know the Kobo should be able to read those files no problem. The jetbook lite seems to not be able to read them (although apparently firmware coming out to change that, but who knows). hmmmmm more to think about since I would really like to be able to read the library ebooks
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #25
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I turn it OFF instead of on standby if I don't think I'm gonna read anymore that day.
I installed PRS+ on it and made the RIGHT center button OFF button when reading a book. Kept it SIMPLE and battery lasts months!
It takes about 40 seconds to start up , so I'm not doing the OFF if there is chance of me reading more that day.
Without PRS+ it was a PAIN to turn it OFF because I had to go through 3 menu pages to find it. Now it's EASY and find I use the OFF more often.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

On the later models of the Sony Reader, sliding and holding the power switch for a few seconds does a shutdown, which makes it considerably more convenient.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Even on my PRS-900 I don't ever fully shut down, despite the convenience. Battery life is well over a week for me with the wireless connection switched off. I sleep it for the same reason noted, not wanting to come back to a different page or book than I left. The 900's Home button is taller than the others so the cover tends to press it if I carry it around while "on."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
While the following devices do NOT have a good standby battery life (a week or less):

iRex iLiad, DR1000, DR800

FYI, the iLiad and DR1000 don't have a standby mode.

The DR800's standby mode usually lasts for at least 2 weeks.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote