Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With rights go responsibilities too. I would therefore add:

I will not knowingly deprive any author or publishers of income by downloading a book that I have not bought a paper copy of, nor will I illegally download an eBook when there is a legal version available.

I will not give copies of my DRM-free eBooks to anybody, unless this is sanctioned by the author or publisher.

I'd put thatta one up there at number one.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
With rights go responsibilities too. I would therefore add:

I will not knowingly deprive any author or publishers of income by downloading a book that I have not bought a paper copy of, nor will I illegally download an eBook when there is a legal version available.

I will not give copies of my DRM-free eBooks to anybody, unless this is sanctioned by the author or publisher.
Harry, what about books that are out of print, if we make a promise to buy the commercial ebook if it ever becomes available?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Harry, what about books that are out of print, if we make a promise to buy the commercial ebook if it ever becomes available?
I have no ethical issues with downloading eBooks when something is out of print. My concern is, as you know, not with the legality or otherwise of downloading, but ensuring that the author (and publisher) get their "dues".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
11.(I think we are up to 11) All series will be clearly marked as such and information will include the planned number of books in the series. Any author embarking on a series of more than 3 books will provide their age and where appropriate blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no ethical issues with downloading eBooks when something is out of print. My concern is, as you know, not with the legality or otherwise of downloading, but ensuring that the author (and publisher) get their "dues".
We are in complete agreement.
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
11.(I think we are up to 11) All series will be clearly marked as such and information will include the planned number of books in the series. Any author embarking on a series of more than 3 books will provide their age and where appropriate blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Well, I have to use this smiley:

Because I did Laugh Out Loud at this. But it does apply as much to books in general as to ebooks in particular.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Well, I have to use this smiley:

Because I did Laugh Out Loud at this. But it does apply as much to books in general as to ebooks in particular.
heh, i laughed at that too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
May be a subsection of #4 and is applicable to pbooks as well;

#4.1) No Omnibus books unless clearly labeled in large letters with the original titles also in large letters.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
12. All books will be proofread.

I'm loving the Stephanie Plum books, too, but I've never seen so many OCR errors in a commercial ebook. It makes me stabby.

Edit:

Oh, and DG, I solved this by having DH reading them at the same time. We both have Kindles. We read 2-7 on our last trip. I swear my sides hurt from laughing so hard.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote