Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Jimf
Jimf began at the beginning.

Device: Trying to decide
Trying to decide..but do any have word search

Hi

I'm really intersted in getting a Book Reader and from a price point of view the Cyboob, bebook and Sony seem to be in my reach

But as one of the things I read (and reread) are long technical books / documents, one of the features I'm looking for is the ability to search an ebook for a word and then find the next occurrance etc.

Do any of these reader have this funtion (I've look in manuals etc but I'm still not clear)

If not does any book reader have a word search function ?
(I'm in the UK so the Amazon Kindle is not really an option)

Many thanks

Jim
Jimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine has a very good search feature.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Jimf
Jimf began at the beginning.

Device: Trying to decide
Thanks DixieGal but the 1150 is shippable to USA and Canada only (from the ebookwise site)
Jimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimf View Post
I'm really intersted in getting a Book Reader and from a price point of view the Cyboob, bebook and Sony seem to be in my reach

But as one of the things I read (and reread) are long technical books / documents, one of the features I'm looking for is the ability to search an ebook for a word and then find the next occurrance etc.
The Sony has no way to search book content. The Kindle does, but you nixed that. I think the CyBook has search. The Jetbook also has a find feature, but it is liminted in it's supported formats. But, they are not going to be nice like on your PC due to the slow screen and limited screen real estate.

Have you considered something like an EEE Pc or MSI Wind or maybe something like the Nokia 800/810? They are a bit more expensive than an eBook reader device but searching would be nicer and faster. Also, many "eBooks" of Technical manuals/docs are still only done in PDF.... and viewing PDF on 6inch eInk readers is very rough... I'm sure you've read the many threads on this issue... if not... just do a search on PDF in thread titles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually you *can* have the eb1150 shipped outside the us (i did) if you buy it from the ebay seller.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Bookeen Cybook Gen3 does not have the ability to search eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the CyBook has search.
No - there's no search on the CyBook. It has dictionary lookup, but not search.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader on a Nokia N800 or N810 will do word search (but not dictionary lookup). I have not used my Nokia 770 for PDFs, but some have reported that reading PDFs (separate reader) is also ok on this device (others say not), despite its small screen. However, I don't know if you can search in a PDF. There are several threads about N8X0 and similar devices, e.g. In defence of PPC/PDA/Nokia tablet: ebook readers and Eink Display's (Sony PRS505) vs. Nokia N800's LCD Display.

You can also use FBReader on an iLiad, but it is more expensive than the 6" EInk devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote