Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #3616
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Question to developers:

I want to edit a specific TXT-file with the MEMO-App on/with my reader. How to manage it?

More info:

I have a specific TXT-file on a specific place on the reader. I want to be able to edit this file with the memo-application. Why?
Idea is to edit CSS-files without plug the reader to the PC. I tried to solve it with the functionality allready exists (copy notes to txt and vice versa).

My code goes like that:
Code:
case 'CopyTo':
	Core.shell.exec ('cp -f /Data/Notepads/1334415424314.963.note.txt /Data/database/system/PRSPlus/epub/CSS/extern.css'); 
break;

case 'CopyFrom':
	Core.shell.exec ('cp -f /Data/database/system/PRSPlus/epub/CSS/extern.css /Data/Notepads/1334415424314.963.note.txt'); 
break; 
Problem is a NEW TXT-file in /Notepads will not be recognized as Memo. And every new memo gets a new filename. If I would delete this note, code is not working any longer.

Any ideas?

A.
Hi Analogus,

A Sony memo is more than just a text file. It has a lot of other metadata and a specific format. So your code would need to read the content of the css file and incorporate it properly into a memo file. However, this should be possible. Just look at a memo created by the reader to see the format.

Then, when the memo is saved you would need to extract the text and save it off as a css file. That part, at least, has mostly been done for you in the SaveNotepadData addon. You would need to modify this code to change the destination file.

The problem is, though, that all of this will conflict with the existing SaveNotepadData addon. I am not sure how easy it would be to get everything working together...

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #3617
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi Ben

Thanks. I have had of course a look into SaveNotepadData but without success. My knowledge seems to be too low to use this code.

Annother (cumbersome but working) possibility would be to be able to extract the name of the last added Memo. Any information to do that?

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #3618
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hi Ben

Thanks. I have had of course a look into SaveNotepadData but without success. My knowledge seems to be too low to use this code.

Annother (cumbersome but working) possibility would be to be able to extract the name of the last added Memo. Any information to do that?

A.
Yes. Do a directory listing of the directory in which the memos are saved to and return the last one (since the filenames are generated using the date and time when the memo is saved).

Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #3619
wintrup
wintrup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, PRS-350
Hi everyone. Just to say I do think PRS+ fits very nicely on my PRS-350 and thanks to the developers for all their work. That said, I also have the battery drain problem and have had to uninstall it back to firmware 1.0.00.14080. I'm now waiting to see if it will hold it's charge.
wintrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3620
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintrup View Post
Hi everyone. Just to say I do think PRS+ fits very nicely on my PRS-350 and thanks to the developers for all their work. That said, I also have the battery drain problem and have had to uninstall it back to firmware 1.0.00.14080. I'm now waiting to see if it will hold it's charge.
The only time I've ever experienced unusual battery drain with my 350 and PRS+ is when I would put the reader in sleep mode without exiting a game. For some reason that does drain the battery. If you always make sure you go back to your book first and then put the reader to sleep, there's no unusual battery drain at all (other than higher drain while actually playing a game, that does take more power).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3621
wintrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kek View Post
Hello all.
Whatever the book, in standby it eats battery. Before going to bed, battery is full. In the morning only one bar left.
With the Lechuck Version everything went smoothly, so I reverted the only new option I ticked.

Kek
I'm not clear here Kek. Are you saying that you're now using the Lechuck version or v2.1.01 successfully?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #3622
wintrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The only time I've ever experienced unusual battery drain with my 350 and PRS+ is when I would put the reader in sleep mode without exiting a game. For some reason that does drain the battery. If you always make sure you go back to your book first and then put the reader to sleep, there's no unusual battery drain at all (other than higher drain while actually playing a game, that does take more power).
No game, I only use the 350 for reading, so far. And I always put it into sleep mode manually.

I'm going to see if the default firmware has remedied the problem and then give v2.1.01 another shot before trying Lechuck. This software is just too good not to try what I can to get it working correctly.

Last edited by wintrup; 04-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #3623
wintrup

Oh man. This just goes from bad to worse. Well I was impatient so I installed v2.1.01 again and got the same problem as happened yesterday: after unmounting device it freezes in loading state (circled arrows not moving and status bar says loading...). Now I can't seem to get it out of this state. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #3624
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A view words from my viewpoint concerning battery-problem:

I have 2 350 with latest PRS+ installed (without games).
Both normally doesn't suffer mentioned battery-problem. Nor with older version of PRS+ nor with newer ones. I've to admit that since a couple of months I use my own custom builds without games.
Every time I startet a game, battery drained very quickly, esp. chess.

Very seldom battery drained over night. So far as I can say that - reason has been in any case a specific eBook, not PRS+. After deleting this book problems vansihed.

wintrup:

1) reset your reader with pushing the pinhole (do not forget to switch it on again after a couple of seconds waiting - otherwise it seems to be frozen)

2) If this doesn't help reset the reader and plug it imediatly to you PC. Reader will start in 'save-mode' without loading PRS+. Copy everything from the reader to your PC (to have a backup). Delete everything from your reader. Restart again and look how it goes. If OK, install PRS+ again and copy everything back from PC onto your reader. Overwrite existing files when asked.

3) If that does not help, ask here on MB.

Normally there is no problem installing PRS+. Problems in most cases are induced (my experience) by other files (books, pictures, ...).

A.

Edit: on more word:
Alternatively you can try my altered PRS+ from my website (link on the bottom of this posting). It's without games (be sure to download 'ZORK-Edition) and works flawless on my reader. Reverting back is simple and without troubles.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-16-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #3625
wintrup

Quote:
Normally there is no problem installing PRS+. Problem in most cases (my experience) are other files (books, pictures, ...).
Hey thanks for advice Analogus. In the end I did a hard reset just in case it was a file, ebook or setting causing the problems. I now have a virgin 350. I will now try and to a fresh install of PRS+ and hope that this time all is good. I will report back.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #3626
Analogus
Fanatic

That's best (and most brute) method you can try (and the last possible ;-). I have to hard-reset my reader from time to time when a file-corruption-message appear. No problems beyond. Man gets used to it and heard-beating appears more seldom...

A.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #3627
srs
srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 300
I have a prs 300 and currently all books, no matter where they are in the filesystem, are scanned into the library. I would like to change that so that I can exclude some books from being scanned into the library or have only one folder that is scanned into the library. (say that I only want books under "database\media\books" scanned into the library, and \books\star trek\ not scanned into the library and only accessed through browse folders). Is this possible?
srs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #3628
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi srs,

this should definitely be possible.
I was thinking about excluding "beta-pack" folder(s) from scanning, and most probably Ben and/or quisvir have achieved it for the notes-addon.

But to simplify things, I would opt for a set of excluded folders, to be specified in a special configuration file like "preferd-folders" for Browse-Folders.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #3629
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
The implementation I did for notepads is a bit strange, in that it doesn't actually affect scanning, it just filters them out afterwards. But it should be easy enough to add a proper filter by overruling kbook.model.scanning (as this is where the Sony fw sets its own excluded folders).
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #3630
srs
srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.srs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs 300
Thanks Mark and quisvir! Eagerly looking forward to this being implemented
srs is offline   Reply With Quote